Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to F lounge at LGW

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I should reassure Pucci that LGW is one of my favourite lounges, it's just not somewhere I'd go out of my way to spend hours visiting as part of a trip if there were easy alternatives.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
One point that hasn't been made (as far as I can see) is that there are terrific runway views from the lounge, so if you enjoy a bit of plane spotting then you might want to breakfast there too. ....
And infinitely more interesting than the endless BA tails you get at LHR!
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

If you’ve already got breakfast covered at the Hilton then I’d make the most of that - it’s always been an excellent place for breakfast. Take your time then graze in the lounge as much as you want.

FYI: Sharp right out of the Hilton before you go down the tunnel to the south terminal. Much easier walk across the parking garage and terminal access on same level.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OrlandoSwan
FYI: Sharp right out of the Hilton before you go down the tunnel to the south terminal. Much easier walk across the parking garage and terminal access on same level.
That's been blocked off for a few months now, completely plastered over, so there's no avoiding the tunnel.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's been blocked off for a few months now, completely plastered over, so there's no avoiding the tunnel.
That’s a shame! Thanks for the heads up!!
Old May 6, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had my first trip from LGW in first a couple of weeks ago, so had my first experience of the first lounge. (Was travelling with wife and on holiday, as opposed to work on my own, which is the norm)

First experiences are that it didn't seem too dissimilar from the other lounge at Gatwick, except it was a bit smaller and had less people in it. We managed to get a couple of the seats overlooking the runway, so had a good view to pass the time. Got the menu and had ordered a burger from the chappie walking around, and that was tasty.

It wasn't like the HK lounge I was in back in January, but could happily spend 2-3 hours in it, anymore and I would probably resort to walking around the shops to pass the time!
Old May 6, 2019, 11:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I should reassure Pucci that LGW is one of my favourite lounges, it's just not somewhere I'd go out of my way to spend hours visiting as part of a trip if there were easy alternatives.
Honey - I do agree. I cannot quite understand this virus of Loungeitis. Everyone except me seems to want to trot round a load of Lounges in some places - T3 I think eating dumplings in one, gin in another, and that's only two of them. I am boring and totally unpredictable. I want to go in one Lounge, preferably drink Champagne and look out of the window and maybe start the Telegraph Cryptic Crossword. As long as there are not tedious people bellowing or screeching into their tiresome phones I am happy. I am there to go on a flight and think that I am really privileged to be able to use such places. Loads don't and loads never will.
stephenjc and bisonrav like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I am boring and totally unpredictable
Interesting self-analysis, Madame!

I would tend to disagree with both perspectives. The Gin I can understand, though.
I am there to go on a flight and think that I am really privileged to be able to use such places. Loads don't and loads never will.
Nice! ^
Old May 9, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
I’m in same position

I too have just reached Gold (woke up this morning and my screen had changed from grey to gold!) for the first time, and my first flight as gold will be from LGW to BOD. I’m wondering how early to get to first lounge for a 1525 flight.

Any thoughts?
Old May 9, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by RHWine
I too have just reached Gold (woke up this morning and my screen had changed from grey to gold!) for the first time, and my first flight as gold will be from LGW to BOD. I’m wondering how early to get to first lounge for a 1525 flight.

Any thoughts?
I tend to agree with most of the sentiment in this thread. I like that LGW F is usually pretty quiet compared to the rest of the terminal. If you fancy lounge food for lunch then it's fine -- as mentioned you can order off the a la carte menu for something made to order which will probably be better than the buffet.

If you like views of planes, don't have anywhere better to be and fancy a bite to eat and a glass of something while you read/work/play candy crush on your phone then it's a fine spot to spend an hour or so before boarding.

I reckon somewhere in the 12:30-13:00 region (for airport arrival, then a bit later to get through security etc) would be ample to have a relaxed time while waiting for a flight!

ps - congrats on making gold!
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by pythonisman; May 9, 2019 at 6:26 am Reason: added ps
Old May 9, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
@RHWine Our flight is 13.25 and we are going to have breakfast in the hotel and wander to the lounge sometime around 10ish. We plan to have a light lunch before 12 and a glass or two of bubbly. It is the start of a well-needed holiday for both of us so we want a gentle relax into it before the flight. Translating that to your timings that would mean you getting to the lounge around 12ish. Much before that and unless you have work to do or are stuck into a book you can't put down then you might get a bit bored I suspect.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond

Any thoughts?
Off to VinExpo? I'll be on the 15:25 to BOD on the 15th, just going out for the last day and to visit some producers.

Last edited by Vinotraveller; May 10, 2019 at 2:10 am
Old May 11, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold: HHonors Diamond; Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Off to VinExpo? I'll be on the 15:25 to BOD on the 15th, just going out for the last day and to visit some producers.
Yes!!

Haven’t been to Vinexpo before (done ProWein and Vinitaly for many years- never Vinexpo though). Just the Monday so I can see how it works - maybe longer next time.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond

Yes!!

Haven’t been to Vinexpo before (done ProWein and Vinitaly for many years- never Vinexpo though). Just the Monday so I can see how it works - maybe longer next time.
Have a great time. It is very good for tasting a big range of Bordeaux (unsurprisingly) as most of the Nego have large stands there, but it isn't a patch on ProWein in terms of being an international wine fair. I do prefer it to the chaos of Vinitaly though!
Old May 13, 2019, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
We fly on Wednesday so anyone have any last minute advice for LGW F Lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.