Not flying the final leg?

Old May 6, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Not flying the final leg?

So I am thinking of a trip to New York with my wife in late Aug / early Sept. The prices from Inverness via Lhr are nearly £2k cheaper than Heathrow direct. Even with a flight to Inv and overnight itís still a significant saving of over £1500.
So the question is. Can I not do the final leg on my return to LHR back to Inverness or is this an offence that will get me hung drawn and quartered.? It would be a waste to travel back up to Inv then back again as I live just over an hour from the airport.
Would my luggage automatically by sent to Inverness so forcing me to go or could I collect it at T5 and just not take the final flight?
Old May 6, 19, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you are not a serial offender there should be no impact if you do not take the LHR-INV flight.

I understand the following process is done ( others may confirm or provide more details)

It is highly likely that your bags will be tagged to INV at check in at NYC ( short checking is probably unlikely)

At Heathrow, if you want to not fly the INV leg then you will need to contact a BA agent at baggage reclaim to get your bags returned to LHR bag reclaim ( this reportedly can take a while to accomplish so you could be in the baggage reclaim for some time)

Regards
TBS
Old May 6, 19, 10:09 am

Have you checked prices for going out from Inverness and back to London? Sometimes that's not much different from returning to INV and it's a lot cleaner.
IntVic, orbitmic, woglet86 and 1 others like this.
Old May 6, 19, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Have you checked prices for going out from Inverness and back to London? Sometimes that's not much different from returning to INV and it's a lot cleaner.
This.

I wish more people at least checked the prices of doing this option.

The savings will likely not be as great as a 'full' start / end in INV but still not as costly as the direct ex LHR flight so it's a balance. Want the full savings (and TPs) then you put up with the full inconvenience.

Another option is to book the final LHR-INV and the return for the day or two after you land so you get your luggage back at LHR.
IntVic and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 6, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

At Heathrow, if you want to not fly the INV leg then you will need to contact a BA agent at baggage reclaim to get your bags returned to LHR bag reclaim ( this reportedly can take a while to accomplish so you could be in the baggage reclaim for some time)

Regards
TBS
Can anyone tell me how long it might take to achieve getting my bag back in this situation? I've got an ex-INV (returning there because ending the trip in London was much more to pay in this instance). I am happy to go to INV but hoping to do a B2B if I can get my bag to stash in the left luggage at T5.
Old May 6, 19, 11:24 am

Iíve found that most of the attractive ex INV fares recently have prohibited the usual <24 hour connection and insist on <12 hours which prevents an overnight stop and therefore baggage retrieval at LHR & a B2B at INV. It also prevents getting the day flights back from JFK/BOS which are my preferred options.

Reports suggest a wait of up to 3-4 hours for bags. Understandably you are their lowest priority. Have you considered HBO for return leg? You should be fine with 2 bags each at the larger carry on dimensions in CW/F which should suffice for a city break. Obviously you have to be mindful of liquid limits.
Old May 6, 19, 12:01 pm

Unfortunately HBO not an option
I'm hoping next time AA re-arrange their schedules I will be able to use that to my advantage so it might not become an issue. I can also try asking nicely at check-in but I suspect that won't get me very far.
I currently have approx 7 hours connection time. Though I've just reminded myself that I arrive at T3 on AA - presumably that won't help with trying to retrieve my checked bag??
Old May 6, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've done it a few times but always HBO. They are most unwilling to short check baggage. I would rather just go to INV rather than try and retrieve my luggage at LHR. Mind you it's not the first time I've flown out with luggage then dumped my suitcases and come home HBO
Old May 6, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
You might check prices on some of the continental origins too like AMS. If you can book a return flight that departs from LGW or LCY then the airport change forces your bags to be returned at LHR and the problem is solved.
Old May 6, 19, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
[QUOTE=Iamnotlost;31072995]
I can also try asking nicely at check-in but I suspect that won't get me very far.
/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it won't.

