Wiki Posts
Search

787 state of disrepair

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
787 state of disrepair

I had my first two flights on BA 787's in the past two weeks. What is going on with the state of these aircraft? Both of them were falling apart already. I can't remember seeing a BA aircraft in such a bad state since the non VOD 777s, pre-refresh 747s included. Is it BA ordering a low quality interior? I have noticed that same issues on LAN Chile or JAL's 787s.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:38 pm

One would have thought that if this particular one had recently been in for the RR engine issue, BA might have taken advantage in updating the interior if it's indeed that poor.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by elwe
I had my first two flights on BA 787's in the past two weeks. What is going on with the state of these aircraft? Both of them were falling apart already. I can't remember seeing a BA aircraft in such a bad state since the non VOD 777s, pre-refresh 747s included. Is it BA ordering a low quality interior? I have noticed that same issues on LAN Chile or JAL's 787s.
Think we need a bit more detail here in order to get some meaningful replies : could you elaborate on what in particular was “falling apart” ?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Is it BA ordering a low quality interior? I have noticed that same issues on LAN Chile or JAL's 787s.
If, as you write, you’ve noticed the same issues as you witnessed on BA with LAN & JAL - then it’s unlikely to be an issue confined to BA.

Doc Copper
Old May 1, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i mean F on the 787 is showing age at such a short time, but yes OP please let us know what you mean.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
I’ll throw in my tuppence and suggest that maybe the light weight materials used in the aircraft and well anything massed produced, with the main concern being how to keep the production/manufacturing/ordering costs down, stuff is simply not built to last. I was on BAs 787 and the rattling of the interior overhead lockers throughout the flight was very obvious and frankly worrying that such a new product could be so poorly put together.

The hay-days of well built aircraft like 747 and 777 are probably gone. It’s now about how efficient aircraft can be, which inevitably means how cheap can we get! Over spending doesn’t always guarantee quality or longevity granted. But I do wonder if Boeing have been putting profit before their products in recent years, but does aircraft interiors fall into Boeing’s responsibility?!

I’m drifting into a non BA topic so I’ll stop but it’s all very interesting.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Some
It’s nothing to do with lightweight materials, it’s a BA specific issue - they made all the wrong choices in the interior of their 787s.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
But I do wonder if Boeing have been putting profit before their products in recent years
Like wiring up MCAS to only one AoA indicator, perhaps...?
Old May 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Using flimsy materials is certainly not a unique to BA issue ;-)
Old May 1, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
not surprised. Almost a year ago my 787 flight experience was poor. It was filthy and hadn’t been cleaned . Between the cheap finish and lack of focus on cleaning and maintenance they will deteriorate quickly.

Still if it does mean that the product is at least consistent across the entire fleet🤭
aristoph likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Odd. I flew on a 787 for the first time this week and thought it looks very good!
Old May 2, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
The hay-days of well built aircraft like 747 and 777 are probably gone. It’s now about how efficient aircraft can be, which inevitably means how cheap can we get! Over spending doesn’t always guarantee quality or longevity granted. But I do wonder if Boeing have been putting profit before their products in recent years, but does aircraft interiors fall into Boeing’s responsibility?!

I disagree, NH got the first Dreamliners and they keep them in great shape inside. Of course it's Japan, where they are pretty committed to that sort of thing.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The aircraft was falling apart? That sounds like an acute safety issue!
Old May 2, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The ‘leather’ in the first cabin scuffs very easily so that cabin is looking very dated already. The other cabins don’t look too bad on the ones I’ve flown on. The main issue is around the dividing walls where the tops need to be unlocked and flipped down to get to the overhead bins. They seem to break a lot. At least they have decent IFE unlike most of the 777/747
Old May 2, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
789 F LHR -> JNB a couple of weeks ago showing condition of seat and lack of cleaning. That Meridian tag was from the previous passenger, which implies no cleaning at all to me. Filing a complaint with very low expectations...
Attached Images   
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.