US Destination next Bank Holiday Weekend?

Old May 4, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
US Destination next Bank Holiday Weekend?

I’m not sure if this is the best place to post this so sorry if it isn’t.

Fully aware that this bank holiday weekend is a huge boring disappointment I want to go somewhere in the US next bank holiday weekend.

However I am looking at having to fly out on my own on Saturday and back on Monday (arriving Tuesday morning is fine). I am unfortunately working near Leeds until 4pm on Friday so that ruins any chance of any Friday night flights.

Any suggestions of somewhere to go?
Maybe with Avios (whatever is cheaper) probably economy as I only have 40k Avios. I am gold now so have some extra availability I believe.

As it looks like only 2 nights I don’t want it to be expensive.
Old May 4, 19, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO NYC would be the obvious choice because with so many flights, you should be able to find something that goes as early as you wish on Saturday (in order to be able have time to do something upon arrival) and also to leave at a time on Monday that gets you home at late as possible for you.

Otherwsie east coast destinations served by nonstops would be good, perhaps looking for short flight durations too.
Old May 4, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Normally I would not suugest using Avios for an Economy ticket as it can be poor value but for the next bank holiday weekends using avios may be a good idea

How about wahingtodn DC ( the smithsonian museums and the air and space museum by Dulles airport) - Economy was pricing at c GBP 1200 rtn but there is avios for 40000 miles plus 373 gBP approx

Also NYC ( cash fares are cheaper) or Boston.

Toronto is also a nice short break destination.

Regards

TBS
Old May 4, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - problem I see with New York is that there is no Avios availability in the morning so I’d arrive Saturday night late. And the cash prices on bank holiday weekend are about 8 times more for a morning flight.

Could I use Gold to get extra availability in the morning? But I don’t have enough Avios for that.
Old May 4, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Anywhere on the east coast would be fun for a quick getaway.

Philly: awesome history, very walkable
DC: fun younger vibe, Smithsonian museums, Alexandria, VA is a fun spot to go for a night
Boston: same as Philly but colder
Old May 4, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
The other issue with New York is that hotel prices can be ferocious. BA holidays can help a bit with that (and I hear that hostels are often surprisingly good).

Personally with limited time I'd look shorter haul, there are some interesting places, North Africa for example, Malta, Eastern Europe, the Baltics, and they're well within range without spending half your holiday in the air. I'd say Beirut except your dates don't work for that unfortunately.

There are amazing deals to the US if you bide your time. I'm going in early June on the back of the £100 for 5000 avios offer, and with that and the price promise and the net avios, the fare works out at about £85, with two nights in the Conrad on Hilton points. If you do it on a whim you're not likely to hit the confluences you need to get this sort of price level.
Old May 4, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Silver
I appreciate you say US, but have you thought of Istanbul? The OH and I absolutely loved it there. Plenty to do and see for a long weekend and with the currency situation prices are very favourable. Hotel price to quality is also amazing
Old May 4, 19, 2:51 pm

How about Pittsburgh if available? Iím here right now and thereís plenty to do for a short weekend break and itís surprisingly picturesque.
Old May 4, 19, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Pittsburgh has everything central and walkable. It's more of a walking city than most in the USA. Plus the amazing Andy Warhol museum (did you know he was a Carpathian Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic? Nothing WASP about him, but he was born and grew up in Pittsburgh).

Charleston is the other new route, and that's a fantastic new location, again everywhere is walkable, and it's a bit odd finding the Georgian bits of Chichester stuck out in the Colonies. Only twice a week though, the timings probably don't work.
mradey and gustavmahler like this.
Old May 4, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Don’t forget that the late Bank Holiday weekend in the UK is also Memorial Day weekend in the USA with lots of American flocking to their hot spots for a long weekend too so this might impact availability and prices of US lodgings.

Why not train it down down to London and head to Malta, Marrakesh, Istanbul on Saturday morning get 3 days, 2 nights close by with no jet lag.?
Old May 4, 19, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Nashville!
Old May 4, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
Donít forget that the late Bank Holiday weekend in the UK is also Memorial Day weekend in the USA with lots of American flocking to their hot spots for a long weekend too so this might impact availability and prices of US lodgings.

Why not train it down down to London and head to Malta, Marrakesh, Istanbul on Saturday morning get 3 days, 2 nights close by with no jet lag.?
Yup. Thought I would try something different this Memorial Day weekend, rather than going to the Caribbean, or Mexico as we typically would for the week and do a long weekend in Hong Kong out of LAX instead figuring that business travel would be somewhat light as folks would prefer to be on vacation vs. traveling for work. Still sweating as to whether the miles + copays upgrades will clear. Still, at least I have PE to fall back on.
Old May 5, 19, 1:34 am

Have you thought of flying out of Leeds Airport, including on Friday night? There's a 17:50 flight that gets to LHR at 19:00. Unfortunately, it gets in too late to connect to many North America services, but you can make the late Boston, a handful of great Euro destinations, and some long-hauls east and south as well. So worth thinking about if you're considering Boston or Europe. BA may price more competitive fares from LBA than ex-LHR, given they'll be competing with other one-stop options.

Tel Aviv is a great weekend (but accommodation can be expensive), Istanbul will also be lovely in a few weeks time. The timings aren't great for a non-stop (non-BA) from London, but an outstanding weekend away is Tbilisi, Georgia - easily a top five ever for me - so consider it for another time (how I wish BA would resume service).
Old May 5, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for some great suggestions. Iím still looking to see what works best.

Chicago time wise seems to work well there is a 7.25am AA flight arriving at 10:30am the same day on Saturday and flying back 5pm Monday arriving 9am Tuesday here.

Is Chicago a interesting place to visit?
How does AA economy compare to BA?
If I got to the airport and wanted to upgrade if there is availability is that possible with cash?
origin likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Spinstorm View Post
Thanks for some great suggestions. I’m still looking to see what works best.

Chicago time wise seems to work well there is a 7.25am AA flight arriving at 10:30am the same day on Saturday and flying back 5pm Monday arriving 9am Tuesday here.

Is Chicago a interesting place to visit?
How does AA economy compare to BA?
If I got to the airport and wanted to upgrade if there is availability is that possible with cash?

Chicago has some great museums, a nice beach and various boat tours including one showing all the architecture. Downtown is walkable and there is also a metro rail.

Search this Thread