Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The problem with theoretical seating

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Opinions are great. We can all have them. Mostly, they are free.

I am not persuaded that someone expressing an opinion is showing hostility.

It's just a different opinion.
I would say that prefacing the opinion with "This is the worse type of passenger" is pretty hostile ! Perhaps I am too thin skinned, but i certainly read it that way.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I agree. I am not sure why it matters whether I go for the empty seat is in the aisle or window over the middle. An empty seat is an empty seat and as a Gold I have the right to have that empty seat if TS allows it. If that seat if filled then as Gold and non-Gold alike, I have the right to ask the passenger in that seat if they would be prepared to move. They don't have to but they might be pleased to do so. If I was assigned a middle seat and then when I boarded the passenger in the aisle or window asked if I'd like to swap I'd be thrilled to bits to get an aisle or window instead of the middle. I really don't see why anyone should be criticised for taking A & C or D & F in the hope of a clear middle seat.

As for the comments... I too find some of the comments on the board rather unnecessarily unfriendly. Aren't we all meant to be friends here? There are a lot of comments that sometimes seem to have no real purpose other than to have something to argue about but rather than getting uptight about them I just try to let them go and move on. The more we argue the toss with them the more they argue back.

The forum has way too many nice folk here to let the few argumentative ones spoil it for us

Just my 2p's worth.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I would say that prefacing the opinion with "This is the worse type of passenger" is pretty hostile ! Perhaps I am too thin skinned, but i certainly read it that way.
There is a line that was crossed there IMO...

The statement "... that is the worst type of passenger..." took it into the realm of personal criticism... almost insult... not just comment. Everyone has the right to comment regardless of their position but personal insults I believe are unfriendly and unnecessary to get your point across.

No, I don't think you are too thin-skinned at all. We shouldn't have to be thick-skinned to be here IMO and if we have respect of our fellow members then the issue wouldn't come up.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
And last week I was sitting in front of two Golds who spent the entire journey, from boarding to disembarkation, talking about aircraft types and TP runs they have done/will be doing/are hoping to do in mind-numbing detail.
What's wrong with that?
alex67500 and Wbeest like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity
Without wishing to sound a snob, but the problem with them blocking seats next to Golds, is some of the people who get allocated the seat when the flight is full (who didn’t check in until the airport).
I often wonder how people like you would deal with someone talking about one of your loved ones like that?

You would hate me.. on a long haul flight i am consistently getting things out of my overhead locker and on shorthaul flights, i go to the toilet 2-3 times even on a 1.5 hour flight probably because i drink too much water and am a nervous flyer.

If you do not like people getting up for any reason, take the window seat. As you have mentioned, you are gold, so you can chose this.

PS. i never get the exit seat because in an emergency i would probably have a panic attack and not be of much use at all.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Haven't you all missed the point here? The reason that the middle passenger was (quite rightly) expected to move was because he had boarded early based on the fact he needed "special assistance", so clearly was not sufficiently able-bodied to sit in the exit row. If he struggles to board the plane, chances are that he'd struggle to heave a 20kg escape hatch open.

I often play the A-C or D-F game when travelling with a partner, on the assumption that 98% of people would definitely prefer to swap than keep a middle. On the flight when I do find that 2% who refuses to move, we'll quickly get over it and use it as material for a future anecdote, about this one time, where, because of theoretical seating... etc.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

This is the worse type of passenger someone booking an A and C or D and F hoping to keep the middle,seat free and expecting the passenger in the middle to move if the seat gets taken. Anyway that’s another thread and I don’t have enough popcorn for that.
Here's a variation - we usually book the two aisles in a middle block of three seats. If someone is assigned the middle, they usually ask to swap, and we usually say sorry (and if necessary, remind them that we paid extra for a ticket that allows seat selection), but they usually don't like it!
Old May 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
This is an interesting viewpoint that I do not follow, so please explain. Mrs FF99 and I are both Gold and so are entitled to take any available seat free of charge: a clearly published benefit. I take it that you would not begrudge us 2 of the 6 exit row seats if free ? We have an unpublished benefit, that if the plane is not full we will most likely be first in line to have an empty seat next to us. What I am not following is why it is more objectionable to take A and C and leave B free, in the hope that it will not be filled, than taking B and C and hoping that A will not be filled ?

