Wiki Posts
Search

What is it with OSL-LHR on a Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
What is it with OSL-LHR on a Sunday?

My partner will be working in Oslo next month for a few days and I was thinking of joining him for a weekend to help top up the TPs.

I am looking at outbound on 21/6 and returning on 23/6. Happy with the late Friday flight at £130 as it fits in nicely with work. But the Sunday return - ouch! I didn't fancy the late flight that lands at 2235 as I won't get home until nearly midnight (up again at 6am the next day for work!).

Beyond the curtain isn't any more palatable and I begrudge paying that much for the meagre points I'll get.

It would be good to hear from any regulars on this route if it's normal for there to be a mass exodus out of OSL every Sunday, pushing up the prices!
Attached Images  
Old May 5, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
As you say, for the meagre points just fly SAS for £224

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...44*2.GBP.22400

Or if LGW isn’t an issue Norwegian for £190

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...00*2.GBP.19100
Old May 5, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC
I assume the high prices on this particular Sunday has something to do with school’s summer holiday starting that particular weekend - and all the cheaper tickets are long gone.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I used to take this flight (not only on Sunday) reasonably often and it may have improved but was also prone to knock on delays from earlier in the day and often ended up being the last flight into Heathrow. You then got dumped on the furthest airbridge As all the others were taken.

One I would avoid if possible!
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Just to add , when I’ve had this kind of thing on this route I’ve just bought two one ways . BA out and SAS or Norwegian back or vice versa.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If that last flight is unpleasant but actually do-able, you could book a Plus ticket in ET (or CE for that matter) and then use Same Day Change if there are still seats left. More likely to be the case in CE I would suspect.

But at these fare levels, you could also look into last minute Avios bookings. At these prices it seems unlikely (and I haven't looked in detail at how the land is lying for your specific dates) but as a general rule Avios is often a go-er in these scenarios.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Even with additional Gold, there’s only one CE Reward seat on the last flight right now, nothing else on the 23/06
Old May 5, 2019, 6:02 am

Oslo is always pricey on BA for some reason - a little odd as there is plenty of well priced competition, but the couple of times I've done it the flight has been full with a big CE section - so must be working for them!
Old May 5, 2019, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Even with additional Gold, there’s only one CE Reward seat on the last flight right now, nothing else on the 23/06
Golds can do Gold Priority Reward on this though. Doesn't help the OP unless they have a strong need to whizz around Tirana and Phoenix or whatever it is these days.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Ah! School holidays, of course. Darn it.

I could look at an Avios redemption and / or non-OW carrier but neither will score me TPs sadly. Maybe I need to drop that notion for this trip. I only need 540 by the end of year, so it's not like I'm desperate!
Old May 5, 2019, 7:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
OSL is a route where there fares seem to be significantly influenced by some (on the face of it, rather odd) BA scheduling.

On a Sunday where there would seem to be high demand, BA doesn't operate the late-morning BA763, and the next one, the BA767, is ‘only’ an A319.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Oslo is always pricey on BA for some reason - a little odd as there is plenty of well priced competition, but the couple of times I've done it the flight has been full with a big CE section - so must be working for them!
I recently booked two LHR-OSL returns for December - out just before Christmas and back on New Year's Eve - for £75 per person. You can't really do much better than that.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

£210 for ET on a Sunday evening sector booking 6 weeks out doesn’t seem that shockingly expensive TBH.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
My partner will be working in Oslo next month for a few days and I was thinking of joining him for a weekend to help top up the TPs.

I am looking at outbound on 21/6 and returning on 23/6. Happy with the late Friday flight at £130 as it fits in nicely with work. But the Sunday return - ouch! I didn't fancy the late flight that lands at 2235 as I won't get home until nearly midnight (up again at 6am the next day for work!).

Beyond the curtain isn't any more palatable and I begrudge paying that much for the meagre points I'll get.

It would be good to hear from any regulars on this route if it's normal for there to be a mass exodus out of OSL every Sunday, pushing up the prices!
23 June in the Nordics is mid summer. Super peak.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london

23 June in the Nordics is mid summer. Super peak.
Hardly mid summer. More like beginning of school holidays in Oslo that weekend. Peak holiday would be three weeks later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.