Club World Lounge Access with Children

Reply

Old May 7, 19, 3:05 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: Global Mercenary
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
I think we're talking about messaging to the children (about not getting nice stuff until you've earned it) rather than what the other passengers/cabin crew think.
If you were discussing parents sending their kids in F and J on trips by themselves without any supervision, you might...almost...maybe have a point.

So is it a far more wholesome message to tell your kids "Ok kids, I have some extra $, but only enough for mommy and daddy to go sit in a much nicer part of the plane away from you guys. I'd rather spend $ and split the family up than bother sitting with you two for 12 hours and saving $."

That's a bit odd for a kid to process isn't it?
alex67500 and DeepUnderground like this.
vj_rama is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 3:07 pm
  #47  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 81,410
There's also the viewpoint that a family vacation is something that the family does together, partly for the bonding experience......versus parents wanting/needing to take a vacation from their own kids.
alex67500 and sentosa like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 3:14 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Miles and Smiles Elite / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire / SPG Gold
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by Crofton138 View Post
What's the appeal of trying to gain access to the BA lounge for the OP? The group are unlikely to find comfy seats for 4 people together, the food is mediocre and half the group can't drink.

I definitely would not be paying for access to the Aspire lounge as it's dreadful. A table at Plane Food is the way to go here, as mentioned up thread.
i tend to agree with this assessment of the club world lounge you would have access too. It tends to be packed, shabby and unpleasant during the holidays.

the rules on access are clear and officially it will be no. However when you get to the airport ask! Last year my wife and I were in F with the kids in J. Access to the CCR for all of us was planned and days before my wife breaks an a leg! She had to delay travel but CCR access was not going to happen due to the rules. At check in my wifeís details were still active in the system and I explained the situation. We were all allowed First class security and escorted to the CCR. At the gate they got upgraded to F! In the last 12 years I haven't had single op up but my kids did.!

so plan to explore T5, the over priced shops and expensive duty free. My local Tesco is often cheaper for booze! But ask and they might just be flexible!
binman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 3:28 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: LHR GVA HKG TLV PVG JFK
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,277
"but at only 13 and 11 the kids are not old enough or responsible enough to leave them to make their own way to the gate."

Each to their own but T5 is one of the easier and safer places to start their "airport training". I am believer of unaccompanied flying from 12. BA raised it to 14 last year. Obviously child specific, well prepared, mobile phone in hand, and "picker upper" at destination before child's airplane takes off.

In fact age 8-10, guide me to the gate. 10-11 meet me at the gate. UM flying from 8 also recommended (start with shorter routes). Then 12+ I'll meet you at the starbucks outside arrivals (with age adjustments as needed).

Specifically in your case. Tour t5a together for familiarity, get them something to eat, sit them down somewhere not far from the escalators. Call them every 30 min from the lounge.

Well done on flying them in Y. Builds character. You would never want them in the future to not enjoy the greatness of world travel because they can't travel premium and when they do travel premium they will enjoy it that much more.
Prospero likes this.
seaskybound is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 5:27 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Posts: 93
Hummm times have changed havenít they?

From the age of 5 I was chucked on a plane by myself (being supervised by a flight attendant) to flying long haul from LHR to HKG. Back then it was something like a 23hr flight with a stop in Bahrain.

Did it every summer holiday and stayed happily with my grandparents. My parents couldnít afford to come with me but they wanted to ensure I still was connected to my roots and family.

I am sure it played some part in my development 37 years ago.
wrp96 and mikeyfly like this.
thatflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 5:34 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
Specifically in your case. Tour t5a together for familiarity, get them something to eat, sit them down somewhere not far from the escalators. Call them every 30 min from the lounge.
I disagree. This is nothing to do with "building character" or "airport training"; what you're effectively telling your children is, "We're taking you on holiday but we've chosen to sit apart from you, in better seats than you, for the duration of the long flight and we'd also rather sit in the lounge, drinking free booze, than spend time with you in the airport".

As others have already suggested, just spend time as a family having a nice meal in Plane Food or Giraffe or Wagamamas before boarding your flight.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Misco60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 5:49 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Plymouth, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 813
My concern would be what might happen if an evacuation was necessary? Your kids would have to fend totally for themselves without any help from anyone. You and them are quite likely to be separated for some time after evacuation and if on water then you would likely be separated until after recovery. They are your kids and you will do as you see fit and quite rightly. But if they were mine there is no way in a million years I would fly separated from my kids especially in a completely different cabin. I am sure the experience wouldn't do them any harm and may be fun for them... providing there is no evac required. If an evac is required you may never see them again! Now that is a scary thought for most parents!