In the latter case, the stray late check-in pax would get A and that is exactly what he got when we offered it to him. Why is our behaviour so grossly objectionable that it is worthy of specific criticism ? We would never dream of insisting that the middle pax move if they did not want to. The way we have done it offers them the option of middle or window, rather than forcing a window on them. Can you explain why this outcome is so unfair, in circumstances where BA has actually gone to the lengths of writing a programme that aims to keep the middle seat free for us if not actually required for another passenger ?

I have to say that the degree of hostility shown by some posters to perfectly reasonable posts by others (my post actually concerned the incompetence of the check-in staff and CC, on which you and others have not commented) is a reason why my visits to FT have scaled down considerably from the halcyon era 15 years ago, when everybody treated the Board as a place for light-hearted and informative banter. I believe that I am not the first to comment on this, and I am sure that I won't be the last.
Hostility wasn’t intended but if one of you selects A and one of you selects C I don’t really think it’s fair to even ask B to swap. Surely the argument would be those were the seats you wanted so those would be the ones you had, This is why I think it’s the worst type of passengers to put unnecessary pressure on the other passenger who is being ‘offered’ a seat swap.

The philosophy that they would have sat in A or C anyway had BC or AB been selected isn’t really applicable here as neither A nor C were available.

If you want 3 seats between the 2 of you when travelling ET BA will sell you a comfort seat from as little as Ł40. Not sure what the rate is for long haul but it’s not subject to APD so can be quite reasonable.

I think the problem with theoretical seating is some of the levels of entitlement that Gold Card holders have and I say this as a Gold Card holder myself. It’s not a published or advertised benefit and there are other products and services you can avail yourself if you don’t want to have someone sitting next to you.

I’m of the belief to book and pay for the cabin/seat that you wish to fly in and if you get an empty seat or upgrade then that’s fantastic.

I have no problem in 2 Golds reserving A and C or D and F but I do not think it’s fair to put B or D in the uncomfortable position of having to choose between swapping seats or remaining where they are just because the Golds thought they might have got an empty seat free and wanted to chance it as they would be one of the first ones to get such a benefit.

Old May 7, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by cauchy
Here's a variation - we usually book the two aisles in a middle block of three seats. If someone is assigned the middle, they usually ask to swap, and we usually say sorry (and if necessary, remind them that we paid extra for a ticket that allows seat selection), but they usually don't like it!
I don’t see the issue here, if you are happy to have a stranger between you on a long haul flight who might keep getting up to get things from their bag or go to the toilet then it shouldn’t make any difference to that person in the middle. At the end of the day they should have either checked in earlier or bought a ticket that allowed seat selection if they didn’t want to be sat in the middle.
BlueThroughCrimp and cauchy like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
As someone who chooses preferential seats for any flight I can (usually in an exit row, or at least something front of cabin), the thing I find more annoying is getting DYKWIA-thread worthy frequent flyers (regardless of program, BA or other - often AA) elite sitting next to me who often behave downright shamefully.

Last night (we were in A/B, he was in the aisle on a 319) when we landed by the passenger (gold card tags on his laptop bag) decided to use his seat (and some of mine) as a place to store his copious hand luggage. After he stood up and moved into the aisle to get his things, he dropped his suitcase on me without apologising or looking. Sure, my arm was 'in his seat' but it's not hard to apologise for doing something like that.

This was after being asked by the crew twice not to mount his iPad on the seatback during takeoff and landing, and ignoring the request to pause personal entertainment during the safety briefing. (I don't remember how many times I've seen that flying start video). He didn't put his phone (or iPad) into flight mode, and also made sure that both his elbows were planted on the whole of the armrest and was manspreading into my knee space as well. Overall a really top bloke.

