Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Closed Thread

Old May 5, 19, 2:52 pm
MWF
Original Poster

Programs: NONE
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Not sure which part of the paid seat selection is a scam? When upgrading and the benefits of Club Europe were listed it does not state free seat selection. Which other airlines offer a business class seat to Europe for under £100?
Old May 5, 19, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I am not sure what your comment purports to say. The passenger was not sold a ticket with free seat selection. The airline did not promise one thing but delivered something else. Let's not make things up please.
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Historically, internet access (be it Broadband, Fibre, or Mobile) didn't come with a guarantee of any specific speed, but rather a promise of "best efforts". The rules are shifting slowly, but if your provider decides to screw you might be stuck.

Perhaps s0ssos thinks this is a BA-level of customer service?
The airline promised "business class". Which means free seat selection. On every single other airline.

I don't know if this is news over in Europe, but ATT has been advertising "5G-E", even though it isn't actual 5G. But then, what is 5G, they argue?
It is the same argument as "what is business class" and what it entails? If everybody has their own definition, who is anybody to say they are wrong?
If you clearly state on your webpage that you are selling business class and give a description that is basically an economy seat, is that wrong? Hey, you delineated the benefits.
Old May 5, 19, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel View Post
As far as I know, BA is the only one. But then BA is charges for a cup of coffee in economy even when flying a flex fare.

But there is no consistency or standards -- on Swiss I would have to pay extra to advance reserve a throne seat in business (no status) -- I did not have to do that flying Emirates.
Is it fair to say there is no consistency or standard because BA doesn't follow the standard? Does one outlier make it so there are no standards?
Old May 5, 19, 3:08 pm
MWF
Original Poster

I have mistakenly expected service and good and fair value for money when buying this upgrade. I bought the upgrade for my sister who is 72 years of age , but she can have free champagne but does not drink alcohol and the use of the ‘lounge’. Is this worth doubling the fare ? I am sorry I expected too much from BA
Old May 5, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Gosh, I do like these threads when they get some legs.

FWIW, I don’t like zero lounge access and no meal when flying 2/3/4+ hours in F in the US. I don’t b***h and moan and call it a scam however.
T8191, nancypants and etiene like this.
Old May 5, 19, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I have mistakenly expected service and good and fair value for money when buying this upgrade. I bought the upgrade for my sister who is 72 years of age , but she can have free champagne but does not drink alcohol and the use of the ‘lounge’. Is this worth doubling the fare ? I am sorry I expected too much from BA
When is / was the flight?

The extra you paid for CE is very good value in my opinion, given no status.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 3:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
You actually have a bargain! The price you've paid for a business class ticket is very good indeed, much lower than many economy fares.

Have you asked for your refund of the economy advance seat selection fee?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
The airline promised "business class". Which means free seat selection. On every single other airline.
It means only what the airline advertises to you. Free seat selection does not come with all business class tickets on BA; same as champagne is not offered in business class on LH or KL but is offered on BA. Let's not be children here and point out to what other airlines offer. Business class offerings do differ and buying a ticket based on the experience on a different airline is akin going to a restaurant and expecting the same meals and prices as in one you were a week before. The OP bought a ticket on BA, and BA's seat selection policy is clear. We can discuss whether or not it is a good policy (there are many threads on the topic), but nothing bad happened here apart from the fact that the OP, unfortunately, did not really know what he was buying.
cbagent, nancypants and etiene like this.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 5, 19 at 3:44 pm
Old May 5, 19, 3:29 pm

What service have you not had? You have exceptional value for a business class seat. I hope BA never changes this policy which allows free seat selection at time of booking for One world Emeralds like me. It is grossly unfair to allow once in a blue moon flyers to take all the best seats in advance and leave frequent flyers who tend to book late with the leftovers.

