Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

So the BA Call Centre Agent can see my search history

Reply

Old May 6, 19, 8:10 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post


Excuse me? I hope your job doesn’t involve handling any personal data, as you clearly have no idea about the GDPR.
You're going to have to elaborate, cause at that current direction you're heading airline frequent flyer programs must be a titanic class action lawsuit just waiting to happen, considering they know literally personal identifiable information about you.
MT_Switch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 8:27 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,416
Originally Posted by MT_Switch View Post
You're going to have to elaborate, cause at that current direction you're heading airline frequent flyer programs must be a titanic class action lawsuit just waiting to happen, considering they know literally personal identifiable information about you.
I didn't say there was a violation of the GDPR. But what Paren said was utter claptrap. If you need elaboration as to what the GDPR covers and what personal data is, I'd suggest starting here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/
rockflyertalk likes this.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 9:13 am
  #18  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Englandshire
Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Posts: 11,534
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Direction to the specific part of the Act that covers this case would be rather more helpful though.
origin likes this.
Oxon Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 9:56 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,416
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Direction to the specific part of the Act that covers this case would be rather more helpful though.
I'm not sure it would. For those without knowledge of the GDPR, it is better to start with the ICO guide, or another respectable guide. The section on 'what is personal data' is one of the main ones pertinent to Paren's post. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...personal-data/

I won't be discussing further as I'm frankly bored to hell with the GDPR, but I do feel it is worth calling out when posters make rather strongly worded assertions about the topic without apparently having read much into it.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 11:33 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,545
.......,.

Last edited by richardwft; May 6, 19 at 11:39 am
richardwft is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 11:42 am
  #21  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 14,837
Quite honestly, I couldn't care less. I just wish that the stupid website actually worked properly.
catandmouse, origin, HMPS and 2 others like this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 12:45 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: nr Stratford upon Avon, UK
Programs: HHonors Gold BAEC Avios Marriott Gold
Posts: 9
If it bothers you, surely the easy solution is to search before you login.
origin likes this.
mark2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 1:30 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Posts: 303
This is a weird thread. I can't figure out how an agent at British Airways knowing what British Airways flights you search for on the British Airways website is surprising or upsetting? Why anyone would expect to have to 'authorise retention' for information related to the very product the company provides, i.e. travel?

You are searching for travel on a company that provides travel but you don't like the company knowing where you might like to travel
origin, Cap'n Benj and TimDP like this.
noFODplease is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 1:43 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,301
The only issue I can see is if the pricing algorithm is affected by previous searches

Is it always cheaper the first time you get quoted ?
HMPS likes this.
allturnleft is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 2:11 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 272
Just delete the searches against your account, don't log in until you're ready to buy and make sure you use private browsing when searching for flights so you can't be tracked.

Oh, and buy a tin foil hat.
fluffymitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 4:01 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
I didn't say there was a violation of the GDPR. But what Paren said was utter claptrap. If you need elaboration as to what the GDPR covers and what personal data is, I'd suggest starting here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/

God I LOATHE Gdpr and it's cult followers....
tynmar and Gammur like this.
france77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 4:03 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by noFODplease View Post
This is a weird thread. I can't figure out how an agent at British Airways knowing what British Airways flights you search for on the British Airways website is surprising or upsetting? Why anyone would expect to have to 'authorise retention' for information related to the very product the company provides, i.e. travel?

You are searching for travel on a company that provides travel but you don't like the company knowing where you might like to travel

THANK YOU!! GDPR has made many people lose all reason and spout all sorts of stuff..
Gammur and TimDP like this.
france77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 4:10 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow, UK
Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Posts: 1,371
I dont understand why you dont just press the button Don't show my recent searches at the bottom of the search history in Exec Club home and it will disable it til you turn it back on
scubaccr likes this.
cgtechuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 5:25 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 1,926
Effectively when the BA agents access your account, they log into your account just as you would do using an “on behalf of” portal. This is common with a lot of companies , banks, insurance etc so that when you phone up with a query or problem the agents can try and replicate what you can see.

I had this when trying to chose a seat on a flight and the agent said I’ll just log into your account to have a look and see why thst isn’t coming up,for you... then selected the seat that I couldn’t but should have been able to and sent an investigation ticket off to their IT team.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 19, 7:58 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,495
Until the day comes a BA call agent tells me she knows I've been searching the My Vintage Barbies forum in between some EZE-LHR searches I shall remain unconcerned.
origin likes this.
HIDDY is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread