Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Ok. Rules that one out then. Thanks for clearing that up
Old May 3, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Am I dreaming or have there not been previous reports on here of TS not liking pax in the same booking selecting seats across the aisle or leaving empty seats between them? Could that also be the case here?
WTP is 2 4 2 Config making window and aisle seat adjacent 😊
Old May 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

The same thing happened to me on Wednesday with the BA16, as I was seat shifted from 1A to 3K at OLCI. When I got to the check in desks at SYD there were lots of angry people and after chatting with the BA station manager she said there is currently a technical issue affecting the BA15/16 services. Something seems to be getting confused in the system with the three different sectors that make up each service (SYD-SIN, SIN-LHR and SYD-LHR) and this is causing issues when the flight goes to OLCI. They were able to move me back to my original seat and seemed to be reprinting a lot of boarding passes at the gate.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by BAEC

WTP is 2 4 2 Config making window and aisle seat adjacent 😊
My bad. I read the OP as having 2 aisle seats either side of the aisle. Deffo no logic for the change here. Am going back to my g&t and hope the OP is too!
BAEC likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:49 am

Weirdly a colleague had the same issue with a SIN-SYD flight on Qantas this week and the airport said the same thing! Not sure if they are using the same system or just co incidence.

Not helped by a cancellation of the later flight so a totally full flight - they couldn't do anything so she was stuck in her middle seat having paid for a window
Old May 4, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk SWLonFlyer!

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I hope it gets sorted today / tonight it's a long flight to be moved on - also all 77W aircraft are identical so will not be an aircraft swap.
Quickie question - could it be a swap between 777-200ER and 777-300ER? Which I believe have different WTP cabins? (We kept getting changes between -200 and -300 on our flight back from YYZ so our seats kept getting moved and split up much like you. Although we were a party of 6!)
Old May 4, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I can’t think of a time when this route has operated on any other 777 variation, it is always 77W, and it leaves LHR for several days covering the four sectors, BA don’t tend to mess with this one! It is indeed in the air and is G-STBA (first delivered 77W) wonder who was in OPs seat!?
Old May 4, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I can’t think of a time when this route has operated on any other 777 variation, it is always 77W, and it leaves LHR for several days covering the four sectors, BA don’t tend to mess with this one! It is indeed in the air and is G-STBA (first delivered 77W) wonder who was in OPs seat!?
Piers Morgan.

It always Piers Morgan.
dddc, tooblue, pythonisman and 5 others like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry all for delayed response - new to FT so reached my daily post limit!

No luck in the end. The agent at the the lounge tried FMU again and apparently the flight was full. Agent at the gate didn’t even try for the same reason.

When I got onboard the 2 pax in our original seats didn’t even know each other, so really don’t understand the seat change. FMU claims equipment change, but it was certainly a 777-300 (I noticed 9 across in WT - are they all like that?)

Really quite frustrating and disappointing experience - but presume absolutely no point in complaining?

On a positive note:
- We had a very comfortable flight. Think WTP is well worth it over WT. It’s not luxurious by any means, but comfortable enough for 13 hrs for leisure
- Fantastic crew. Little things make a difference - I got a choice of red wines. Didn’t know that was a thing below CW...
- Middle seats in new WTP aren’t *that* bad given you have the solid barriers between seats. Hard for adjacent passengers to invade your personal space

Thanks again for the tips - and fingers crossed for the way back!! (A380 )
Old May 4, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for come no back to us !

Hang around these parts and you’ll only be flying Club World in the future.... for WTP prices or less
Old May 4, 2019, 11:59 am

Glad you had an enjoyable flight in the end, even if it wasn't in your original seats ^

However, it would be so so good to have an answer to what actually happened here. We are left with an unsolved mystery - and this happens again and again with seating, when no one, except BA, really knows why the seats were changed, and by whom.
strickerj and spaninan like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SWLonFlyer
On a positive note:
- We had a very comfortable flight. Think WTP is well worth it over WT. It’s not luxurious by any means, but comfortable enough for 13 hrs for leisure
- Fantastic crew. Little things make a difference - I got a choice of red wines. Didn’t know that was a thing below CW...
- Middle seats in new WTP aren’t *that* bad given you have the solid barriers between seats. Hard for adjacent passengers to invade your personal space

Thanks again for the tips - and fingers crossed for the way back!! (A380 )
My wife and I have enjoyed WTP on the A380 on two occasions flying LAX-LHR and agree that it is well worth it over WT. The BA CW hard product doesn't impress us since we experienced J on an AA 77W flying LAX-SYD a few years ago. We don't feel that CW is worth the much higher expense.
tooblue likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My hunch is that a change in the actual plane scheduled for the flight somehow corrupts the seat map.
flygirl68 and tooblue like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My hunch is that a change in the actual plane scheduled for the flight somehow corrupts the seat map.
+1.

rb211.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SWLonFlyer
On a positive note:

I agree with your WT+ assessment. In 2009 I booked WT+ on 4 consecutive sectors between DXB and YYZ. There was a "shunt" return trip in Economy (LHR-WAW), but things got interesting when leaving WAW for LHR. After a delay due to no passenger on board (at WAW) for baggage they checked in, I missed the connection to YYZ at LHR, and then stayed overnight in LHR at BA's dime. Next day on boarding LHR-YYZ, I was upgraded to CW on that flight THEN on my next 2 sectors (YYZ-LHR-DXB) as well. BA got my "flying soul" then and I have not looked back. I fly WT+ because of more comfort. If I can do it, I fly CW.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.