Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 4:09 am
MWF
Original Poster

Programs: NONE

I have recently bought a Eurotraveller ticket Cost £39.72 for my Household Account partner for a flight from London Gatwick to Bordeaux I have now upgraded her ticket to Club Europe at a cost of £49.00 which more than doubles the original cost. I am now insulted by the request to choose a seat at a further cost of £22. I find this outrageous and will now retain from booking flights with BA when any alternative is available. Furthermore the additional Avios point have not been credited to our household Account. Not pleased.
amt and m3red like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure which part of the paid seat selection is a scam? When upgrading and the benefits of Club Europe were listed it does not state free seat selection. Which other airlines offer a business class seat to Europe for under £100?
Old May 5, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
You don't get the avios until the segment has been flown, so that may be the issue there.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So, not a scam then...
Old May 5, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, not a scam then...
Well some might say charging for seat selection in J is a scam no matter how it's advertised...
1P, Crampedin13A, DYKWIA and 20 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well some might say charging for seat selection in J is a scam no matter how it's advertised...
Well, yes
Old May 5, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
There’s very little reason to pay for seat selection on CE narrow body from LGW. They’re all much of a muchness.
I’d just ignore it and move on.
FYI - It’s a very cheap/ good value air ticket you’ve picked up.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Welcome to flyer talk.

£13 of the upgrade cost is the additional APD.

The cost of the ticket or that it is double or triple the cost of the economy ticket is immaterial. Seat Fees have been in place for non status passenger for several years and the policy is very clear.

You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to say, incorrectly, that this is some sort of scam. And BA isn’t the only airline to charge seat selection fees.

There is no scam. If you want a specific seat then yes you have to pay for it. If you don’t then wait to get one for free when OLCI opens.

if she has already flown and the correct number of avios and tier points haven’t credited to her account then there is a mechanism to claim for them. If she has yet to fly then you are premature to be complaining.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
No more of a scam than any other airline that charges for seat selection these days, like Lufthansa, Swiss, Easyjet or Ryanair. That said I often factor this in when making reservations, including any possible baggage or other fees, when calculating total flight cost. In many cases, airlines, such as Ryanair, even with seat charges, come out cheaper than some of the "full service" airlines that don't charge for seats.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a great deal you got!
Old May 5, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Extras hit you everywhere ... this for a simple upcoming Jet2 flight, JER-LBA. We only need one bag, but the options only allow us both to have one! So add 50% to the bill for extras, equivalent to the fare for the outbound leg for 2 people!

Old May 5, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
So, a "scam" is anything someone doesn't personally deem to be good value now?

In that case, the majority of my regular monthly utility bills and tax obligations fit this definition. Which branch of the police can I report them to please?
Old May 5, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NYTA
No more of a scam than any other airline that charges for seat selection these days, like Lufthansa, Swiss, Easyjet or Ryanair.
I think the issue that some people have is that BA also charges for seat selection in premium economy and business class. It is of course not more of a scam than being asked to pay to fly.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MWF
II am now insulted by the request to choose a seat at a further cost of £22..
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum MWF. By the sounds of it, you may not find yourself visiting here too often, but there are advantages if you persist. Not least finding the ways and means to get best value from your travel spend.

There is no real point in buy seating on CE, the nature of Theoretical Seating is such is that she will almost certainly have a selection of seats available at online check-in, including perhaps row 1. I can see some point in buying seat selection in ET if in a group, but not in CE as a single traveller. The original ticket is something of a bargain, and if your partner gets lounge access, extra baggage, Premium Gatwick security, extra tier points and Avios, then the uplift for Club Europe seems reasonable or even good value for money. So stop the money machine there, would be my take on it, seat selection pricing makes your ticket cheaper, so long as other people pay it!
:D! likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Look on the bright side, as the upgrade includes a CE checked baggage allowance your partner could potentially save up to £61 in baggage charges
HIDDY and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.