Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Old May 5, 2019, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
Look on the bright side, as the upgrade includes a CE checked baggage allowance your partner could potentially save up to £61 in baggage charges
Well indeed.....plus all the other included benefits the non status passenger receives when flying CE. On such a flight early seat selection isn't necessary anyway.

Look on the bright side OP you got a bargain price. Just make sure your female friend takes advantage of all that is included....lounge access especially. ^
Old May 5, 2019, 6:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've dropped to Bronze this year due to a new job etc. And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to an F ticket and don't have to pay to select my seats.
Similar for me... except :-

And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to another airline and don't have to pay to select my seats.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by amt
The product is sold in many places as’ business class’ or an equivalent thereof, it’s more than an assumption, it’s industry standard and an implied covenant that it be suitable or facilitating to conducting business, If I were to book seats with a colleague and we were required to pay a fee to be seated together, that’s neither fit for purpose or as described.

If I we’re to offer, for a surcharge a product sold as ‘express service’ and it was no faster then the standard or to name a product ‘extra leg room’ and it had no more inches above standard. You would consider it a defense to say our version of that service doesn’t actually include those features?

Believe what you like. I side with the OP, it’s a scam.
What are the “industry standards” that are referred to? There do not seem to be any industry strandards as to maximum weight of carry on, excess or overweight luggage fees, seat pitch, etc.

nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Welcome to flyer talk.

£13 of the upgrade cost is the additional APD.

The cost of the ticket or that it is double or triple the cost of the economy ticket is immaterial. Seat Fees have been in place for non status passenger for several years and the policy is very clear.

You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to say, incorrectly, that this is some sort of scam. And BA isn’t the only airline to charge seat selection fees.

There is no scam. If you want a specific seat then yes you have to pay for it. If you don’t then wait to get one for free when OLCI opens.

if she has already flown and the correct number of avios and tier points haven’t credited to her account then there is a mechanism to claim for them. If she has yet to fly then you are premature to be complaining.
AFAIK BA is the only major full service carrier that charges passengers confirmed in paid business class for all advanced seat assignments (assuming no status, no children, and no special needs). On longer flights, these fees are substantial.
brodielayne and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by amt
The product is sold in many places as’ business class’ or an equivalent thereof, it’s more than an assumption, it’s industry standard and an implied covenant that it be suitable or facilitating to conducting business, If I were to book seats with a colleague and we were required to pay a fee to be seated together, that’s neither fit for purpose or as described.

If I we’re to offer, for a surcharge a product sold as ‘express service’ and it was no faster then the standard or to name a product ‘extra leg room’ and it had no more inches above standard. You would consider it a defense to say our version of that service doesn’t actually include those features?

Believe what you like. I side with the OP, it’s a scam.
And you too are entitled to believe what like. However the idea that all airlines must offer the exact same services and features for their products and that any deviation from that template constitutes a scam is a leap in logic that I don't think many will agree with you on.

This is a question of "value for money". Fine. But when a product being offered doesn't meet your personal expectations that is not the definition of a scam. .I side with all the others that say you are mistaken. Its not a scam.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK BA is the only major full service carrier that charges passengers confirmed in paid business class for all advanced seat assignments (assuming no status, no children, and no special needs). On longer flights, these fees are substantial.

Paid advance seat selection only applies for the heavily discounted fares (IR), there is free seat selection for the higher fares (JCD). This is certainly a ‘Marmite’ policy but one I certainly appreciate. Long may it continue.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've dropped to Bronze this year due to a new job etc. And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to an F ticket and don't have to pay to select my seats.
How did the fare difference compare to the cost of reserving a business class seat?
Old May 5, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Paid advance seat selection only applies for the heavily discounted fares (IR), there is free seat selection for the higher fares (JCD). This is certainly a ‘Marmite’ policy but one I certainly appreciate. Long may it continue.
Then maybe these shold be identified as business class lite fares when booking. The problem is that most customers wouldn't think that one needs to verify free seat assignments when purchasing business class tickets since seats are free in business class on other carriers. BA isn't supposed to be RyanAir.
amt, skywardhunter and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Purely as a devil's advocate, I could make the Ryanair-style argument that any unbundling simply gives customers more choice and opportunity to save money: "We are delighted that almost uniquely among major carriers, we allow our customers get the best value for money by choosing not to pay for seat selection they may not need, even when flying business class."

Actually I don't feel too strongly either way, but on balance I think it is probably a bit cheap not to include seat selection in a "business" ticket, when luggage, lounge access, food, drink, etc are all included, but could potentially also be priced separately.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Actually I don't feel too strongly either way, but on balance I think it is probably a bit cheap not to include seat selection in a "business" ticket, when luggage, lounge access, food, drink, etc are all included, but could potentially also be priced separately.
... thus removing one of the significant benefits of BAEC status?

So as a Gold/GGL, you find you can't get your 'favourite' seat, because someone has already grabbed it for free on their first ever flight on BA?

I don't think so!
flygirl68, nancypants and etiene like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Question is whether this is intended or accidental trolling.

£39.72 + £49.00 = £88.72.

That's all that needs to be said.
nancypants and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
Question is whether this is intended or accidental trolling.

£39.72 + £49.00 = £88.72.

That's all that needs to be said.
I think you might have to say a little more. Or am I the only one that doesn't understand the significance of £88.72?
cauchy likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Then maybe these shold be identified as business class lite fares when booking. The problem is that most customers wouldn't think that one needs to verify free seat assignments when purchasing business class tickets since seats are free in business class on other carriers. BA isn't supposed to be RyanAir.
All the information is presented during the booking process and again during the POUG process. No need to strain through reams of small print, it is just a matter of reading the bullet points.

See. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25075396-post582.html
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The policy has been around for many, many years and has been debated to death in this forum. I’m not going to regurgitate the old arguments if you don’t mind, you can do a quick search. Many regular travellers who, by necessity, only make reservations closer to departure appreciate this policy. As others have said supra, BA does not hide its seating policy.

In the OP’s case, they are entitled to a refund of the seat selection fee if they do not wish to pay the difference in fee for selecting a new seat in the Club cabin. So, despite the assertion of a scam, the OP can get that fee refunded.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by amt
The product is sold in many places as’ business class’ or an equivalent thereof, it’s more than an assumption, it’s industry standard and an implied covenant that it be suitable or facilitating to conducting business
There are no industry standards as to what any particular class of service should be like. People who buy a product or a service based on the assumption rather than finding out what they're actually buying only have themselves to blame if they are not happy with such product or service. I understand that some people are unhappy that they have to pay for seats but it is not a scam when the airline makes it very clear to you what to expect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.