Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Old May 5, 2019, 8:26 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by amt

There’s the mistake... not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Just letting the OP know that there are those that agree with them, sympathize with their position, admire their lack of pacifist acceptance that the airline with the arguably the worst J class seats in the sky also has the worst J class seating selection policy, hope they aren’t feeling shouted down by those with an ‘I’m alright jack’ attitude.

BA's seating in SH J is the same as just about every other European airline. TK is one exception, but isn't truly European in any case.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
In the same theme I find what some US airlines call 'First Class' on domestic flights a deeply deceptive practice. Getting off a BA flight in First and connecting to a domestic First and the difference is huge (& not in a good way).
Nomenclature aside, it still compares quite favorably to the CE product. Though I agree that it makes no sense to call it first class.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by swingaling

Nomenclature aside, it still compares quite favorably to the CE product. Though I agree that it makes no sense to call it first class.
Why does it make no sense? It is the highest class of travel offered - as a name, it seems to make more sense than business class given that it isn't restricted to those travelling on business or doing business on the flight
Old May 5, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The point most people have been making is that there is no such thing as "industry standard".
And they are wrong. Obviously the industry standard is to let people choose seats for free. Nobody here was able to list any other airlines that do not allow seat selection for free in business class.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why does it make no sense? It is the highest class of travel offered - as a name, it seems to make more sense than business class given that it isn't restricted to those travelling on business or doing business on the flight
ok, I'll bite.

Whilst the seats are undoubtedly bigger than european J and you get a PDB, I certainly wouldn't describe the lounges, food, on-board service, comfort, space , amnesties or price as the best, nor the check-in at most US airports for "F' passengers or indeed the customer service (with the possible exception of Alaska on the last one).

Now as I've said on a recent discussion on another board that you are I have had, I don't fly in US that often and my view of US domestic F is partly the reason for that, so YVMV, but I would love to learn how you think that it is the best product out there.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And they are wrong. Obviously the industry standard is to let people choose seats for free. Nobody here was able to list any other airlines that do not allow seat selection for free in business class.
Ok, it isn't the norm, its a differentiator for BA, like filling up premium cabins is a differentiator for US carriers, it will benefit some and disadvantage others, this has been discussed multiple times before on Flyertalk and discussing it again really isn't going to achieve much; most with FF status on any OW airline will appreciate the policy, some people will be indifferent to the policy and those who, lets face it spend little on an individual basis, although collectively a large amount, with BA will not like the policy, but the question is whether they will continue to purchase these tickets when everything else meets their needs or not. Clearly these fees aren't new, and we certainly can't see any impact that they have had on restricted revenue.

Now back OT, perhaps BA could make it clearer when upgrading, so that you didn't have to click of T&Cs, something like Seat Selection Available For A Fee, or just allow the same seat selection screen that clearly identifies the cost as when doing a normal booking. But they don't advertise something which is not there, it is not a scam
nancypants and etiene like this.

Last edited by navylad; May 5, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1st class can simply mean the highest class of travel offered on that flight - not indicate some specific luxury. AA calls the highest cabin on all its domestic routes as 1st class ; 1st class on a 737 is not the same as 1st class on its 3 class services

On trains, 1st class varies in seating and service depending on route and operator - they are all classified as 1st class though
Old May 5, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
1st class can simply mean the highest class of travel offered on that flight - not indicate some specific luxury. AA calls the highest cabin on all its domestic routes as 1st class ; 1st class on a 737 is not the same as 1st class on its 3 class services

On trains, 1st class varies in seating and service depending on route and operator - they are all classified as 1st class though
So why don't more people fly Southwest, where everybody is first class
Old May 5, 2019, 10:01 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I'm sorry but this "customers need to read all the T&Cs clearly before buying anything" logic is BS. It is not reasonable to expect that customers would spend hours reading full EULAs for every mundane purchase. We'd waste too much of our precious time to go about our daily lives (and probably still be none the wiser).

Here comes the inevitable analogy: if you see a "Meal deal" advertised for your sandwich at your local Dodgybuy, you'd be forgiven to assume that it includes a snack and drink. Oh, you didn't read the small print? Too bad for you: at Dodgybuy you get a free plastic fork with your meal deals, that's all. You'll have to pay full price for that £2.79 smoothie now.

