Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TownCar
When the tensa-barrier was opened for us to walk towrds to the boarding lanes, I was astonished to see the Pompous Man literally side-swipe the Bearded Casual Guy to get into his lane and keep in front of him. What on earth possesses someone to act in such an immature, twattish manner? If they have the wealth to travel first class, what massive insecurities must they have to react in such a way to anyone boarding ahead of them?
I usually casually point out the plane arrives at the destination at the same time for all the passengers so no need to get uptight!
Old May 2, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
All I can say is that you've never been in Waitrose when the reductions come out.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The only thing I would say is that in my experience boorish crap behaviour is not limited to any one place or nationality.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Money doesn't buy class
Or manners.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:37 am

On a recent flight in CW from MCO I witnessed a male passenger literally shoulder barge another out of the way to be in front of him to scan his boarding pass and board. As I've got no particular desire to sit on the aircraft longer than is necessary (with two children under the age of 4) so hung back and waited for the initial scrum to clear. I literally have no idea why people think that's an acceptable way to behave or indeed why they would want to sit on the aircraft for longer than is absolutely necessary.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
My observation is that at the outstations where business travellers just assume everyone is going to disregard civility at the gate (cultural prejudice?), people who otherwise wouldn't dream of physical aggression (if in Waitrose, for example), become animals in what they believe to be a preemptive effort not to let others push in front of them.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
All I can say is that you've never been in Waitrose when the reductions come out.
I'm not a regular Waitrose kind of person, but to see the words Waitrose and animals in the same sentence is mildly amusing
Old May 2, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
It is curious behaviour.
SWMBO and I were coming back through FCO on BA from a holiday in Italy. We were in CE. We were casually dressed. The boarding queue was a bit messy, but generally well behaved. Until an older but smartly dressed couple arrived, who just wanted to get to the front of the line. Their attempts were not much liked by the folk in the queue.
Life is just too short to do that sort of stuff.
The causes of the behaviour are well beyond my little brain.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
When I was studying to be a nurse, I was taught that at any given time approximately 4 out of 10 people are need need of psychological care. I think that this fits the bill quite snugly. There are people who, I suspect, are used to having their own way in all things and think that the rest of the world will acquiesce accordingly. Then they meet me. I do not go looking for trouble but am prepared to meet it head on. Was Mr Pompous taking pictures the entire time, if so, I suspect that I know who this might be. If so, they are vulgarity personified and complain about everything.

Frankly, one of the wonderful things about flying is that usually you leave the aircraft and leave it all behind. You are destined never to see any of these oafs and slobs again so consign them to the dustbin of history.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
People are people.

Some are moronic dipsticks.

Others are lovely.

Many are in-between the two.

Life would be boring if we were all the same!

Not that I agree with any physical contact... If someone did that to me whilst climbing over my feel, they would likely end up with my foot in their nether regions.
wrp96, AmaaiZeg and spaninan like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's leisure travelers. During an early part of my career I had a business assignment entailing monthly flights to a destination better known for holidaying. General behavior was notably worse than on a typical flight to a destination less appealing to the vacation crowd.

Of the two incidents in the first post I would have ignored the first. Not my issue and doesn't affect me. In the second where it did affect the OP directly, the right thing was done to involve the cabin crew who subsequently set matters straight.

My approach to the bad behavior of others while travelling is F.I.D.O. The family-rated version is Forget It, Drive On. The adult version uses a slightly shorter word that begins with the same letter.
freQ and Maurice_Levy like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:29 am
formerly smoaky

I recently flew in WTP on BA. While at the gate, the PE restroom was shut for some reason (not in use as far as I could tell) and the flight attendant told me to go to the business class one quickly. Did as I was told, and let me tell you, there are some terrible people in BA J lol. The looks on their faces... just enjoy your flight hah. Fortunately for them no other rabble was told to use the restroom up there again, which I might add was just as bad as any in the plane. There seems to be a continuum between badly behaved leisure travelers and people that take class too serious, on the plane and off.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
May be this should be in the DYKWIA thread? Just a thought The reason I say that is because I like to read these (often incredible) stories and that is where I'd look
Yes, I agree. This should be moved to DYKWIA thread!
Old May 2, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I think the lesson from all of this is that Arrogant Man needs to use the sharpest elbows available to ensure he boards before people with masses of hand luggage.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Definitely not leisure travellers. The worst offenders are usually the middle manager business traveller types - Raymond Queneau put this wonderfully in "Zazie dans le Metro" as something like "les hommes d'affaires, satchel en main, avec leur air de savoir voyager mieux que tout le monde". A little bit of status and you're into the worst sorts of self centred arrogance. I suspect the bad leisure travellers are bad business travellers on their holidays mostly. Normal leisure travellers more or less do what they're told and fall into line, and are usually more focused on where they're going than how they're going to get there.

The psychology of boarding - and I'm as much prone to this as anyone, I well remember the PHX do where despite everyone saying they were really cool and would wait to board, there was a bit of a competition to get to the front of G1 - is that you believe you are in competition with lots of people who want your overhead space so you'll have to put your bag under your seat or somewhere well behind you, such that getting off requires an upstream backtrack of salmonesque efforts. And then you are in competition with the middle manager business traveller generic enemy type (as outlined above), and the idiot traveller generic enemy type, and the chancer generic enemy types who've gate checked their bags and got to board before you, and so dudgeon rises and into depersonalised battle we go. It is really stupid, but to an extent I still do it. No cure really.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I love a good rant but couldn't this be summed up as "man entitled to be in group 1 stands at front of queue and doesn't like others pushing past" then "man moves bag to place his bag above his head".
LCY8737, AmaaiZeg and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.