Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do they set the CE curtain?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
............................ Is this some sort of the further race to the bottom by BA as it becomes one less thing on the aircraft to maintain and erodes further the difference between CE and ET? The curtain at least provided a small amout of an exclusive feeling and also did prevent some of the loo use up front by all.
Personally I can live without the curtain.

For me, the true feeling of exclusivity comes from those white headrest covers seen in the photo. They add so much to the overall comfort & glamour of CE travel.

mikeyfly and RNdouble like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load

Personally I can live without the curtain.

For me, the true feeling of exclusivity comes from those white headrest covers seen in the photo. They add so much to the overall comfort & glamour of CE travel.

They're called antimacassars, in what is a lovely linguistic 'fossil.' They originated at a time when men applied macassar oil to their hair, and were created to prevent sofas and chairs from being stained by it. The use of macassar oil is long gone, but the word remains.

They are also used in former Southern Region suburban trains to distinguish first class from the otherwise exactly identical standard.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Thanks @ Mordac. We learn something every day ^
Old May 4, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I thought all Neos were curtain less? All the Neo flights I've been on have had no curtain. It does make it feel less exclusive and I don't understand the rationale.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I thought all Neos were curtain less? All the Neo flights I've been on have had no curtain. It does make it feel less exclusive and I don't understand the rationale.
are they capable of being fitted with one? Only been one the NEO and tbh didn’t notice.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mangoMan
When do they decide where to position the curtain between CE and ET?
as an example, on tbe ba1487 from gla to lhr today at t-72 the curtaincuas behind row 7

At t-23 when i checked in it was behind row 10

When i boarded the flight i noticed the curtain was behind row 7 or 8.

No ideawhen it was finalised
Old May 5, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Well, row 1 opened to me today (T-72) so I snagged a window seat there. No worries about the curtain now
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: QF WP, VA
Piggyback off this thread. I've booked return flights to GOT on ET in June. How many rows behind the curtain should I consider safe that I won't get bumped in the event the curtain gets moved back?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Texter
Piggyback off this thread. I've booked return flights to GOT on ET in June. How many rows behind the curtain should I consider safe that I won't get bumped in the event the curtain gets moved back?
It depends on the aircraft type, but row 15 would be safe.
Texter likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:47 am

Then you end up with the awful Recaro seats
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Better a curtain than none at all....

What plane type is that? I've never seen that type of seating before; it doesn't look like either the older Pinnacle or the new Recaro - and my understanding was even when installing the latter the first 12 rows would retain the Pinnacle seats.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
What plane type is that? I've never seen that type of seating before; it doesn't look like either the older Pinnacle or the new Recaro - and my understanding was even when installing the latter the first 12 rows would retain the Pinnacle seats.
The infamous ex-bmi fleet, unrefurbished since the initial injection of blue on them joining the BA fleet in 2012.
AviationMoose likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA
Originally Posted by chazman189
Then you end up with the awful Recaro seats
What!? So not all ET seats are alike?

I'm travelling on an A319 if that makes any difference....
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:33 am

Recaro seats from Row 13 and aft on most aircraft
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

For A319 then you don't get a choice, the aircraft is either all Pinnacle or all Recaro. On A320s and A321s it's different. Outside of FT, very few people would notice the difference, and I'm not convinced that many people inside FT know about it either. On a short flight it may not be a material factor. If your aircraft plan has a row 25 with just two seats in it, the so-called rendition row without a real window but with a bit of space in what would be 25A, then they are all Pinnacle. However it's highly unlikely this will be fixed now, it's not until 3 days to departure that the flight plan gets moved to a real aircraft configuration. At this stage it's all a bit hypothetical. Indeed there is a greater than 50% chance you will end up on a A320 anyway. Aerolopa has more details.

In the event you remain A319, your first "safe" ET seat which will always be behind the curtain is row 11. Under current staffing protocols it's not unusual for CE to be capped at just 4 rows or so.
Genius1 and Texter like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.