As for the lounge... forget the BA lounge... enjoy the many eating places in the terminal together as a family. Do a bit of shopping and spend the cost of the lounge on some treats for the kids. No brainer for me
snaxmuppet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 6:03 am
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,283
Originally Posted by thatflyer View Post
Hummm times have changed havenít they?

From the age of 5 I was chucked on a plane by myself (being supervised by a flight attendant) to flying long haul from LHR to HKG. Back then it was something like a 23hr flight with a stop in Bahrain.

Did it every summer holiday and stayed happily with my grandparents. My parents couldnít afford to come with me but they wanted to ensure I still was connected to my roots and family.

I am sure it played some part in my development 37 years ago.
at the risk of hurting your heroic feelings, no, times have not changed. With increased mobility and divorce rates and flying becoming cheaper, there are a lot more kids flying solo these days than in your or my time, though not on ba which refuses them.

they are much less looked after than you would have been 37 years ago because airlines have cut a lot on personnel, and many of them travel on their own not just every summer holiday but sometimes every fortnight or every week.

What is proposes here is cery different however, it is not kids travelling on their own but kids travelling with their parents, and the ensuing question of whether in that case, the parents should look after them or make them someone elseís problem. In other words, if on the flights you mention your parents had been travelling along - same days, same flights - do you think that they would have expected some strangers to keep an eye on you or would they have done so themselves?
konagirl2 likes this.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 6:25 am
  #54  
gms
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South East, UK
Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,099
Originally Posted by bakker110 View Post
Obviously we would like to take advantage of the lounge facilities at London Heathrow and this is part of the experience we have both been looking forward to, but at only 13 and 11 the kids are not old enough or responsible enough to leave them to make their own way to the gate.

When I booked, the lady I spoke with on the phone told me I would be able to book them a lounge pass but on further investigation it seems BA don't sell access to their lounges.
Did you book direct with BA? I know that BA requires kids to be at least 14 to travel unaccompanied. Some airlines define children to be unaccompanied if they are in a different cabin from the adults. I don't know what BA's policy is here. I assume that the kids will be on a separate PNR to the adults, so does BA know that you are travelling with them? Hopefully, someone will know what BA's official rules are about minors travelling in separate cabins.

As others have mentioned it is primarily down to a safety issue - if you don't think your kids can find their way to the gate on their own they might not cope too well in an emergency (hence some airlines' strict policies, since in an emergency they don't want parents delaying an evacuation by trying to reach their kids in another cabin).
gms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:01 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
I think we're talking about messaging to the children (about not getting nice stuff until you've earned it) rather than what the other passengers/cabin crew think.

Although I did enjoy how frandrake caveats it with "especially if on hols" - I guess if you're sending your children to a business meeting, you should at least fuel them with champagne on the way...
lol what I meant was that if you have to say, relocate the family from LHR to HKG because of your work commitment or are flying home during a mission abroad it could make sense to ease the pain off the family by flying the kids in J or F.

I, personally, would not fly my family on holiday in J or F as I do not want my children to grow in a situation where flying premium and accessing lounges is the norm. It was not the norm for me when I grew up and I enjoyed working hard and earning what I have now. I wish them to follow a similar path.

That said, I never judge when I see children in J or F (again, it could be for a variety of reasons).

Same applies to a first car or anything else. My parenting style is to provide guidance and a decent minimum, not to grant my kids the same level of pampering I can afford for myself if that makes sense.
frandrake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:06 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
I never judge when I see children in J or F...
But - and let's be absolutely honest here - your heart does sink just a little, doesn't it?
Misco60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:32 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by gms View Post
Hopefully, someone will know what BA's official rules are about minors travelling in separate cabins.
They are listed here, at the bottom of the page:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents

In short, BA appear happy for children from 5 upwards to travel in a separate cabin. Under 5s must be accompanied by a 16+ individual.
BertieBadger is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:39 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by gms View Post
I assume that the kids will be on a separate PNR to the adults
This is one of the more interesting questions, I think, and I also assume the same as it's impossible to book into different cabins, isn't it?
The evacuation scenario mentioned a few times already is extremely unlikely but what about travel disruption? A cancelled flight, for example.
Wouldn't the airline be looking at two separate travelling parties and perhaps rebook them independently?
MNMAA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:39 am
  #59  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,428
Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
lol what I meant was that if you have to say, relocate the family from LHR to HKG because of your work commitment or are flying home during a mission abroad it could make sense to ease the pain off the family by flying the kids in J or F.

