Club World Lounge Access with Children

Old May 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Howard Long
If the OP was really desperate for lounge access, they could buy a couple of throw away tickets for the nippers on a CE flight. I suspect one of the parents would need to buy a ticket on the same flight, but that could be in Y.
Which would cause problems with ready to fly when they have gained access to airside using one ticket but will fly using another which will have no record of them passing security and meeting conformance.
GadgetGal likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by bigwalrus
May as well go the whole hog and leave the kids at home!
Quite.

rb211.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
Sorry to hijack the thread, but have similar(ish) situation and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I am a Gold, travelling in CE to IST. Managed to snag Avios CE for Wife and Two Kids who are all bronze. All on the same booking.

I gather we will be able to use First Check-in at LHR, due to me being Gold, but obviously we only qualify for Club Lounge as a family. How do they police the fact that we are supposed to pass straight through the FC lounge and walk over to Club Lounge after First security?
Old May 9, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by The_Gate
Sorry to hijack the thread, but have similar(ish) situation and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I am a Gold, travelling in CE to IST. Managed to snag Avios CE for Wife and Two Kids who are all bronze. All on the same booking.

I gather we will be able to use First Check-in at LHR, due to me being Gold, but obviously we only qualify for Club Lounge as a family. How do they police the fact that we are supposed to pass straight through the FC lounge and walk over to Club Lounge after First security?
Unfortunately I don't think you all can use the F Wing together for exactly that reason. You would need to use the standard Fast track security.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by The_Gate

You can use the first check in desks, but will be sent through Fast Track security as you don't have eligibility for First Lounge for the number of guests you have.

You won't be allowed through the First Wing into the Flounge, there's a secondary check to enforce this just before the Boarding Pass check.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:17 am

Thanks all, much appreciated. I thought that might be the case. It's a shame, because it's an early flight, so will only be availing ourselves of the bacon rolls anyway, but I really do prefer First security.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Well, in the spirit of this thread, perhaps you should pick your favourite child and guest them through the First Wing

You can then gorge yourself on the full brekkie buffet before decamping to the Club Lounge to join Mrs The_Gate and unfortunate child, who have gone via Fast Track!

The above suggestion may not be entirely serious
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:24 am

In the spirit of the thread, I can use it as a lesson to teach the kids how to navigate airports. Leave them at the first check-in and tell them to ask the nice people how to get through Fast Track and to the gate. If they don't make it, then it's a lesson well learned. They are 9 and 11, should be fine. I can then drink as many champagnes as possible while I pretend to worry about them.
wrp96, msm2000uk, Muttley and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I knew from the title that this thread would be interesting!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by frandrake
I never had issues with children flying close to me in my J biz trips.

TBH, and I know I am going to make a controversial comment here in the age of political correctness, in my experience children in J/F are much more well behaved than many in Y.
Possibly on average but I am not wholly convinced, and I once flew back in F from MEX where 4 of the seats had kids in and they weren't super well behaved.

Tbf they weren't terrible either, just way too noisy and restless for a long F flight.

In the end I actually got up and had a word with the dad to ask if he could calm them down a bit and he was actually pretty nice about it and did. On a shorter flight I think I'd have grinned and bore it, but all the way back from Mexico after a really knackering trip and I'd have been driven nuts I think.

As it was I pretty much fell asleep face down in my dessert I was so tired, so that whole F experience was wasted on me anyway that time.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

at the risk of hurting your heroic feelings, no, times have not changed. With increased mobility and divorce rates and flying becoming cheaper, there are a lot more kids flying solo these days than in your or my time, though not on ba which refuses them.

they are much less looked after than you would have been 37 years ago because airlines have cut a lot on personnel, and many of them travel on their own not just every summer holiday but sometimes every fortnight or every week.

What is proposes here is cery different however, it is not kids travelling on their own but kids travelling with their parents, and the ensuing question of whether in that case, the parents should look after them or make them someone elses problem. In other words, if on the flights you mention your parents had been travelling along - same days, same flights - do you think that they would have expected some strangers to keep an eye on you or would they have done so themselves?
Don't worry my feelings weren't very heroic. It wasn't a choice it was just an outcome for me.

But what you have said is probably very true. I personally enjoy travelling with my children - not sure I would want to sit separately from them. But my kids might feel differently - I am sure some enjoy some me time away from the parents.

I don't think one can judge - everyones family has a different dynamic and everyones child is different. Some are happy to sit alone and do their own thing and are quite mature, others are a pain the backside and need constant watching. The OP should do what they think is appropriate for them and their family and of course take into account their possible impact on others - i.e. be considerate.

As we always say YMMV.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
I agree with others, Plane Food would be my recommendation, and frankly youre more likely to see me in there, I prefer it to all the lounges in T5 including the CCR.
Yes, funny how the novelty wears off. I tend to drop my carry-on at the left luggage in GF, possibly have a quick glass of wine if there is something that takes my fancy, and then go to either Plane Food or Wagamama as the mood takes me for food. With family I would choose Plane Food as it has a calm ambience (and a children's menu, incidentally).

The calculus is different in T3 however.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
@bakker110 If you cant all get into the lounge, you can at least book your complimentary spa treatments a different times so you can get some of the ground experience.

The suggestion of going straight to B gates is a good idea as its generally quieter and more feasible if you do decide to take turns visiting the lounge while the other adult stays with the children
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by djbenedict
Yes, funny how the novelty wears off. I tend to drop my carry-on at the left luggage in GF, possibly have a quick glass of wine if there is something that takes my fancy, and then go to either Plane Food or Wagamama as the mood takes me for food. With family I would choose Plane Food as it has a calm ambience (and a children's menu, incidentally).

The calculus is different in T3 however.
Yes, that is pretty much my modus operandi too nowadays. T3 doesnt have quite as good retail F&B outlets as T5 IMHO, so Cathay F or prop up the bars for cocktails either in Cathay J or Qantas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.