Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat assignment for injured passengers - won’t clear seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment for injured passengers - won’t clear seats?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is a picture of the stairs up to the upper deck in this thread.

Mobility Issues Upper Deck BA 747

Will your companion be able to manage the stairs ?

There is also a comment in that thread that BA won't allow someone who needs airport assistance to sit in the upper deck. I appreciate this thread is from 2013 so it may not be the current policy but wanted to flag it up.
This is due to the way you board a 747 and have to walk up steps to get to the upperdeck once on the plane. In comparison on the A380 the air bridge is direct to upperdeck.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Thanks all for the insight.

Just to give more background, we are booked on separate PNRs. As the injured passenger was waiting for “fit to fly” the new ticket was booked within the 72 hour period.

It seems that the agent wasn’t able to see that he was gold, and couldn’t assign that A380 upper deck seat. But it could be assigned online.

For my own seat assignment, we want to sit together so that I can assist. Again, initially I couldn’t see a big selection of seats however after the gold status was recognised by the system (took a few hours) then a wider range of seats became available. My ticket was also only issued within 24 hours of departure. So TS was still operating during the online check in period.

Anyway in in the end we have gotten seats which are acceptable (not upper deck) but interesting to see the TS/blocks in action.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxc
Anyway in in the end we have gotten seats which are acceptable (not upper deck) but interesting to see the TS/blocks in action.
OK, so you are within 24 hours of departure which makes a difference (see above especially anonba) in which case if there are any decent pairs of UD seats showing on EF as blocked you could try to get them at the airport. If there is a return flight involved, you may want to check here first before calling in, to prevent getting trapped via the timings.

But you can just imagine the problems here is people already UD found themselves booted downstairs due to late booking passengers, albeit those with special needs. I have been moved only twice in umpteen years for this, once because of a guide dog (they must go along the bulkhead) and the other time for someone with severe fear of flying who had been split from his wife (and it was the right thing to do).
Old May 3, 2019, 12:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Thanks - we have got acceptable seats now where I am the one who will be stepping over his legs. Doesn’t look to be any better seats on the upper deck that haven’t been allocated (ie even the remaining blocked seats won’t work for us).

One point i also also noticed was that the injured passenger couldn’t change his seat allocation online. Not sure if that’s because he’s noted as requiring assistance. The gold line was able to offload him and assign the seat we wanted.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Given the reference to larger washrooms I took it that OP is on a 380 so no stairs involved.
... assuming they are boarding AND disembarking through one of the gates which connects to the upper deck, which is far from guaranteed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abligh
... assuming they are boarding AND disembarking through one of the gates which connects to the upper deck, which is far from guaranteed.
I thought it was guaranteed? There are only certain A380 gates on T5C (C55, C56, C57, C61, C62, C63, C64, and C65) and they all have three jetbridges. There are a few T5B gates also usuable for the A380 but they don't seem to be used often.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought it was guaranteed? There are only certain A380 gates on T5C (C55, C56, C57, C61, C62, C63, C64, and C65) and they all have three jetbridges. There are a few T5B gates also usuable for the A380 but they don't seem to be used often.
That assumes your flight is LHR to LHR
Old May 3, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
That assumes your flight is LHR to LHR
Good point. Which gates do the A380s use elsewhere without 3 jetbridges? In my experience it seems pretty standard everywhere.

I haven't experienced any that don't elsewhere (apart from one occasion where one of the three was broken in HKG) but then I haven't been everywhere on the A380 network yet.

Last edited by KARFA; May 3, 2019 at 3:47 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But you can just imagine the problems here is people already UD found themselves booted downstairs due to late booking passengers, albeit those with special needs.
Easily fixed. If upper deck seats might be needed to accommodate those with special needs, well, then BA could just block a pair of them until the gate. Plus, having that pair of seats in hand (should there be no special needs passengers) can help to solve other seating problems.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Good point. Which gates do the A380s use elsewhere without 3 jetbridges? In my experience it seems pretty standard everywhere.

I haven't experienced any that don't elsewhere (apart from one occasion where one of the three was broken in HKG) but then I haven't been everywhere on the A380 network yet.
Off the top of my head E12 at BOS has 2 jetbridges (although one's connected to the UD while the other to the LD, so no issue), and if we're going outside OW then A7 and B29 at JFK T4 (used by the SQ/OZ/EY A380s) are also 2 jetbridge gates
KARFA and nancypants like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:11 pm

And of course jet-bridges can also go tech at any point.
I was on a QR A380 flight into LHR last year where the upper deck jet-bridge at our A380 friendly gate was unserviceable. They disembarked the F/J cabins which are both located on the upper deck via the front stairs and out of 1L while Economy which takes up the entire lower deck and the rear cabin of the upper deck were held back until all premium passengers had disembarked.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I can't remember where it was, but I disembarked from a BA A380 flight via the internal stairs because the upper deck aerobridge wasn't working or some other issues, so it can happen.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I can't remember where it was, but I disembarked from a BA A380 flight via the internal stairs because the upper deck aerobridge wasn't working or some other issues, so it can happen.
perhaps I should have clarified, I meant as a norm rather than a result of more irregular issues.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:22 pm

perhaps I should have clarified, I meant as a norm rather than a result of more irregular issues.
You're correct. The A380 onboard staircases are not for passenger useunless otherwise directed.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:29 pm

Isn't there one gate at T5A that can accommodate an A380? I seem to be quite sure I have boarded an A380 from T5A, but only once, and IIRC it was A18. Or am I making this up?

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.