Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All anyone has to do is read the link on ba.com, surely?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat
Old May 5, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
What are the “industry standards” that are referred to? There do not seem to be any industry strandards as to maximum weight of carry on, excess or overweight luggage fees, seat pitch, etc.
Can you give me the list of airlines that charge for choosing a seat in business class?
Old May 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
There are no industry standards as to what any particular class of service should be like. People who buy a product or a service based on the assumption rather than finding out what they're actually buying only have themselves to blame if they are not happy with such product or service. I understand that some people are unhappy that they have to pay for seats but it is not a scam when the airline makes it very clear to you what to expect.
Ah, if so I'd like to sell you some "5G" service that doesn't run too fast.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Basically two J long hauls or 3 W will get free selection from time of booking for up to two years, and 1 J and 2 W will get it from 7 days out (plus a few more flights somewhere to pick up the residual TPs and BA marketed flights). Everyone gets a free choice eventually too.

So loyalty is rewarded very quickly indeed. It's probably the key BAEC selling point, so BA are hardly likely to reverse it. No-one with status is going to want it changed.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to BA's policy, that was listed, only J&C class get complimentary seat assignment
Are you quoting long haul policy or short haul? The OP is complaining about short haul seat selection, short haul J, C and D fares allow free seat selection from time of reservation, at least on the MAN-LHR flights I’ve just tried again.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Are you quoting long haul policy or short haul? The OP is complaining about short haul seat selection, short haul J, C and D fares allow free seat selection from time of reservation, at least on the MAN-LHR flights I’ve just tried again.
Correct, when booked as short haul, these "Club Flex" fares include free seat assignments from the time of booking
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you give me the list of airlines that charge for choosing a seat in business class?
Swiss charge for certain seats in their business class cabin unless you're top tier in LH or their programme. They also don't let anyone who isn't top tier book reward class first class tickets - but that's a different issue.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Swiss charge for certain seats in their business class cabin unless you're top tier in LH or their programme. They also don't let anyone who isn't top tier book reward class first class tickets - but that's a different issue.
That's not a list. That's not even one airline. They don't charge for the vast majority of the seats in the business class cabin, only for a very select few.
That's different from BA that charges you to choose any single seat in the business class cabin.

It is definitely not the norm. In fact, it meets the definition of "abnormal". It is not "industry standard" as some have suggested.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's not a bait and switch. It's well known that you don't get free seat choice in BA J class.
The fact that people would buy such a ticket knowing that fact is an eternal paradox.
Fine if the boss is footing the bill, but actually yanking your own money out for that? Just don't get it.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did the fare difference compare to the cost of reserving a business class seat?
The seat selection was £89 vs £300 extra (plus extra tier points/miles) for the First seat.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not a list. That's not even one airline. They don't charge for the vast majority of the seats in the business class cabin, only for a very select few.
That's different from BA that charges you to choose any single seat in the business class cabin.

It is definitely not the norm. In fact, it meets the definition of "abnormal". It is not "industry standard" as some have suggested.
I never claimed it was a list, that it was every seat or that it was the norm.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Similar for me... except :-

And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to another airline and don't have to pay to select my seats.
Flying to BOS from LHR with an onward connection prevents me doing that.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Ah, if so I'd like to sell you some "5G" service that doesn't run too fast.
I am not sure what your comment purports to say. The passenger was not sold a ticket with free seat selection. The airline did not promise one thing but delivered something else. Let's not make things up please.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure what your comment purports to say. The passenger was not sold a ticket with free seat selection. The airline did not promise one thing but delivered something else. Let's not make things up please.
Historically, internet access (be it Broadband, Fibre, or Mobile) didn't come with a guarantee of any specific speed, but rather a promise of "best efforts". The rules are shifting slowly, but if your provider decides to screw you might be stuck.

Perhaps s0ssos thinks this is a BA-level of customer service?
Old May 5, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA
As far as I know, BA is the only one. But then BA is charges for a cup of coffee in economy even when flying a flex fare.

But there is no consistency or standards -- on Swiss I would have to pay extra to advance reserve a throne seat in business (no status) -- I did not have to do that flying Emirates.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.