Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not flying the final leg?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I think its pretty poor show to drop a final leg with checked luggage, and expecting to get it fished out for you at Heathrow.

To be clear, its not about some pious perspective of flying what you've booked, but that its the sort of behaviour that will certainly get noticed as it adds cost and inconvenience for BA.

I honestly don't think they give a hoot about dropping last legs on HBO, but what we don't want if for some sort of draconian response spoiling it for everyone!
So by all means drop the last leg, but make sure you are HBO.
pjh981 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I am sorry but this is nonsense when talking about the return portion. As there is no APD concern on return portion, you have standard 24 hours after scheduled arrival of longhaul flight to catch your connection to INV.

For outbound, to avoid the hefty APD charge, Rules are as follows:
If flight A(from INV) is scheduled to arrive before 17.00, then, flight B(your longhaul) is treated as connected if the booked time of departure falls within six hours of the scheduled time of arrival of flight A. (NOTE NOT 24 hours, special rules for domestic to international connections - only 6 hours allowed in this case)
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between 17.00 and midnight, Flight B is treated as connected if the departure is at or before 10.00 on the following day.
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between midnight and 04.00, flight B is treated as connected if the booked time of departure is at or before 10.00 on the same day.
That's good information, had no idea of this, thank you.

I think mda03jb was referring to BA pricing policies rather than ADP rules, in regard to the INV returns, but maybe I misunderstood.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
OP hasn't mentioned the timing of the flight from NYC arriving into LHR. A 7am arrival into T5 finds the next flight up to INV at 16:30 or so, I'd be wanting my luggage pronto at T5, to be fair, and up to arrivals for a shower and to change into fresh clothes!
Old May 6, 2019, 6:47 pm

If the OP does not have an overriding reason to return with AA, an alternative not discussed so far is to return from JFK on BA2272 to Gatwick, leaving at 22:00 and arriving at LGW at 10:00 the next morning. The flight to INV is still from LHR, and passengers are responsible for getting themselves, and their bags, from LGW to LHR.

With bags in hand, it could be easy to go straight home, with no complication over retrieving them from the LHR transfer system.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deleted

Last edited by KARFA; May 7, 2019 at 1:31 am
Old May 7, 2019, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
As the OP I think I have decided to go HBO as it’s a short stay. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
stephenjc and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I am sorry but this is nonsense when talking about the return portion. As there is no APD concern on return portion, you have standard 24 hours after scheduled arrival of longhaul flight to catch your connection to INV.

For outbound, to avoid the hefty APD charge, Rules are as follows:
If flight A(from INV) is scheduled to arrive before 17.00, then, flight B(your longhaul) is treated as connected if the booked time of departure falls within six hours of the scheduled time of arrival of flight A. (NOTE NOT 24 hours, special rules for domestic to international connections - only 6 hours allowed in this case)
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between 17.00 and midnight, Flight B is treated as connected if the departure is at or before 10.00 on the following day.
If flight A is scheduled to arrive between midnight and 04.00, flight B is treated as connected if the booked time of departure is at or before 10.00 on the same day.
wow I never knew that and wonder if it explains the hefty charges on one of my recent wt+ to cw upgrade...though not much I can do about it now.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Thanks orbitmic and CWS. I did book this with my eyes open so am quite prepared to go to INV with my bag.

Surely the best option. Inverness figures in the itinerary because it saves significant cash: so swallow the inconvenience of a second visit north of the border as the cost of that option.

And celebrate the extra handful of avios and TPs .
Old May 7, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This.

I wish more people at least checked the prices of doing this option.

The savings will likely not be as great as a 'full' start / end in INV but still not as costly as the direct ex LHR flight so it's a balance. Want the full savings (and TPs) then you put up with the full inconvenience.

Another option is to book the final LHR-INV and the return for the day or two after you land so you get your luggage back at LHR.
If the OP has not already booked their ticket, it is well worth a look at this option. In checking fares, the difference was £91 per passenger returning to LHR on the dates I choose. I have done a few ex-INV but always return to LHR as I just want to get home after my trip. Another option that might be worth exploring is starting the journey in DUB.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by orbitmic

wow I never knew that and wonder if it explains the hefty charges on one of my recent wt+ to cw upgrade...though not much I can do about it now.
Potentially, the outlined rules only apply to Domestic to International connections.
For INTL-INTL standard 24 hour rule applies!
Old May 7, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Potentially, the outlined rules only apply to Domestic to International connections.
For INTL-INTL standard 24 hour rule applies!
that was a flight from inv but I’ve just checked and not seeing the difference, ie flying from inv connecting to the 10.30 flight to lax (1h55 transit) or the 15.30 (6h50 transit) seems to price similarly for both full price and taxes/surcharges alone. no one at ba gave me that explanation in any case so maybe there are exceptions?

Last edited by orbitmic; May 7, 2019 at 3:03 am
Old May 7, 2019, 3:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IntVic
If the OP has not already booked their ticket, it is well worth a look at this option. In checking fares, the difference was £91 per passenger returning to LHR on the dates I choose. I have done a few ex-INV but always return to LHR as I just want to get home after my trip. Another option that might be worth exploring is starting the journey in DUB.
if it was a DIF fare the UuA cash cost can be quite high as the I think the carrier surcharge is capped. I had to pay ~£200 for a UuA on an exINV once.

you can check what and why there is a difference by just pricing the WTP and CW fares on ba.com and comparing the taxes/fees/charges for both.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
if it was a DIF fare the UuA cash cost can be quite high as the I think the carrier surcharge is capped. I had to pay ~£200 for a UuA on an exINV once.

you can check what and why there is a difference by just pricing the WTP and CW fares on ba.com and comparing the taxes/fees/charges for both.
yes i think that’s exactly what it was in my case. 👍🏻
Old May 7, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Can't the OP just ship the luggage directly to his/her home via FedEx?
Old May 7, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve just booked an ex-EU (for the record, I plan to fly all sectors!) and the e-ticket receipt came with the following warning. Is this a new thing or have I just missed it before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.