Sure, I also end up with people who look like a deer in the headlights when getting asked to move their bags up above, but personally I'd rather someone who doesn't necessarily know what the rules are, and is receptive to them, than someone who absolutely should, and thinks they know better just because they fly a lot.

Just my two cents...
flygirl68, Pascoe, Knickam and 2 others like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by pythonisman
As someone who chooses preferential seats for any flight I can (usually in an exit row, or at least something front of cabin), the thing I find more annoying is getting DYKWIA-thread worthy frequent flyers (regardless of program, BA or other - often AA) elite sitting next to me who often behave downright shamefully.

Last night (we were in A/B, he was in the aisle on a 319) when we landed by the passenger (gold card tags on his laptop bag) decided to use his seat (and some of mine) as a place to store his copious hand luggage. After he stood up and moved into the aisle to get his things, he dropped his suitcase on me without apologising or looking. Sure, my arm was 'in his seat' but it's not hard to apologise for doing something like that.

This was after being asked by the crew twice not to mount his iPad on the seatback during takeoff and landing, and ignoring the request to pause personal entertainment during the safety briefing. (I don't remember how many times I've seen that flying start video). He didn't put his phone (or iPad) into flight mode, and also made sure that both his elbows were planted on the whole of the armrest and was manspreading into my knee space as well. Overall a really top bloke.

Sure, I also end up with people who look like a deer in the headlights when getting asked to move their bags up above, but personally I'd rather someone who doesn't necessarily know what the rules are, and is receptive to them, than someone who absolutely should, and thinks they know better just because they fly a lot.

Just my two cents...
You are entitled to your 2 cents worth but you are forgetting one very important point... that is that acting like a plonker isn't the reserved right of Gold card holders. I am sure that had you noticed, that just as many non-Gold card holders act that way. In fact, given the fact that there are many more non-Gold card holders in existence the probability of an idiot behaving like that is a non-Gold card holder is higher. But no... you single out Gold card holders as the ones that behave badly. People shouldn't behave that way whether they are a Gold, Silver, Bonze, Blue or non-member. Please don't single out Gold card holders as having to be in any way special or somehow act with a higher moral code. We are all just people when it comes to behaving with respect to others and to even mention any particular sub-class of people is somewhat missing the point IMO.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
An empty seat is an empty seat and as a Gold I have the right to have that empty seat if TS allows it.
You do not have the right to an empty seat next to you in ET, regardless of your status and whether TS allows it.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by clubman
What's wrong with that?
You've quoted me selectively and out of context.

I was pointing out that there are many ways to annoy your fellow passengers apart from halitosis, body odour and getting up to go to the loo repeatedly, and very often the offenders don't even realise they're doing it.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
You do not have the right to an empty seat next to you in ET, regardless of your status and whether TS allows it.
Sorry but if TS gives it then you have the right to take it. If TS or the CC then take it away then you have no right to complain. Perhaps "right" is the wrong word.

If you want to be pedantic about it no one has any right to any seat... or even to fly on the plane. It is all at the bequest of BA and ultimately the captain of the aircraft.

However, I wasn't trying to be pedantic. I was simply saying that if TS gives it then you should take it without any scruples. To that end, if I can use my own seating allocation to maximise the chances I will get an empty seat then I won't feel bad about that. It certainly does not go against BA policy as BA makes it possible for Golds/Silvers to have empty seats on lightly loaded flights.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I often wonder how people like you would deal with someone talking about one of your loved ones like that?

You would hate me.. on a long haul flight i am consistently getting things out of my overhead locker and on shorthaul flights, i go to the toilet 2-3 times even on a 1.5 hour flight probably because i drink too much water and am a nervous flyer.

If you do not like people getting up for any reason, take the window seat. As you have mentioned, you are gold, so you can chose this.

PS. i never get the exit seat because in an emergency i would probably have a panic attack and not be of much use at all.
My comment was slightly tongue in cheek. And my loved ones aren’t weird, and would always OLCI.
Deltus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.