Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

Old May 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Excuse me? I hope your job doesn’t involve handling any personal data, as you clearly have no idea about the GDPR.
You're going to have to elaborate, cause at that current direction you're heading airline frequent flyer programs must be a titanic class action lawsuit just waiting to happen, considering they know literally personal identifiable information about you.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MT_Switch
You're going to have to elaborate, cause at that current direction you're heading airline frequent flyer programs must be a titanic class action lawsuit just waiting to happen, considering they know literally personal identifiable information about you.
I didn't say there was a violation of the GDPR. But what Paren said was utter claptrap. If you need elaboration as to what the GDPR covers and what personal data is, I'd suggest starting here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Direction to the specific part of the Act that covers this case would be rather more helpful though. @:-)
origin likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Direction to the specific part of the Act that covers this case would be rather more helpful though. @:-)
I'm not sure it would. For those without knowledge of the GDPR, it is better to start with the ICO guide, or another respectable guide. The section on 'what is personal data' is one of the main ones pertinent to Paren's post. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...personal-data/

I won't be discussing further as I'm frankly bored to hell with the GDPR, but I do feel it is worth calling out when posters make rather strongly worded assertions about the topic without apparently having read much into it.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; May 6, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old May 6, 2019, 11:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Quite honestly, I couldn't care less. I just wish that the stupid website actually worked properly.
catandmouse, origin, HMPS and 2 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold BAEC Avios Marriott Gold
If it bothers you, surely the easy solution is to search before you login.
origin likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
This is a weird thread. I can't figure out how an agent at British Airways knowing what British Airways flights you search for on the British Airways website is surprising or upsetting? Why anyone would expect to have to 'authorise retention' for information related to the very product the company provides, i.e. travel?

You are searching for travel on a company that provides travel but you don't like the company knowing where you might like to travel
origin, Cap'n Benj and TimDP like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The only issue I can see is if the pricing algorithm is affected by previous searches

Is it always cheaper the first time you get quoted ?
HMPS likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Just delete the searches against your account, don't log in until you're ready to buy and make sure you use private browsing when searching for flights so you can't be tracked.

Oh, and buy a tin foil hat.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:01 pm

I didn't say there was a violation of the GDPR. But what Paren said was utter claptrap. If you need elaboration as to what the GDPR covers and what personal data is, I'd suggest starting here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/

God I LOATHE Gdpr and it's cult followers....
tynmar and Gammur like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
This is a weird thread. I can't figure out how an agent at British Airways knowing what British Airways flights you search for on the British Airways website is surprising or upsetting? Why anyone would expect to have to 'authorise retention' for information related to the very product the company provides, i.e. travel?

You are searching for travel on a company that provides travel but you don't like the company knowing where you might like to travel

THANK YOU!! GDPR has made many people lose all reason and spout all sorts of stuff..
Gammur and TimDP like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I dont understand why you dont just press the button Don't show my recent searches at the bottom of the search history in Exec Club home and it will disable it til you turn it back on
scubaccr likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Effectively when the BA agents access your account, they log into your account just as you would do using an “on behalf of” portal. This is common with a lot of companies , banks, insurance etc so that when you phone up with a query or problem the agents can try and replicate what you can see.

I had this when trying to chose a seat on a flight and the agent said I’ll just log into your account to have a look and see why thst isn’t coming up,for you... then selected the seat that I couldn’t but should have been able to and sent an investigation ticket off to their IT team.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Until the day comes a BA call agent tells me she knows I've been searching the My Vintage Barbies forum in between some EZE-LHR searches I shall remain unconcerned.
Cris L and origin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.