Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World Lounge Access with Children

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'll add my welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum to others' bakker110!

I'm really sorry that you didn't get the answer you were hoping for but in effect, there are challenges which can be resolved and others which can't and this one, I'm afraid is of the latter kind. As others have pointed out, there is simply no way that the four of you will be able to get into the lounge, that simply isn't going to happen. Your two options are either that your partner and yourself can go into the lounge and the kids stay somewhere else (not recommended at all, as you point out, they seem too young for this) or that the four of your spend tie together somewhere else - either in the general area or in one of the many cafes and restaurants in the terminal. Those are basically the only options.

As pointed out by others, whilst it is actually allowed for the two children to travel on their own in Y as long as you are on the same flight, note that they won't be able to visit you in CW and BA crew equally won't take care of them. So they will basically be on their own and unless the flight has some empty seats (or it's an A380 and they end up on a window pair on the upper deck), that will be with at least one stranger next to them in their row as all other WT rows have either 3 or 4 seats each.

If that idea is uncomfortable for you, either your partner or yourself would be able to swap with one of the kids upon boarding so that one adult+one kid travel together in CW and one adult+one kid travel together in WT. However, the change would have to be for the whole duration of the flight as passengers can't swap mid-flight.
There's another possibility for the lounge, as I suggested upthread: First the girlfriend enters the lounge alone to enjoy some peace and quiet while OP stays outside and entertains the kids. Then at a predetermined time and place (or the adults use cell phones to coordinate), she leaves the lounge and takes responsibility for the kids in the terminal so that the OP can enter the lounge to spend a short amount of time there. Both adults are able to use the lounge briefly (and there's no rule that traveling companions entering the lounge on their own CW tickets must enter and leave together: they can use it sequentially.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

As others have said up-thread my concern with this is what happens if there is an emergency? The parents and children may understandably try to reach each other if they can, but this will impede the evacuation of others on-board.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:49 pm

Do the lounge dragons offer a child care service?
Old May 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Muttley
Do the lounge dragons offer a child care service?
Well they do regularly have to deal with DYKWIA elites.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
I would go to Plane Food. The 4 of you can settle in at a table and enjoy some food and drink while chatting about what you want to do in NYC. A table near the windows gives good aircraft views and there is always people spotting to do.

You are not missing much in the Club lounges.
Best advice of the thread ^

And almost certainly guaranteed to provide a more relaxing start to the trip - for ALL concerned - than any contrived attempts to secure access to what would very likely be an overcrowded Club lounge (with all the challenges of seating it could involve).
Old May 7, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
I cannot believe that someone would do this......leave the kids down the back while you have a jolly....slightly pathetic....
Old May 7, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Markx
I cannot believe that someone would do this......leave the kids down the back while you have a jolly....slightly pathetic....
I don't see anything wrong if it isn't against the rules.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:04 pm

I can't work out if you're jesting, but I definitely would once they're a little older, trouble is they've been in J (thanks to this forum), so I'm a little stuffed!
Old May 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

It's a while ago now, granted, but my parents always flew with me and my siblings down the back. If they had chosen to sit up front away from us we would have had grins from ear to ear.
Sit with them in plane food or whatever. Give them something nice to eat. They'll still relish the opportunity to get away from you for a few hours.
As others have said, you're not missing much in the lounges. There's little there for kids and the food isn't great.
If you're desperate to see for yourself then go and check out the lounges on your own.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
When I was about 8 years old, my parents gave me the leftover local currency, arranged a meeting time and place and off they went to the lounge. Never did me any harm - I'd have far rather been exploring the terminal and working out how to get the best value for my peso than sitting in a quiet lounge full of people reading newspapers!

Perhaps depends on how well-travelled the children are, but I'd recommend giving them a tenner and saying you'll meet them at the bottom of the escalators in an hour...
Old May 7, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by frandrake
+1 for having the kids flying Y - although I do not mean to judge anyone, I always felt flying kids around in J/F does not send the right message, especially if on hols.
Although you do not mean to judge anyone, your statement is inherently judgemental.

Just curious as to what pejorative "message" is being sent out if someone has the financial resources to.... GASP..... fly the whole family together on a plane in the same cabin.

I am flying with my wife and two kids (6 and 9yo) in F next month - would it be better optics we send the kids to business or to economy?
mradey likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to Flyertalk, bakker110

It’s very likely that your New York bound flight will board from T5B, which as it is less frenetic and of a more human scale than T5A, you’ll probably find the options more manageable there.

The lounge is perched above the main departure area so it’s possible to arrange a spot where your children can amuse themselves (plenty of views of the apron and taxiway theatre) allowing you to keep a watchful eye on them from the lounge above.
Davidjonesk likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Although you do not mean to judge anyone, your statement is inherently judgemental.

Just curious as to what pejorative "message" is being sent out if someone has the financial resources to.... GASP..... fly the whole family together on a plane in the same cabin.

I am flying with my wife and two kids (6 and 9yo) in F next month - would it be better optics we send the kids to business or to economy?
I think we're talking about messaging to the children (about not getting nice stuff until you've earned it) rather than what the other passengers/cabin crew think.

Although I did enjoy how frandrake caveats it with "especially if on hols" - I guess if you're sending your children to a business meeting, you should at least fuel them with champagne on the way...
Old May 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Deltus
I think we're talking about messaging to the children (about not getting nice stuff until you've earned it) rather than what the other passengers/cabin crew think.

Although I did enjoy how frandrake caveats it with "especially if on hols" - I guess if you're sending your children to a business meeting, you should at least fuel them with champagne on the way...
Travel to a funeral? Or as part of a long distance move, when parents might want to make the trip a special treat to generate positive association.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
What's the appeal of trying to gain access to the BA lounge for the OP? The group are unlikely to find comfy seats for 4 people together, the food is mediocre and half the group can't drink.

I definitely would not be paying for access to the Aspire lounge as it's dreadful. A table at Plane Food is the way to go here, as mentioned up thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.