FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Booking infant a seat (not lap) on AA using Avios (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1968322-booking-infant-seat-not-lap-aa-using-avios.html)

johnep1 May 5, 2019 8:48 am

Booking infant a seat (not lap) on AA using Avios

I've booked a few infant tickets using Avios before but always as a lap infant. We have a longer flight coming up and I'm trying to book the little guy his own seat on AA using Avios. The similar FT threads I've read say I need to call to do this. I called and was told, by an agent who seemed knowledgeable, that AA does not allow Avios to make a seat booking for an infant, and my only option, if using Avios, is for the infant to travel as a lap infant. They do allow this on BA metal, but this is an AA rule. Is that correct, or is this a good time to call again?

Our backup is to book two Avios seats for the adults and use AA miles for the infant seat.

Thanks.

MSPeconomist May 5, 2019 8:51 am

Are you trying to get a special price or just get the kid his/her own seat? AFAIK AA doesn't offer a special price for kids.

johnep1 May 5, 2019 8:53 am

I would like to get the kid (<2) his own seat. Willing to pay full Avios price but BA tells me this isn't possible for Avios bookings on AA metal. There are 7 award seats, so availability also isn't a problem.

jimcleaver May 5, 2019 8:54 am

Not sure about the first part of your question but I learned recently that AA don't do infant bookings with AA miles, instead, they charge a straight 10% of the full cash fare (a whopping £450! in our case for a one way ticket BKK-LHR in J)

Geo772 May 5, 2019 8:54 am

The other issue is I'm fairly sure that AA would not sell you a ticket using AA miles for an Infant on their own whether or not they have their own seat.

johnep1 May 5, 2019 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jimcleaver (Post 31069252)
Not sure about the first part of your question but I learned recently that AA don't do infant bookings with AA miles, instead, they charge a straight 10% of the full cash fare (a whopping £450! in our case for a one way ticket BKK-LHR in J)

Was that as a lap infant? I'm trying to book a full seat award, but the traveler is under 2.

johnep1 May 5, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Geo772 (Post 31069254)
The other issue is I'm fairly sure that AA would not sell you a ticket using AA miles for an Infant on their own whether or not they have their own seat.

That's a good point. Hasn't thought about that.
​​​

jimcleaver May 5, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 31069264)
Was that as a lap infant? I'm trying to book a full seat award, but the traveler is under 2.

Yes, myself and the rest of the family were originally booked in J on Qatar using AA miles, we called to add our newborn to the booking, as a lap infant and were pretty shocked to find out the cost. Our previous child had travelled only on BA using Avios and that was always just 10% of the miles and taxes. A bit of a shock TBH.

MSPeconomist May 5, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Geo772 (Post 31069254)

The same would apply to kids over two, especially those who are too young for paid UM service.

Prospero May 5, 2019 9:32 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 31069264)

When booking an AA redemption for an infant, BA.com gives the following guidance. Are you able to book your little guy as a child?

johnep1 May 5, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 31069369)
When booking an AA redemption for an infant, BA.com gives the following guidance. Are you able to book your little guy as a child?

That's the issue. The little guy is part of our household account and BA has his passport info (they know his age). When I try to book him as a child (over 2) I get to the end and then the site tells me that based on his birthday they know he's under 2 and that I need to start over and book him as an infant.

Very odd how difficult it is to spend more points.

Prospero May 5, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 31069383)
That's the issue. The little guy is part of our household account and BA has his passport info (they know his age). When I try to book him as a child (over 2) I get to the end and then the site tells me that based on his birthday they know he's under 2 and that I need to start over and book him as an infant.

Very odd how difficult it is to spend more points.

Gotya. And the person you spoke to in the BAEC service centre cannot make an infant booking either. That is frustrating. Maybe it is worth making another call but this time asking for a child seat - they may be able to force the booking if they aren't inhibited by the passport data.

johnep1 May 5, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 31069455)
Gotya. And the person you spoke to in the BAEC service centre cannot make an infant booking either. That is frustrating. Maybe it is worth making another call but this time asking for a child seat - they may be able to force the booking if they aren't inhibited by the passport data.

Sounds like the best idea is to call again. I'll try the "I'd like to book three Avios seats" line (no mention of infant) and cross the fingers.

Thank you.

johnep1 May 5, 2019 11:11 am

To close the loop on this - called BA back and completely different. Three seats booked, including for an infant. All the full Avios cost, but we got what we wanted.

Thank you for the replies.

erik123 May 5, 2019 2:13 pm

You can book with a "wrong" birth date and change later.