I, personally, would not fly my family on holiday in J or F as I do not want my children to grow in a situation where flying premium and accessing lounges is the norm. It was not the norm for me when I grew up and I enjoyed working hard and earning what I have now. I wish them to follow a similar path.

That said, I never judge when I see children in J or F (again, it could be for a variety of reasons).

Same applies to a first car or anything else. My parenting style is to provide guidance and a decent minimum, not to grant my kids the same level of pampering I can afford for myself if that makes sense.
As you rightly say, it is parenting style, and everyone is entitled to follow their own.

I differ slightly to you, in that I want my children to benefit from what I earn, and would rather treat them as equals. Just because I did not have something as a child, does not mean they should not.

So, when we travel, we sit in the same cabin of travel. Why? Because I was brought up to embrace the importance of togetherness and family.

By the same token, when we book a hotel, I make sure we all stay in the same hotel. If I book a Hilton, I'd rather not send my kids round the corner to a Premier Inn. However, that of course, is simply parenting style.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 7:39 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Posts: 1,278
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some airlines won't permit a 13 year old to serve as the "adult" for younger kids. YMMV.

Even if the airline permits this, is it a good idea? What if there's an emergency? What if there's a predator?
What - like snakes on a plane? Or a velociraptor? Just curious

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk, bakker110

Itís very likely that your New York bound flight will board from T5B, which as it is less frenetic and of a more human scale than T5A, youíll probably find the options more manageable there.

The lounge is perched above the main departure area so itís possible to arrange a spot where your children can amuse themselves (plenty of views of the apron and taxiway theatre) allowing you to keep a watchful eye on them from the lounge above.
If both kids are aviation geeks (and I am certainly raising mine that way) then probably agreed. If they're into shopping and the hustle and bustle of the airport then, meh, maybe not so much. T5B is pretty sparse.

Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
If you were discussing parents sending their kids in F and J on trips by themselves without any supervision, you might...almost...maybe have a point.

So is it a far more wholesome message to tell your kids "Ok kids, I have some extra $, but only enough for mommy and daddy to go sit in a much nicer part of the plane away from you guys. I'd rather spend $ and split the family up than bother sitting with you two for 12 hours and saving $."

That's a bit odd for a kid to process isn't it?
This is of course a valid viewpoint

Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
..............Well done on flying them in Y. Builds character. You would never want them in the future to not enjoy the greatness of world travel because they can't travel premium and when they do travel premium they will enjoy it that much more.
However so is this

Originally Posted by thatflyer View Post
Hummm times have changed havenít they?

From the age of 5 I was chucked on a plane by myself (being supervised by a flight attendant) to flying long haul from LHR to HKG. Back then it was something like a 23hr flight with a stop in Bahrain.

Did it every summer holiday and stayed happily with my grandparents. My parents couldnít afford to come with me but they wanted to ensure I still was connected to my roots and family.

I am sure it played some part in my development 37 years ago.
Same for me. Parents split when I was ard 4 and dad moved to LA for work and my little brother and I were flying unaccompanied TATL from some ridiculously young age. And loved it.

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I disagree. This is nothing to do with "building character" or "airport training"; what you're effectively telling your children is, "We're taking you on holiday but we've chosen to sit apart from you, in better seats than you, for the duration of the long flight and we'd also rather sit in the lounge, drinking free booze, than spend time with you in the airport".
Possibly - although depends if the kids actually WANT to sit quietly in a lounge.

I don't think it's an easy subject to generalise about. Personally I doubt when my kids are that age that that's the route I'd go down. I think more likely I figure out what the best cabin I can get us ALL into is.

Or, alternative approach suggestion here - do mum and 1 kids out in J, with dad and other kid down the back, and then swap around on the return leg.

Just throwing that out there...
Pascoe is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread