What is wrong with people?

Old May 2, 2019, 10:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
- Raymond Queneau put this wonderfully in "Zazie dans le Metro" as something like "les hommes d'affaires, satchel en main, avec leur air de savoir voyager mieux que tout le monde".

Now that novel and film I did not expect to read about here. The eponymous heroine had lively language to put it mildly, and was foul mouthed to put it less charitably.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
IMHO the issue is that some children are spoiled rotten and never learn manners or consequences.

These children grow up to be adults like the ones you have described.
I hear you...What I worry about is what kind of offspring do they bring forward who will be electing governments in the future ?
Old May 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Queneau's "Exercises de Style" is more than apt for this thread too.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikem004
Why is BA boarding always such a mess?
Compare with the JAL method, of holding up coloured placards. Boarding is done smoothly completed without much fuss, the aircraft door is closed promptly and you are off!
Whats interesting is that this doesnt seem to be unique to JAL, rather an Asian process done at many airports in the region. Ive seen this strategy done on my Delta flights at both NRT & PVG, and as you mentioned - boarding is smooth.

Why doesnt DL do this at all of their stations?
Old May 2, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Definitely not leisure travellers. The worst offenders are usually the middle manager business traveller types - Raymond Queneau put this wonderfully in "Zazie dans le Metro" as something like "les hommes d'affaires, satchel en main, avec leur air de savoir voyager mieux que tout le monde". A little bit of status and you're into the worst sorts of self centred arrogance.
Agree with this. Many of these middle managers essentially become spoilt brats/DYKWIAs through regularly being on the receiving end of brown nosing from many of their subordinates. You'll often find that their bosses i.e. top level management are much more grounded and lower maintenance (or they at least have the political/media skills to hide how any frustration .
HMPS and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; May 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Old May 2, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Why can't the country that taught the world to line up (er, queue) get its own flagship airline to figure out how to do the same?
HMPS, redrose59, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To paraphrase the brilliant Raymond Chandler:
[In an airport, you] "...get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality"
-The Long Goodbye
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by V10
Air travel brings out the worst in people.
Being alive brings out the worst in people.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Could it be that this happens on every flight ever, but you only noticed it because you were on holiday? Dont know about you, but on a work trip Im in a totally different frame of mind than on a leisure trip!
Old May 2, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As others have said some passengers are just pillocks, paid hard enough attention and you'll see some on most flights.

Originally Posted by mikem004
Compare with the JAL method, of holding up coloured placards. Boarding is done smoothly completed without much fuss, the aircraft door is closed promptly and you are off!
Or my favourite,...flying Garuda ex-DPS where the gate agent held a "Business Class" placard and simultaneously rang a handheld bicycle bell whilst shouting "Business Class! Business Class!".
Old May 2, 2019, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a pretty relaxed person so such things described by the OP don't really bother me. When you live in Argentina you have to be open-minded otherwise you'd go mad.
cjb666 and Mightymouse like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by pondhopper79
I love a good rant but couldn't this be summed up as "man entitled to be in group 1 stands at front of queue and doesn't like others pushing past" then "man moves bag to place his bag above his head".
Do that for all posts, BAEC will take very little space on FT servers. !
Old May 3, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
On a recent flight in CW from MCO I witnessed a male passenger literally shoulder barge another out of the way to be in front of him to scan his boarding pass and board. As I've got no particular desire to sit on the aircraft longer than is necessary (with two children under the age of 4) so hung back and waited for the initial scrum to clear. I literally have no idea why people think that's an acceptable way to behave or indeed why they would want to sit on the aircraft for longer than is absolutely necessary.
I have anxiety and it gets particularly bad when i am travelling. I panic about numerous things and really, it helps being on the plane when i am stressed out as it is and also it means that i can ensure i have my medication above me which relaxes me a bit. Considering i fly so much, i dont actually like being in the air, especially over the Atlantic. But being on there and settled in my seat makes me feel better.

Hence me being, what you lot call, "Gate lice".
Old May 3, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Deleted.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Do that for all posts, BAEC will take very little space on FT servers. !
Ha, yes very true! The fluff to substance ratio just seemed particularly bad here. As you were 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.