The first time I ever bought a J ticket I did it on an OTA who charged me a nice price for the seat selection. That was before I found out I could have done it on the same ticket myself, for free. I was pretty mad when I found out.

Do I think that this sort of business practice, including Dodgybuy's meal deal as well BA's seat charge, are "scams" in the legal sense? Certainly not.
Are they despicable and dishonest business practices that deserve being shamed on social media, and should influence your choice of ever giving them your custom again? Yes, totally.

P.S. Woah OP paid £88 for a J ticket with a £22 hidden charge? If it's a scam then I want to be scammed more often please.
Scam is just a colloquial term, there’s no inherent illegality or minimum loss to a scam. The word for a scam that carries legal weight is fraud, saying the OP was defrauded or BA committed an act of fraud.

Despite applying 10 times previously, I fell victim to that ESTA scam last year when I found mine had expired at the check in, you know the deal... same looking website, top search result on google, who knows what the USA are charging these days, state of anxiety.

Same deal with your TA, I’m sure they had buried in the bottom that there was a ‘service charge or connivence fee’ but you Sir, were indeed scammed, and I doubt you gave them your business again or any positive recommendation.

A better anecdote to your meal deal is the unscrupulous restaurant that offers bread or tap water, then adds a charge to your bill. Industry standard is complimentary with the meal and sure it says somewhere in the menu, but that’s not the expectation and you shouldn’t have to check all corners of the menu. It’s a scam and bad service.

Some people derive satisfaction or sense of superiority from seeing people caught out, I don’t understand this. It actually seems for more prevalent in regard to frequent travellers, maybe it’s associated with type A personality.

Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by amt
Some people derive satisfaction or sense of superiority from seeing people caught out, I don’t understand this. It actually seems for more prevalent in regard to frequent travellers, maybe it’s associated with type A personality.

i see no evidence of that here, jealousy to the Op getting such a bargain yes, people who like the rules as they are as it benefits them as FF, but certainly no satisfaction at another person’s misfortune; I’d give up on the psychology hypothesis if I were you, not sure it helps anyone.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
To me, BA could/should highlight better the seat selection "issue" when booking J. It isn't immediately clear when the price is displayed and I remember I was surprised, in my first booking ever with BA, to discover I had to pay for seat selection. I don't know for POUG as I don't think I ever took one.

That said, for the price the OP paid I would not really complain.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:03 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by navylad

i see no evidence of that here, jealousy to the Op getting such a bargain yes, people who like the rules as they are as it benefits them as FF, but certainly no satisfaction at another person’s misfortune; I’d give up on the psychology hypothesis if I were you, not sure it helps anyone.
I'd know better than to try gas lighting someone that's obviously aware of basic psychology.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by amt
I'd know better than to try gas lighting someone that's obviously aware of basic psychology.
[Rolls Eyes]
Old May 6, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I love that BA doesn't give free seat selection, because it means that airline status is a true differentiator.

It is the only perk of status that actually matters to me in the air because it means that more good seats are available to me (and other status holders) at booking time. I can't think of any other BAEC perk that has any material effect on the in-aircraft experience.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: QF WP
They could make it fair for everyone by having advance seat selection only for elites, no paid option (so no one feels they’re being gouged), and non elites just allocated whatever at check in

i’m reasonably confident that wouldn’t stop people complaining though 😉

qantas doesn’t charge for seat assignments in business. What it does instead is block so much of the cabin for elites that it’s basically pointless trying to select a seat before time anyway
Old May 6, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by nancypants
qantas doesn’t charge for seat assignments in business. What it does instead is block so much of the cabin for elites that it’s basically pointless trying to select a seat before time anyway
And the US carriers (as mentioned above) aggressively upgrade their status holders to the premium cabins at the last minute. This can mean that there at lots of seats to choose from because only a small number of the people in the cabin actually paid to be there.

I'm amused to see 3 different ways of achieving the same goals. I like BAs way because it benefits me personally. I can see how the OP was frustrated because BA's way of doing things was not to his advantage.

That said: I think every seat in CE is about as good as any other. I think I only ever select 1A when it's available just because it appeals to my sense of self-importance, not because it's meaningfully better than 2C or 4F.
T8191 and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.