Booted from allocated seat at OLCI

Old May 4, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I also enjoy WTP, especially front row. I would not pay 400 usd a leg extra, but for 200 to 300 yes, especially for the extra TPs.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:09 am

Out of curiosity would BA refund the seat selection fee in this case where they were unable to provide the seat allocation you paid for? How would that work?

-James
Old May 5, 2019, 5:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity would BA refund the seat selection fee in this case where they were unable to provide the seat allocation you paid for? How would that work?

-James
Yes, you would get a refund, not least because you could argue you paid for a window seat and didn't get it. In this scenario I doubt BA would quibble, they would just refund.
george77300 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:53 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It’s a credit to you that you remained pragmatic, enjoyed the flight and didn’t let the seat change affect you too much.

It’s certainly worth chasing up regarding the reason for the move. Of course there is the disclaimer from BA that seat changes may be required for operational reasons. Hence whilst they are not obliged to, in the interests of good customer relations and retaining your business, it would make sense for BA to investigate without fobbing you off and give you an explanation for the seat change.

When coming back from Malta recently, my family and I were simply booted from our preassigned seats in CE around 2 days before the flight (when I happened to go into the MMB to request child meals for our boys, I noticed ‘seat choice available’ rather than our presssigned seats in row 3). I was able to allocate row 4, which was fine. On board, row 3 had single passengers. There was no outwardly obvious reason for the move. I rung up customer relations who apologised and awarded 8000 Avios. So whilst I’ll never know why we were booted, the goodwill gesture of Avios and acceptance by BA that the situation should not have occurred was appreciated.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jed
It’s a credit to you that you remained pragmatic, enjoyed the flight and didn’t let the seat change affect you too much.

It’s certainly worth chasing up regarding the reason for the move. Of course there is the disclaimer from BA that seat changes may be required for operational reasons. Hence whilst they are not obliged to, in the interests of good customer relations and retaining your business, it would make sense for BA to investigate without fobbing you off and give you an explanation for the seat change.

When coming back from Malta recently, my family and I were simply booted from our preassigned seats in CE around 2 days before the flight (when I happened to go into the MMB to request child meals for our boys, I noticed ‘seat choice available’ rather than our presssigned seats in row 3). I was able to allocate row 4, which was fine. On board, row 3 had single passengers. There was no outwardly obvious reason for the move. I rung up customer relations who apologised and awarded 8000 Avios. So whilst I’ll never know why we were booted, the goodwill gesture of Avios and acceptance by BA that the situation should not have occurred was appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ll make sure to send a (polite) complaint when I’m back. If anything, I’d just like to know the reason why this happened!

Fingers crossed this won’t happen again on the return...
Old May 6, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Don’t print or download your BPs and check the app from time to time. Best bet is probably to ask at the airport. You may well get lucky.
Failing that you can get a refund for the seat selection fees. [edit]

Whilst it is probably little consolation, seat moves like this are rare and there probably is a genuine operational reason.
what does printing or downloading the BPs do?
Old May 6, 2019, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think it's unrealistic to expect BA to do some root cause analysis on why someone was moved, and as far as I know they don't do it anyway. Your best chance of finding out is when you have an airport agent in front of you talking to FMU. So I would take the equipment change / SIN-SYD overlay suggestions at face value.

Originally Posted by footballfanatic

what does printing or downloading the BPs do?
It prevents you moving to other seats. So if you hold back on that (and emailing, faxing etc) then you can watch as other seats become available and move accordingly. If you like the seats you have got then naturally you should go ahead and get the boarding passes.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it's unrealistic to expect BA to do some root cause analysis on why someone was moved, and as far as I know they don't do it anyway. Your best chance of finding out is when you have an airport agent in front of you talking to FMU. So I would take the equipment change / SIN-SYD overlay suggestions at face value.
True, but It’s a real frustration when ‘operational reasons’ are used but no explanation given. Particularly in cases like this where there wasn’t an aircraft change and no pax required those seats. Hopefully the OP will get some form of gesture given this seems to be the system getting it wrong.
SWLonFlyer likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It prevents you moving to other seats. So if you hold back on that (and emailing, faxing etc) then you can watch as other seats become available and move accordingly. If you like the seats you have got then naturally you should go ahead and get the boarding passes.
On a recent flight I got the exit row seat I wanted (16F) from booking until I printed the boarding pass.
After that, they swapped from an A320neo to a A321 where I wouldn't even have had a window in that seat.
Finally I was able to be moved to 23E at the airport, still no window but way more legroom and 23D even stayed free.

So, maybe don't even print when you checked in on the seat you are happy with?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.