Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The problem with theoretical seating

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:12 am

I don't really see a difference between booking as a single and hoping the middle seat stays free, and doing that as a couple. Chances are some other solo snags the aisle so we're in effect doing the exact same thing. I travel more as a singleton than a pair, but I wouldn't want to require one of us to sit in the middle regardless. Maybe we should make it fair to everyone by insisting that every other person to check in has to take a middle seat, whether they are travelling with someone or not *joke*

I explained up there why it's different in cinemas and theatres. In those places a large majority of people are sitting in middle seats anyway so it makes more sense to avoid gaps. In rows of just 3 seats, each a different seat type, it's a very different game.

I genuinely can't see how what you're proposing is fairer to all. I can see that it would give singletons potentially more options, but it's at a cost to the poor pair-person who has no choice but to take a middle seat. That's not my definition of fair.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I genuinely can't see how what you're proposing is fairer to all. I can see that it would give singletons potentially more options, but it's at a cost to the poor pair-person who has no choice but to take a middle seat. That's not my definition of fair.
Likewise I genuinely don't see how being able to book A and C from the start is fair. I'm sure people choose A and C as the vast majority want the middle seat free, I've no doubt about that.

When I've travelled as a couple I have always taken window and middle leaving the aisle free but sometimes I've taken aisle and middle as I consider that personally to be more considerate to other travellers, especially single travellers.

We're way off topic here so I'll say no more on the matter and our thinking is aligned differently/have completely different opinions but that's one good thing about FT you can read others views, try to see it from their point but not necessarily agree with them at the end of it
KeaneJohn and alex67500 like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I am really mystified by the A+C thing.

I am Gold and Mrs R is Silver. If we travel in ET she has A and I have B. TS still works as normal and C is blocked. If nobody shows up at ‘Boarding Complete’ then I move across to C. If not then I happily stay in the middle seat. Nobody is inconvenienced or put under pressure to swap.

if we want more space then we fly in CE.

Am I doing it wrong?
PETER01, alex67500 and jfallesen like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Likewise I genuinely don't see how being able to book A and C from the start is fair. I'm sure people choose A and C as the vast majority want the middle seat free, I've no doubt about that.
Anybody being able to select any available seat seems fair to me.

What if I am travelling with my boss and we have no wish to sit together? Would you prefer we are forced into a middle and aisle/window?

But I agree that anyone trying to game the system should not inconvenience others (and my definition of that precludes asking anyone in B to swap, no matter how pleasantly), and certainly can't complain if the person declines.

Perhaps I should play devils advocate and say that singletons should be restricted from selecting any seat in an empty row of three. Instead they should be offered seats in rows that are already partially occupied, leaving more choice for later couples and families...
Old May 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Robespierre

I am Gold and Mrs R is Silver. If we travel in ET she has A and I have B. TS still works as normal and C is blocked. If nobody shows up at ‘Boarding Complete’ then I move across to C. If not then I happily stay in the middle seat. Nobody is inconvenienced or put under pressure to swap.

Am I doing it wrong?
Thats how I do it if I am travelling with people though they usually don’t have status and is In my opinion the most considerate way. Some people would say there’s more likely hood of a single person selecting C as opposed to B so there’s less chance of that seat remaining empty hence the selection of A and C to try and get a better chance.of an empty seat.

Old May 9, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Robespierre

Am I doing it wrong?
You know what...? You are absolutely right!!! @:-)

If only one is Gold then put the Gold in the middle to maximise the chance of a block.

Why didn't I think of that? DOH! ^

PS now going through existing bookings changing to A & B!!!
PETER01 and alex67500 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.