The seat vs the rest of the service.

Old May 1, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
For me it's a blend --- the seat up to a point, but then service becomes more relevant.

In my case, with connections I often get to choose between an AA 767, an AA A330, a BA 747, and a BA 787. The AA 767 seat is terrible, and I'd choose any of the others over it -- even if that meant a seat with essentially no service at all.

OTOH, while I prefer the seats on the AA A330 over BA's CW, the service I've had on AA has been decided underwhelming on recent trips, while I've had great service on most of my BA trips (particularly upper deck on the 747) -- better food, friendlier flight attendants, nicer club lounges, etc. The difference in service has been enough that I'm back with BA this summer, even though that means just a good-enough CW seat.
navylad likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
2 points from me.

Firstly there is always a minimum standard of Service that is required, thankfully this is often exceeded by most airlines (and usually even by Crab Air).

Thats when it then becomes a bit more of a play off, depending on where you are going, what you would like to during the flight, the duration and one’s mood.

Night fljght, not only is the seat more important, but is specifically how comfortable it is to sleep and perhaps how private your seat is. Day flight and you may wish to work or watch the entertainment, in which case the ergonomics become more important. If you’ve had a bad week, looking forward to getting home, it may be just the CC that shows some empathy that is important.

Whilst I fear people’s jumling to referendum, these things can rarely be simplified to binary questions.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
When flying business class (long-haul) it's all about the seat comfort and ability to get some decent sleep.
For economy (short-haul) it's all about the service as the seats are much of a muchness. This is where SQ have it down to a T. However I don't fly SQ long-haul as I can't stand their seats...
Old May 1, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Bad service can ruin a flight just as much as a bad seat can. Especially when I'm paying for F, I hate feeling unappreciated or that I'm a bother.

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
If airlines would offer more 'no frills' service with a business class type lie flat or angled seat, for something more affordable than current business class prices then I would take that. Jetblue's Mint product is up there...
Mint soft product is outstanding, including great crews. That's why I'm happy paying a premium for Mint even over the legacy carriers' transcon premium products.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
If I had to choose it would be the seat. But I don’t want to have to choose.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm sure it would come down to the price, but if I could have a lay-flat for WTP pricing without the CW service, I would definitely.
Originally Posted by tenrohle
That is not really the same product as a lie flat WTP seat.
Nope, but it is a lay flat at a WTP price which is what I was replying to
Old May 2, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
the service is important
There is nothing worse than a great seat and being ignored
I hate it when you get crews that hide in the galley in business class
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andriyko
It is the seat of course (aka how much space it occupies on an airplane). There will always be people who’ll think that just because they paid this or that much for a ticket they should get the best food and wines, and it always surprises me as to why people expect culinary delights from an airline rather than a restaurant. While I think it is nice that we get food and drinks in premium cabins, I also think that criticizing airlines for not knowing how to do a steak right (really? steaks? rather than efficiently moving millions of people between places?) or not being imaginative with their menus is completely misplaced.
Then maybe the airlines should stop advertising it as top notch? People wouldn't then be disappointed.

Choose from the indulgent and delicious ŕ la carte menu designed by leading chefs from around the world.

Begin your meal with a delicious starter, while we prepare your preferred main course. Indulge further with our tempting desserts and carefully chosen cheese platter, accompanied by seasonal fresh fruit and the finest chocolate.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It's the sum of it all in my view. Ultimately, I am a service person, but I like the space that Business Class offers. Unlike many I am actively avoiding using AA Transatlantic as the crews that I have had at AA have been dire. I really don't care how old they are, they just have become so remote and disinterested in what they are doing. As long as I have sufficient space, I am perfectly happy.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Then maybe the airlines should stop advertising it as top notch? People wouldn't then be disappointed.
Or maybe people, at least reasonable adults among us (thankfully, the majority - otherwise airlines would be going out of business every time a steak was not perfectly cooked) should remember that they’re buying transportation, and accept that despite the marketing drill airlines want us to believe there are limitations as to what can actually be delivered. Expectations should be placed appropriately. ‘Top notch’ on an airplane and ‘top notch’ in a restaurant are two very different things. It takes a little bit of a reality check to realize that.
HIDDY and argonath like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I think it all depends on your expectations. I expect the seat I booked to be what I paid for, in working condition and clean. That should not be a variable, it is the hard product and it is what it is.

For me it comes down to all the other elements. The main reason Ryanair generally piss me off is because you might get one crew member in four who is smiling and friendly. When I return a smile and a thank you and I get a blank look, a bare response and not even the hint of a smile in response, it makes me feel like a chump for being nice. Don't work in a service role if you are not of a personality type to respond to people in a human fashion.

Therefore, the service is a big deal to me. My best remembered flights are solely due to the service. The Cathay Pacific lead who once commented on a SIN-BKK that they knew I was going to HKT (Phuket) and had I been there before and asked about my trip. The British Airways crew who sent me on my merry way in Moscow with a bag of "Duty Free" to enjoy in the hotel, many years ago. The Qantas crew member who saw me taking a picture of my Dad in domestic business class, offered to take a photo of us both, asked about our trip, then gave us a bottle of wine to take with us at the end of the flight. The BA crew member who slipped me an extra drink when she saw that her colleague didn't do that for me when I had asked. The Malev Purser who, on an early morning flight where I fell asleep in my seat, put a pillow and blanket on my lap which I found when I woke up. The Qatar Airways crews who, without fail, will come by and ask you if you want anything when they notice you've woken up from a sleep. I mean, these are just some examples.

Conversely, one of my memories of a bad crew was my first time in BA First Class in about 2009, which I did using Qantas points. My very first international first class flight, where I was addressed as Mr 2A, and "Oh, Mr. 2A is here!" and was promptly ignored most of the flight. All because, in the lounge pre-flight, they asked me to move seats and I politely refused to do so.

Otherwise, the food and drinks are really important to me. I like to try new things, I like a meal that comes out looking great and not stingy portion wise, plus I like to eat at other times or have snacks. An interesting menu is important when travelling up front.

So while the seat is what it is, service is key for me. It's very easy to please me and make it into a great flight by engaging with me, even if it is acknowledging my please and thank you, while it's also easy enough to make me feel unwanted. I'm not hard to please, and I give crew the benefit of the doubt as I know how hard the role is, especially with fatigue and so on in the mix, so for me to actually not enjoy the service I am getting means it's pretty dire.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by gengar
Mint soft product is outstanding, including great crews. That's why I'm happy paying a premium for Mint even over the legacy carriers' transcon premium products.
I'm not saying the product is bad in any way, but the prices I see are a little expensive for my liking unless I find a sale fare.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
80% the seat, 15% the wine, 5% the food
Old May 2, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
The seat is the thing you're in contact with the entire flight so ultimately very important.

But a bad meal can be the thing that you ultimately remember - like the most gawd dam awful bacon and egg breakfast muffin served to me in CW out of Vancouver a few years ago. Two bites and I stopped eating. I think the main meal may have been good, I can't remember as the disgusting muffin is all that I remember from that flight.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:29 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
It would be interesting if BA offered a flat bed without any of the extra service - so no lounge, no champagne etc. Would that product do well?
I think some airlines have been toying with the idea of converting part of the hold into a series of coffin pods a bit like the crew rest areas. No service at all, just a place to sleep. They obviously believe there's a potential market for it, but no-one has done it as yet as far as I know.

On the main thread topic I probably veer more to service than most as I don't fly that often. For me flying is a treat and I want it to feel special. I have had good and bad service in all cabins and it makes or breaks the experience. The journey is part of the holiday.
WickedStepMother likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.