Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 state of disrepair

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have had a total of four flights on 787-9s, the oldest of which being 4 months at the time. Three flights had issues with the screens in Club not staying out, one flight had a toilet door that would not stay closed when not locked (not pleasant when sitting in 7E) and all four had toilets with defects causing them to constantly flush. Combined with the idiotic window shading system, these have just made me go out of my way never to fly on 787s.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Odd. I flew on a 787 for the first time this week and thought it looks very good!
Same for me, I was on G-ZBKL recently in F and it was spotless.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
The things were in a state within a few months... Cheap cheap lightweight materials which are completely unfit for purpose for the amount of people using them. Poorly made and fitted and easily broken.

I did some of the EASA proving flights at Manston, and could see the wear on the planes before they had even entered service. One of the biggest problems were the fold down bulkhead sections below the lockers. Terribly made and installed, misaligned locking pins which meant they had to be wiggled to get them to lock, which ended up damaging the casing around the mechanisms, very flimsy door hinge mechanisms and bin flaps etc.

Just a pain in the behind.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
But I do wonder if Boeing have been putting profit before their products in recent years, but does aircraft interiors fall into Boeing’s responsibility?!
To a certain degree Boeing will be responsible for the 'payloads' going into an aircraft. So, things like the interior panels, jump seats, pilots seats, and acoustical insulation blankets will be included in this. They also will run tests on seats, entertainment systems, carpet, toilet seats, etc. for flammability, and sometimes even wear & tear (See this link for info on Squirmin' Herman https://www.admet.com/aerospace-testing-equipment/). I think I remember hearing that they did flammability qualifications on anything going into the aircraft, but this may have changed over the years. But it's generally up to the airlines to get the testing of their aftermarket upgrades done. Boeing will often do installs of the payloads for the airlines.

Other things such as floor panels and bulkheads are considered 'structures', that is, part of the actual loadbearing structural framework of the aircraft.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
The flappy IFE screen in the E seats of club are pretty irritating, but most crews and regular passengers have figured out a workaround for this adapting easily available resources. My own choice is the club class menu which has a degree of stiffness when folded that seems to work well
Old May 2, 2019, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I disagree, NH got the first Dreamliners and they keep them in great shape inside. Of course it's Japan, where they are pretty committed to that sort of thing.
having flown Jal F and J 10 times this year their cleaning could give masterclasses to BA abysmal state of affairs...
the jal FA would probably hide and cry if they found a product even to a tenth as dirty as BA J or F
Old May 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Horatio
789 F LHR -> JNB a couple of weeks ago showing condition of seat and lack of cleaning. That Meridian tag was from the previous passenger, which implies no cleaning at all to me. Filing a complaint with very low expectations...
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Odd. I flew on a 787 for the first time this week and thought it looks very good!
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Same for me, I was on G-ZBKL recently in F and it was spotless.
this was my seat last May to Cairo. It was the Aircraft with F cabin where they use the F cabin for the crew rest!

IFE screen had red wine stains. Cleaning is still a weakness for BA

The floor was stained and lots of trapped dirt

Red wine stain on table storage

Red wine stains on walls and carpet
Old May 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unacceptable. Did you complain?
Old May 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
It’s a disgrace that someone would waste such perfectly good red wine :O
george77300 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Kind of looks like a murder took place there!
Old May 3, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Out of interest, did anyone listen to this NY Times Daily episode about Boeing last week?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/p...harleston.html
Old May 3, 2019, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
But I do wonder if Boeing have been putting profit before their products in recent years,
Name a company in the industry (manufacturer or airline) that isn't putting profit before product.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
On a flight to AUH before Easter we had one completely broken seat in Club, one IFE screen that wouldnt lock in the viewing position (flapping everywhere) and duct tape everywhere. Seriously unimpressive, but 80,000 miles compemsation (received within 24hrs of notifying BA) were appreciated.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
There are quite a few reports floating around the internet saying that quality at Boeing has suffered recently. Seems quite a few employees reporting such after the 737Max grounding and the investigations into Boeing taking place.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Horatio
789 F LHR -> JNB a couple of weeks ago showing condition of seat and lack of cleaning. That Meridian tag was from the previous passenger, which implies no cleaning at all to me. Filing a complaint with very low expectations...
Such things happen when you use the cheapest leather possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.