Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The problem with theoretical seating

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
This post was only ever going to go south.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Perhaps the OP's phrasing could be more politically correct, but I think it raises a valid point - particularly for people who end up being slotted into exit rows. I'm almost always in the window or aisle of an exit row, but am always amazed by people who turn up and sit around me merrily putting baggage under the seat in front of them, not putting their seat belt on until told to do so etc. I always think "come on, if you're going to choose an exit row seat you really should know how to behave", but TS probably means that the exit row middles are blocked by GCH/SCH until the last possible moment, so we end up with people having no idea what they're doing (whether it's how to check in or not to store a hiking pole under the seat in front).

That said, I'd rather have an empty middle seat 50% of the time and have to put up with novices the other 50% of the time, than no TS at all...
Old May 5, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
People seem to forget that historically they probably were that inexperienced and nervous flyer...

None of us were born with frequent flyer cards and impeccable preparatory skills.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:07 pm

It is an interesting side effect of Theoretical Seating.

My experience of this is that I find myself with standby passengers taking the seat beside me. These can be staff passengers or people who have been rebooked following a misconnect.

If that person is in a group that has been spread around the cabin, there may be pressure to move to accommodate them.

I love an empty adjacent seat. I’ve never paid for one (not talking about the CE middle) so BA can do what they want with that seat. It’s not mine.
Takiteasy and spaninan like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I’m just waiting for a reply on this thread that mentions public transport and/or private jets...
wrp96 and allturnleft like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Easily solved, look on EF and select a seat that has been blocked out on there but is available for selection to Golds on BA.com, then you’ll be sat next to a frequent traveller who of course won’t have been drinking a diuretic in the lounge beforehand and certainly won’t want to get anything from their bag.

Alternatively, fly F when available or I hear JetSarter are doing a great trade (just for you fruitcage)
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by navylad; May 5, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR and other stuff too tedious to mention
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Fly on your own terms and try not to let the actions of others bother you and you will have a more relaxed experience yourself
+1 for this

B

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
T8191, Anonba and nancypants like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:27 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Perhaps the OP's phrasing could be more politically correct, but I think it raises a valid point - particularly for people who end up being slotted into exit rows. I'm almost always in the window or aisle of an exit row, but am always amazed by people who turn up and sit around me merrily putting baggage under the seat in front of them, not putting their seat belt on until told to do so etc...
This. It amazes me too how many folk in an exit row happily put their stuff on the floor and look amazed and often argue when the CC tell them they will have to put it all in the overhead bins. Logically they probably are the folk who did not OLCI or pre-select a seat and have no idea they are even in an exit row,

A few months ago a lady in the exit row next to me asked to move when the CC did their usual briefing as she had no idea she was in this row and did not want the responsibility in case of an emergency.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by BOH
This. It amazes me too how many folk in an exit row happily put their stuff on the floor and look amazed and often argue when the CC tell them they will have to put it all in the overhead bins. Logically they probably are the folk who did not OLCI or pre-select a seat and have no idea they are even in an exit row,

A few months ago a lady in the exit row next to me asked to move when the CC did their usual briefing as she had no idea she was in this row and did not want the responsibility in case of an emergency.
That's the only problem I got so far. I always pick those when I get the chance and usually (75% of the time) the person in the middle seat will be a person who didn't specifically seek to get an exit row seat - or at least seem to be unfamiliar with it. It's fine though. Doesn't bother me. Sure, I wish I had an empty middle seat but I can't complain about this if I book Economy. Did have to point out bags to the CC discreetly a couple of times, not sure if that makes me the bag police
Old May 6, 2019, 1:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
Did have to point out bags to the CC discreetly a couple of times, not sure if that makes me the bag police
No it doesn't make you bag police

When I see the overhead bins filling up fast I have in the past pointed out to fellow pax in the exit row that their stuff will have to go up so might be a good idea to do it now whilst there is still some room above them. The usual effect is they try and push it even more under the seat in front to hide it from the CC so I don't bother anymore
Old May 6, 2019, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
It is an interesting side effect of Theoretical Seating.

My experience of this is that I find myself with standby passengers taking the seat beside me. These can be staff passengers or people who have been rebooked following a misconnect.

If that person is in a group that has been spread around the cabin, there may be pressure to move to accommodate them.

I love an empty adjacent seat. I’ve never paid for one (not talking about the CE middle) so BA can do what they want with that seat. It’s not mine.
quite right. Like upgrades empty seats are a nice surprise not a right. Unless you buy the seat next to you too, BA can do what it wants with it!
BOH likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I’m just waiting for a reply on this thread that mentions public transport and/or private jets...
Good point! If you are travelling on public transport then you have a good chance of being seated next to a nice, normal human. My experience of PJs is that most occupants act like entitled twats.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
So I love when TS gives me a free seat and yes I’ve noticed some of those who do get put next to me are clearly not regular flyers (bags in the exit row the usual sign) but.....

I wasn’t aware I am breaking some Golden rule not to pee on a plane? I am alone in preferring to pee while I don’t have anything else to do rather than in my lounge time or delaying my arrival home by doing it at my arrival airport? Hadn’t realised my toilet habits were so weird...
Mordac likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
I would say that seasoned FF’s are less likely to go to the loo on a flight than non-FF’s. Do you really need to go on a one hour hop?

Just as once a year flyers are more likely to take ages at security (faffing around, not being ‘ready to go’), more likely to have loads of luggage - they are also more likely to exhibit less appealing behaviour on board (loud headphones, getting up and down, bringing smelly food on from the airport, have had a skinful in the bar).

It’s not that Golds and FF’s never do this. They’re just far less likely to. And they’re less likely to be weirdos.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Vgravity
I would say that seasoned FF’s are less likely to go to the loo on a flight than non-FF’s. Do you really need to go on a one hour hop?
Based on what I read here, I'd say that many FFers are seasoned drinkers, many of whom will have filled up in the lounge and topped up on board. That would put them at the top of the toilet users, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.