Just because this does not suit your particular case, doesn't mean it is bad for the rest of us.
Old May 5, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy View Post
Historically, internet access (be it Broadband, Fibre, or Mobile) didn't come with a guarantee of any specific speed, but rather a promise of "best efforts". The rules are shifting slowly, but if your provider decides to screw you might be stuck.
But BA does not promise to do its best to pre-assign a seat for free. A seat can either be pre-assigned for free or not. It always works. No promises are broken.
Old May 5, 19, 4:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have mistakenly expected service and good and fair value for money when buying this upgrade.
That's a reasonable statement but it doesn't mean the airline is operating a scam.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

Are you quoting long haul policy or short haul? The OP is complaining about short haul seat selection, short haul J, C and D fares allow free seat selection from time of reservation, at least on the MAN-LHR flights I’ve just tried again.
Domestic may be different, but for Short and long haul international routes, only J & C get free seat selection - the OP is booking for an international flight

Obviously make sure not to be logged in with an account hoding status and make a booking in business class LHR to AMS on 11 May at 06:45

The lowest business availability , at the moment, is D class - I checked the selling class

Making a booking and it will charge GBP18, 20 or 22 for seat selection

It is only J & C that get the complimentary seat selection

Ii is what it is, but to suggest that D class is a heavily discounted business class , when 1st class fares start lower than it is, seems unreasonable

As far as good value goes, taking the tax off of the GBP39.72, the base fare was GBP12 . From the GBP49, GBP13 was tax, making the upgrade cost GBP36

The actual fare supplement was 3 times the base fare. - the OP paid 4 times the price for business class over economy

Sorry to disappoint I thought this was a serious blog, I have said I thought an upgrade meant upgrade not having to read through BA's T&C's to find there were more extras to pay. perhaps when I arrive at the airport I expect to pay extra for a seat in in the lounge. I am NOT grumbling about the price it is the service that I am questioning.
This is not a blog, but a discussion forum ; if you want help on something it can be very helpful ; where a complaint is unwarranted, such as the airline doing exactly what it documents to do, isn't going to get much help
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 5, 19 at 4:24 pm
Old May 5, 19, 4:16 pm
MWF
Original Poster

Sorry to disappoint I thought this was a serious blog, I have said I thought an upgrade meant upgrade not having to read through BA's T&C's to find there were more extras to pay. perhaps when I arrive at the airport I expect to pay extra for a seat in in the lounge. I am NOT grumbling about the price it is the service that I am questioning.

Most airline offer similar deals etc but the thing that makes the difference and impresses customers is the service. having been a world traveller for more than 50 years I now have the impression that airlines treat their customers as merely "self propelled cargo".

I shall now leave this blog to the pedants.

Last edited by MWF; May 5, 19 at 4:17 pm Reason: mistake
Old May 5, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Most airline offer similar deals etc but the thing that makes the difference and impresses customers is the service. having been a world traveller for more than 50 years I now have the impression that airlines treat their customers as merely "self propelled cargo".

I shall now leave this blog to the pedants.
OP, sorry you feel let down by the assumption you made, did you call BA. I do think you will struggle to find a business class seat globally for such a bargain which I’m sure you can appreciate from your 50 years of travelling.

This really isnt isn’t about being a pendant, and I can understand your frustration having made an assumption, but yes at that price BA are indeed incredible cheap, many on here will be quite jealous of your find.

in practical terms, the only real issue here is if you desperately want a front row seat, otherwise, there is very little that will actually change by not paying this fee for a single pax.

i understand your frustration with not drinking, there is a lot industry wide that is aimed at the drinkers amongst us, which I am not one either.

On the plus side, lounge access is nice and looking at paid for lounges at LGW, they cost £32 in themselves, and your getting food onboard and drinks (even soft drinks), and extra space.

If thats not what you are looking for and this has been booked in the last 24 hours, I’d try calling BA and ask for the upgrade to be cancelled.
Jimmie76 and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 19, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Domestic may be different, but for Short and long haul international routes, only J & C get free seat selection - the OP is booking for an international flight

Obviously make sure not to be logged in with an account hoding status and make a booking in business class LHR to AMS on 11 May at 06:45

The lowest business availability , at the moment, is D class - I checked the selling class

Making a booking and it will charge GBP18, 20 or 22 for seat selection

It is only J & C that get the complimentary seat selection
The rules governing eligibility for free seating changed some time ago when BA rebranded it’s short haul point to point fares. Now JDC fares are branded as Club Flex and qualify for free seat selection.

Here is an example of a D class LGW-BOD
Attached Images  
HIDDY and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread