Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running in T5

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stuvoi
I have done loops around T5B & T5C before.
I usually start off at T5A, take the tunnels to T5B, walk up the escalators, round the gates, back down to the tunnels, over to T5C, round the gates, back down to the tunnels, return to T5A and then go to a lounge. Makes me feel slightly less guilty about all the champagne.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
The tunnels are pretty empty, and what's better for running ... they're cool (not the "modern", warped meaning of that word, although some may say that as well, but they are not hot )
Old May 5, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishscrooge
I've often wondered why more airports don't have gyms. Not huge ones, just small ones that charge by the hour at major hubs like T5. Surely they'd make more than some of the shops that are there.
Then all the people, that need to inform the world of their business, by using their phones in an antisocial way. Could hide in the gym and pretend they are a keep fit fanatic as well.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by lizban
100% - if I don’t run I go mad.
+1 for this. I share the addiction, but I think reps in the tunnel would be very tough on the brain.

Please write up how it goes!
Old May 5, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strava or it didn't happen
Old May 6, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by our_kid
+1 on gyms

OP - you on Strava? If so create some segments for the tunnels
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Strava or it didn't happen
You're not going to be able to see GPS satellites from the tunnels!

Now you might try something with Gatwick's Bluetooth beacon network, but even so, Strava doesn't support indoor positioning yet.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
This guy managed with Strava - "I struggled to get a GPS signal initially but the Strava app on my iPhone seemed to cope with a combination of GPS, cellular, and Wifi positioning."

Source: https://www.elvet-striders.uk/2017/0...rt-run-lhr-t5/
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
This guy managed with Strava - "I struggled to get a GPS signal initially but the Strava app on my iPhone seemed to cope with a combination of GPS, cellular, and Wifi positioning."

Source: https://www.elvet-striders.uk/2017/0...rt-run-lhr-t5/
Having never been in the tunnels, can you run unobstructed, or are there doors you need to open / automatic doors that might be too slow to open looking at the OP's speed?
Old May 7, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
If you really want exercise I suggest you play “Find the BA Lounge at Tegel”. It took me 25 minutes to do so yesterday walking round the doughnut twice and up every escalator I could find trying to get to the second floor. Eventually found a small plaque on the wall pointing to a lift that wasn’t working.

I earned that G&T...!
FoxtrotOscar and george77300 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by mikebg
The tunnels are pretty empty, and what's better for running ... they're cool (not the "modern", warped meaning of that word, although some may say that as well, but they are not hot )
Not sure at all about running the tunnels, but have done a few speedy crossings aboard my champagne scooter.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
After finding the AirportSmokers website, I'm not suprised to see there is a website for Airport Runners

Originally Posted by CoweyB
If you really want exercise I suggest you play “Find the BA Lounge at Tegel”. It took me 25 minutes to do so yesterday walking round the doughnut twice and up every escalator I could find trying to get to the second floor. Eventually found a small plaque on the wall pointing to a lift that wasn’t working.

I earned that G&T...!
I had the same problem at AMS until the check-in agent told me to go through security at Departures 2 instead of 3, which lands you almost straight outside the lounge
HIDDY, CoweyB and lloydje33 like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Having never been in the tunnels, can you run unobstructed, or are there doors you need to open / automatic doors that might be too slow to open looking at the OP's speed?
Nope completely unobstructed and generally not that busy so it's not like you'd have to impolitely run through crowds.

Also there's a moving walkway that most pedestrians would use, so if you're in the 'normal' section it'd only be buggies that you're looking out for anyway!
Old May 7, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I always walk them and have wondered about running them but as it is my home airport I am rarely there long enough to make it worthwhile. An interesting concept for other locations however, I feel a Flying Runners thread could be a great place to get hints of runs in and around airports and airport hotels.
LSunbury likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Had a long layover at Heathrow today so went out for a run, below is the route.
1 loop around the airport is roughly 15.5km, I started and finished at the Holiday Inn M4 Jct.4.

dsf, Sam Bee, yellow_peril and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Mike Gold; Jul 22, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Gold
Had a long layover at Heathrow today so went out for a run, below is the route.
1 loop around the airport is roughly 15.5km, I started and finished at the Holiday Inn M4 Jct.4.
As a lapsed runner, that actually seems much more appealing to me than maybe 12 trips up and down the tunnels (and infinitely more appealing than running around the terminal itself).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.