Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my FLIGHT search history

I called to enquire about an Avios Redemption that I cannot find availability on, and CX want over 700 quid for a 2 hour flight and the agent mentioned that she could see that I have been searching for this.

So I asked her her if she could see my online searches, and she said 'Yes'

I'm a bit surprised by this. Firstly I would have thought that BA's It would be incapable of this.

Secondly I would be surprised if this wasn't somehow a GDPR violation somehow?

Last edited by Cris L; May 6, 2019 at 3:13 am
Old May 6, 2019, 2:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When you sign in to ba.com don’t you also see the “My recent searches and shortlist” table? It’s probably not a surprise a ba agent can also see it.

whats the gdpr violation specifically?
Old May 6, 2019, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well BA could probably work out your inside leg measurement given all the information it holds on you. And you can ask BA to delete this information if you wish. But are you aware your recent searches also show up on My Executive Club? Along with your most frequent bookings?
HMPS, gilfiom, origin and 1 others like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

I am aware that these do show up in your recent search list.

Except for the fact that I have specifically not authorised this retention as is offered by either the app or website. I don't recall.

I know that I can't see the searches in the app.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I’m guessing after reading the thread title, a few people are breathing a sigh of relief that this only relates to flight searches....
Old May 6, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Cris L
I know that I can't see the searches in the app.
In the app when you go in to "book a flight" there is a tab for "my searches"
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Oops. I tried to amend the thread title which is supposedly possible... But doesn't actually work.!
Old May 6, 2019, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
In the app when you go in to "book a flight" there is a tab for "my searches"
Yes, but as this is specifically not authorised, I get a message telling me that this is not authorised and to go to Ba.com to change this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Cris L
Yes, but as this is specifically not authorised, I get a message telling me that this is not authorised and to go to Ba.com to change this.
you accepted the cookie and privacy policy when you first went on to ba,com or first used the app. i think there have been updates since and i think there was one specifically around gdpr which came in last year.

i know nobody reads them and just clicks accept, but they are there
Old May 6, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Why would you even care?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I had the same on a UUA open jaw booking I was making the other day. Call centre staff transferred me to another dept and the new agent answered and said "I believe you're looking for flights to XYZ on the dates of XYZ". I said the dates were wrong but asked how they got this and they said they looked at my search history.

And to the OP: No, GDPR has nothing to do with this. It's not personally identifiable information and you are discussing your BA search history with BA themselves.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
You need to be careful with your assertions re PII. It's quite possible a pattern of searches on certain topics, when correlated with other things can lead to the identification of a person. Whilst most people think PII is a name, phone number it can be much more and way more abstract (it could just be the way you search) and you can tell this just by what google and other search engines know about you. A veritable minefield for sure.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Frankly, I would be delighted if I could see my own flight search history reliably and consistently across online and app ….
Old May 6, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Paren
And to the OP: No, GDPR has nothing to do with this. It's not personally identifiable information and you are discussing your BA search history with BA themselves.
Excuse me? I hope your job doesn’t involve handling any personal data, as you clearly have no idea about the GDPR.
rockflyertalk and Orange.Man like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Weirdly, it's become my standard mode of operation to search for exactly the flights I want online while logged in, before phoning BA to book (if my plans are a smidgeon more complicated than I can achieve online).

I know they'll look at my search history and it gives a great starting point, instead of having to dictate all airports, dates and times from scratch.
origin and gilfiom like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.