Wiki Posts
Search

The problem with theoretical seating

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
The problem with theoretical seating

Without wishing to sound a snob, but the problem with them blocking seats next to Golds, is some of the people who get allocated the seat when the flight is full (who didn’t check in until the airport).
pacenotes likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
This is a little unclear.. are you saying the problem is that the seat block is removed when the flight is full?
Old May 4, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: QF WP
Presumably that when the block is removed as the flight is full, the people assigned the now unblocked seats are perhaps inexperienced travellers or in some other way undesirable
frandrake likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Sometimes I wonder if the only problem with Theoretical Seating is the fact we actually know about it, leading some to expect way too much of an unpublished and in my opinion rather sophisticated perk.

Last edited by noFODplease; May 4, 2019 at 11:39 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
I’m not sure if TS predates CE on domestics, but before CE on domestic runs you could guarantee that 1B, if allocated, would try to keep her handbag at her feet.... the implication being that the last to check in, usually inexperienced travellers, would be placed in those seats that were attempted to be kept clear.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Yes when the block is removed you get those who didn’t check in online. The people next to me today are, quite frankly, a bit weird.

You often get those who get up and go to the loo even during a short flight, people who constantly want things from their bags, etc.

It’s not the end of the world, but just something I’ve noticed.
Deltus likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Yes when the block is removed you get those who didn’t check in online. The people next to me today are, quite frankly, a bit weird.

You often get those who get up and go to the loo even during a short flight, people who constantly want things from their bags, etc.

It’s not the end of the world, but just something I’ve noticed.
Sometimes people need to go to the toilet, even on short flights. So - is this thread about having to sit next to people that need a few things from their bag? Both issues seem to be unrelated to seating policy in this case. Regardless of how BA manage seating you may end up sat next to someone that needs the toilet - or isn't a very organised/experienced traveller. I apologise, I don't really know what you are getting at here.

Are you sure you are not simply miffed/annoyed that the seat next to you ended up occupied?
Old May 5, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think I understand what the OP is getting at. If I understand correctly the OP is suggesting that the people that are allocated seats that were previously blocked and then unblocked as the flight fills up are probably the least experienced flyers. They might not have used OLCI possibly because they don't know it is important to check in early or perhaps they are not good with tech and because they are infrequent flyers they might have some rather non-standard or unusual ways when flying perhaps through their inexperience.

Personally, when I fly I try to assume that I will have these inexperienced people around me because they are always on the flight somewhere and in all likelihood will be near or next to me. I nearly always try to get a window seat so I don't have to keep getting up for others. I am not sure we can complain at having inexperienced flyers on the flight. I would just try to help them to enjoy the flight and they may become more experienced in the future. Fly on your own terms and try not to let the actions of others bother you and you will have a more relaxed experience yourself
Old May 5, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Indeed, snaxmuppet. In fact, when I travel if the biggest issue I have with my seat neighbour is the odd trip to the bathroom and a couple of extra visits to the overhead locker, then that's actually a good travel day
antichef, Pascoe, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I know exactly what you mean, Vgravity. Though, on occasion, when I'm in the exit row aisle seat and there's a goldie at the window, it can end up being a case of a rose between two thorns as well.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:44 am

Couple of other things to mention though - firstly there can be a number of reasons why even experienced travellers may be late checking in or being allocated a seat. And secondly, even experienced late checking travellers can have travel habits that some fellow passengers might find odd or irritating. I don't deny their could be a correlation here, but I'm not sure things are always that clear cut.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:48 am

I'm more sensitive to seat neighbours with halitosis and/or body odour myself...and I can tell you there are plenty of folks (newbies and Golds alike) who seem to suffer from those afflictions.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Without wishing to sound a snob
I think you're highlighting the fact that in certain situations you may end up with the 'riffraff' sat next to you. OP, I don't think you achieved the goal you set for yourself in your opening six words.
DYKWIA, PaulN, Kgmm77 and 7 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Magic01273
I'm more sensitive to seat neighbours with halitosis and/or body odour myself...and I can tell you there are plenty of folks (newbies and Golds alike) who seem to suffer from those afflictions.
And last week I was sitting in front of two Golds who spent the entire journey, from boarding to disembarkation, talking about aircraft types and TP runs they have done/will be doing/are hoping to do in mind-numbing detail. I'd have welcomed halitosis, body odour or someone getting up to go to the loo every 10 minutes.
T8191, 'andad, Magic01273 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Misco60; May 5, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old May 5, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I'm a Gold and have been known to use the toilet while seated in CE on occasion on 2 hour flights. Wasn't aware this labels me as some sort of weirdo/riffraff passenger that the OP would not want sitting near them. In fact to certain destinations (I'm looking at you MUC) it's not a bad idea to have done just that if a flight from for example Russia has arrived before you and the automatic passport gates aren't working as usual. You could be standing waiting to get through for 40 minutes even with an EU passport before you have access to a toilet.
WickedStepMother likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.