Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World Lounge Access with Children

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
We always took our three children in PE until the eldest was 18, and then he took over the minding responsibilities in return for one J trip :-)
Old May 8, 2019, 10:36 am

Each to their own I guess.

The hotel analogy is a good one.

The best way to start a "family holiday" is to split up the family? Not sure what message that sends.

What's next? We'll go to the airport in a Limo, and the kids get to ride in a clapped out taxi?

All different parenting choices, I get it.

rb211.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As you rightly say, it is parenting style, and everyone is entitled to follow their own.

I differ slightly to you, in that I want my children to benefit from what I earn, and would rather treat them as equals. Just because I did not have something as a child, does not mean they should not.

So, when we travel, we sit in the same cabin of travel. Why? Because I was brought up to embrace the importance of togetherness and family.

By the same token, when we book a hotel, I make sure we all stay in the same hotel. If I book a Hilton, I'd rather not send my kids round the corner to a Premier Inn. However, that of course, is simply parenting style.

M
Of course, and the above is absolutely respectable and no better no worse than what I do. I never meant to "look down" or judge anyone. Just expressed a very personal feeling I have. That is all.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
But - and let's be absolutely honest here - your heart does sink just a little, doesn't it?
I never had issues with children flying close to me in my J biz trips.

TBH, and I know I am going to make a controversial comment here in the age of political correctness, in my experience children in J/F are much more well behaved than many in Y.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
OP could upgrade to F, if there’s availability, for 20k and probably £70 fees. F gets you a guest in the CCR.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
If the OP was really desperate for lounge access, they could buy a couple of throw away tickets for the nippers on a CE flight. I suspect one of the parents would need to buy a ticket on the same flight, but that could be in Y.

I agree with others, Plane Food would be my recommendation, and frankly you’re more likely to see me in there, I prefer it to all the lounges in T5 including the CCR.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Am I the only one who would ask the kids what they prefer? At their age I treat them as having agency. (Yea, I know, I'm an unreconstructed soixtante-huitard and it shows).

Last edited by fripperies; May 8, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
As an aside from the parenting style battles, my two cents on this thread can be summated thus:

Ew, you lot all have kids?
Old May 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by RB211
Each to their own I guess.
The hotel analogy is a good one.
I don't think it was.
A different property is not the same as a different cabin on the same aircraft. A more accurate hotel analogy would be same hotel, different floors or suite for adults room for children. IMHO.
Andriyko likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I don't think it was.
A different property is not the same as a different cabin on the same aircraft. A more accurate hotel analogy would be same hotel, different floors or suite for adults room for children. IMHO.
Yes, not quite the same. But close enough to make the point I think. In fact separate hotels is slightly better (maybe) in that if there is an emergency, it is likely to affect only one hotel not both, so either the parents deal with their emergency and don't have to worry about the kids, or they only have to worry about the kids and not themselves. Whereas in a plane it is likely to affect both...

Maybe this is the model for holidaying "with" our kids that we should employ... separate everything!

rb211.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
As an aside from the parenting style battles, my two cents on this thread can be summated thus:

Ew, you lot all have kids?
Someone has to!

rb211.
fripperies and noFODplease like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Yes, not quite the same. But close enough to make the point I think. In fact separate hotels is slightly better (maybe) in that if there is an emergency, it is likely to affect only one hotel not both, so either the parents deal with their emergency and don't have to worry about the kids, or they only have to worry about the kids and not themselves. Whereas in a plane it is likely to affect both...
I respectfully disagree, and I think your further description actually makes the point why it's not a good one.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC 1991
I am a newbie here but add my welcome to this forum.It looks like you have had a good deal of great advice as regards your original post (and I will add my tuppence below). You will need to filter out other stuff.Mrs BF and I took No 1 son to Washington with us last year (LHR-IAD WT+) with one Silver Card between us and had an enjoyable but expensive breakfast at Plane Foods. On the way home (JFK-LHR WT+ daytime flight) No 1 son overslept at the hotel so grateful for shower at JFK lounge while I breakfasted at the Golden Arches (not the worst breakfast I have eaten). Grin and bear it but involve everyone in the decision.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I respectfully disagree, and I think your further description actually makes the point why it's not a good one.
Fair enough.

rb211.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver

Maybe this is the model for holidaying "with" our kids that we should employ... separate everything!

rb211.
May as well go the whole hog and leave the kids at home!
snaxmuppet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.