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost View Post
Though I've just reminded myself that I arrive at T3 on AA - presumably that won't help with trying to retrieve my checked bag??

Nope, it just means that once you eventually manage retrieving the bag you'll have to schlep it landside to T5.

And to be honest, once you have retrieved the bag anyway, there is little point in going to INV for a back to back. If you plan on pushing to get it back, you might as well just take the bag and leave.

Really though, those things are best achieved HBO. Have you considered sending your bag separately as freight? It's often not very expensive, may well fly on the same plane as you and you can then get off in London much more easily having conceivably paid less than the INV-LHR flight would cost you.
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost View Post
Unfortunately HBO not an option
I currently have approx 7 hours connection time. Though I've just reminded myself that I arrive at T3 on AA - presumably that won't help with trying to retrieve my checked bag??
In which case I feel obliged to suggest either going HBO again (!) or going to INV. The problem with a T3 to T5 baggage is that it is more likely to go to the sub stations rather than the main warehouse. Seven hours would make it more likely to go to the main warehouse but if the AA flight is delayed then you can see what would happen. There is no danger of it being loaded on your booked service, there is a small danger of the bag going to the next INV service, and a fairly good chance of being delayed an hour or two under best case scenarios. That is the time it may take for bags to get returned at the main T5 reclaim. There are reports of it only taking 40 minutes or so.

There was a time when INV-LHR-USA-LHR was the same as an INV endpoint but many of the fares I've looked at are now through priced. But there is a possibility that after flying the the outbound you could call up and drop the INV sector for just the change fee. But as things stand a combination of T3, dropping INV and checked luggage means that really something has to give.

These Third Party Itineraries are not for everyone, if you circumstances militate against it then you need to think of alternatives.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Originally Posted by mda03jb View Post
Iíve found that most of the attractive ex INV fares recently have prohibited the usual <24 hour connection and insist on <12 hours which prevents an overnight stop and therefore baggage retrieval at LHR & a B2B at INV. It also prevents getting the day flights back from JFK/BOS which are my preferred options.
I am sorry but this is nonsense when talking about the return portion. As there is no APD concern on return portion, you have standard 24 hours after scheduled arrival of longhaul flight to catch your connection to INV.

For outbound, to avoid the hefty APD charge, Rules are as follows:
If flight A(from INV) is scheduled to arrive before 17.00, then, flight B(your longhaul) is treated as connected if the booked time of departure falls within six hours of the scheduled time of arrival of flight A. (NOTE NOT 24 hours, special rules for domestic to international connections - only 6 hours allowed in this case)
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between 17.00 and midnight, Flight B is treated as connected if the departure is at or before 10.00 on the following day.
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between midnight and 04.00, flight B is treated as connected if the booked time of departure is at or before 10.00 on the same day.
Wbeest and W213Sal like this.
Old May 6, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
It appear that HBO is the rock solid option. A carry on suitcase and laptop case within the maximum permissible is enough for a 4 or 5 night stay, whilst wearing jacket trousers etc as travel clothes in case a posh restaurant or broadway show is on the cards.
I am thinking 1st btw so hopefully this will be acceptable.
Old May 6, 19, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Thighsofsteel View Post
It appear that HBO is the rock solid option. A carry on suitcase and laptop case within the maximum permissible is enough for a 4 or 5 night stay, whilst wearing jacket trousers etc as travel clothes in case a posh restaurant or broadway show is on the cards.
I am thinking 1st btw so hopefully this will be acceptable.
5 days with just a cabin case is easy, that is definitely the way to go.
Old May 6, 19, 2:06 pm

Thanks orbitmic and CWS. I did book this with my eyes open so am quite prepared to go to INV with my bag. I've read a few times about asking for one's bag back at LHR in this sort of scenario and wondered how long it took. CWS has confirmed my suspicions about the T3-T5 connection being a complication too far. I shall investigate the baggage transport options.

Sadly, no matter how many times it is suggested - HBO is not an option

Search this Thread
Search Engine: