Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booted from allocated seat at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Booted from allocated seat at OLCI

Apologies - first post but long time lurker. Hope to now contribute a bit, particularly given how valuable this forum has been to me in the past!

Rather miffed to do OLCI for BA15 last night and find that we (2 pax) have been moved from a window + aisle seat (adjacent) in WTP to an aisle + middle. Rather disappointed as we specifically paid for WTP given the extra comfort and privacy of the 2 side seats. As a SCH didn’t really expect to be given one of the worst seats in the cabin.

Any tips on how I could get this changed, or do I just need to suck it up? Called service centre but they said all other seats are full

Thanks in advance for any insight!!
Old May 3, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask again at checkin, and again at Guest Services in the lounge. If checkin don’t/won’t call the FMU (flight management unit) see if guest services will and they may be able to help. There can be quite a few changes to seating in the closing phases and you might get lucky.
tmac100 and SWLonFlyer like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Don’t print or download your BPs and check the app from time to time. Best bet is probably to ask at the airport. You may well get lucky.
Failing that you can get a refund for the seat selection fees. [edit]

Whilst it is probably little consolation, seat moves like this are rare and there probably is a genuine operational reason.
SWLonFlyer likes this.

Last edited by fruitcage; May 3, 2019 at 3:14 am
Old May 3, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk SWLonFlyer

I hope it gets sorted today / tonight it's a long flight to be moved on - also all 77W aircraft are identical so will not be an aircraft swap. I can only imagine it has been enforced due to family seating or a passenger with a disability resulting in some seat shuffling for others. Perhaps update us with the outcome; you'll see what has happened when you board.

And maybe you'll get a bump into Club World - have everything crossed !

F1 A0 J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W3 E0 T0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Flight, as always, looks busy
SWLonFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, hugely appreciate all the tips - will follow through and keep you posted!! Agree a very long flight for a middle seat...(OH will get the aisle!)

Your suggestions certainly beat the call centre: ‘ask CC or passengers to swap when you are onboard’!

The cynical one in me wonders whether SCH/BCH are first to get booted as there are no reservation fees to refund! I doubt it though...

Thanks again!
Old May 3, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Failing that you can get a refund for the seat selection fees.
SCH so wouldn't have paid seat selection fees. I had to read that bit twice too, but the extra payment was for WTP over WT
fruitcage likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
SWLonFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum SWLonFlyer. It's good to see you here and however this works out on seating, I hope you have a good flight.

Looking at the seat maps it seems this service to SIN tonight is full in WTP (1 unclaimed seat), nearly full in CW and First. As Swanhunter says, the only options for you now are at the airport, or on board, there won't be anything that the contact centre can do. You can keep monitoring the seats, I notice the vacant seat shown above as 22F was 24J an hour ago, so things are moving around. Some people may have to go into CW so that may give opportunities....
SWLonFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - very low hopes but will keep you posted
argonath likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Quick update. Lovely lady at check-in gave FMU a very stern talking to on the phone. Apparently ‘nothing they could do but will continue to try’. I’ll ask in the lounge again 90 mins before departure.

Interestingly FMU blamed an aircraft change - but I don’t think that can be true as people referred to earlier...
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There's a good chance that you'll find two off-duty BA crew in your seats. Please let us know.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SWLonFlyer
Interestingly FMU blamed an aircraft change - but I don’t think that can be true as people referred to earlier...
It does not sound very likely since I can only recall a handful of cases when they have done a full equipment change on BA15, it really has to be a 777-300 and I think even swapping to 747s could cause a crew issue. However it is possible that the there were defective seats and it was decided to move you first, then either they fixed the seats or the swapped to another 77W, given the very full flight.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
A quick question..I may be way off here as not flown BA777, but you didn't select a bassinet seat? Or do they not exist in WTP due to exit row?
Old May 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Am I dreaming or have there not been previous reports on here of TS not liking pax in the same booking selecting seats across the aisle or leaving empty seats between them? Could that also be the case here?
Old May 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
A quick question..I may be way off here as not flown BA777, but you didn't select a bassinet seat? Or do they not exist in WTP due to exit row?
On 77W the bassinet is 21E and F, the only proximate bulkhead in WTP.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.