Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 state of disrepair

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling

Originally Posted by Crofton138
Same for me, I was on G-ZBKL recently in F and it was spotless.
I was in 1k today on this aircraft and this was the view.
2a was not connected to power and unused.

Old May 3, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

If, as you write, you’ve noticed the same issues as you witnessed on BA with LAN & JAL - then it’s unlikely to be an issue confined to BA.

Doc Copper
Doh! I mean't to say I haven't noticed the same issues with LAN and JAL 787s.

As to specifics, on the last flight:
1. My seat (1B) wouldn't go down at first, but was eventually persuaded to. Getting it back to landing position took 3 crew.
2. The screen wouldn't stay out, it was swinging closed on its own even on the stand. A member of crew held it out for the safety briefing.
3. The front toilet door was very difficult to get to close. When it did it wouldn't fully lock, without some effort. And then the slider only went just far enough to turn the lights on.
4. The toilet roll was on the side next to the sink. The holders were broken.
5. Horrible noise on the headphones if you disturbed the connector on the slightest.
6. The table was almost impossible to get down, unless you could get enough force through your finger nails when they were jammed into the hinge. It then had a terrible case of table sag, not the usual slight droop, but 'is my vlml going to end up on the floor' levels.

The crew forgetting to unlock the window shades and the usual lack of cleanliness added to the impression of it being run down and unloved.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Using flimsy materials is certainly not a unique to BA issue ;-)
This is true.

In a former life I would often have to fly between Tripoli and Benghazi (not by personal choice, I hasten to add !), using Libyan Arab Airlines domestic network. Virtually all their aircraft interiors were every bit as scruffy as some of BA’s.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:56 pm

The main issue with BA remains poor cleaning IMHO (which is frankly inexcusable). In terms of fit-out falling apart, CX’s A350s look far worse than BA’s 787s but that’s a known issue.

Having said this, I would still take a 787 or an A350 over anything else thanks to the far better quality of air/environment (and endure the worse state of fittings).
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Name a company in the industry (manufacturer or airline) that isn't putting profit before product.
Who are you thinking then?
Old May 3, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I did listen to that podcast about Boeing. If the information is correct I would start to worry that they are cutting corners, and as a passenger & avgeek this would influence my choice of carrier/routing to avoid certain aircraft types.

However - over the last week I’ve had two 787 and one 777 flight, and all have been impeccably clean and (seemingly) well maintained. None of these flights were operated by BA.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Who are you thinking then?
British Airways, to name but one (in my, professional, experience)
nancypants likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SonTech
There are quite a few reports floating around the internet saying that quality at Boeing has suffered recently. Seems quite a few employees reporting such after the 737Max grounding and the investigations into Boeing taking place.
This isn't a Boeing issue though. As pointed out above, other airlines keep their aircraft clean and the cabins are not falling to bits. I've flown the B787 on QR, AA and KLM and all were fine and clean.
subject2load and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.