GGL and Premier on a plane

Old May 2, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SKRan
At which point did the crew mentions *your* identifiable status information to other status passengers? If they say 1A is a GGL I think it’s a violation of the data protection regulation. But it’s hard for me to see how you are personally impacted when other people get to know there are a certain number of passengers in F are GGLs.
If you look at post 7 again, the following is mentioned:

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I couldn't believe when they said those were all ggls.
[Emphasis mine]

The crew member is claimed to have commented that they were all GGL. You are right that if the crew member said "some passengers in the cabin are GGL" that would not constitute identifiable private data, but "all passengers" does because it means all of 1A, 1D, 1E, 1K, etc.

In other words, based on the information provided (as reported), you could look at any of the passengers in the FLUB cabin and know/believe that he/she individually is GGL.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by orbitmic

i agree it’s likely but in a way it doesn’t make it better. Imagine the bitter customer recognises one of the lucky ones (for instance a more junior colleague on the same flight or a friend or sister in law going to the same family holiday) and starts spreading fake news to their boss or husband that Martha says she always flies in Y but crew told me she’s GGL so she must be lying or Susan claims she hasn’t been abroad for 5 years but crew told me she’s GGL so she must be cheating on Peter and having a secret life of far flung exotic hangouts with her gigolo lover when she claims she is off to Basingstoke for her weekly training course...
Years ago a business acquaintance and friend (sadly no longer with us) had a meeting set up with somebody from a UK company. From memory the bloke asked if the meeting could be cancelled and then rescheduled at short notice. This was apparently a ploy to get round the firms travel policy. This banned J class travel except if economy etc. was full. So reschedule the meeting at short notice and oh dear there's only seats in Club or First Only problem was the big boss (allegedly a Premier card holder) was on the same flight and knew this trick. Bloke arrived at meeting annoyed because the boss had sat next to him in the lounge/on the flight. Boss had said as it was a business trip with bigger seats etc. they had to work. Therefore they couldn't drink, watch the IFE etc. Was also warned not to do it again He had no idea his boss had top status.
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 2, 2019 at 6:49 am
Old May 2, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Bloke arrived at meeting annoyed because the boss had sat next to him in the lounge/on the flight. Boss had said as it was a business trip with bigger seats etc. they had to work. Therefore they couldn't drink, watch the IFE etc. Was also warned not to do it again He had no idea his boss had top status.
Oopsie!! -- though you are not saying whether the boss was from Basingstoke!
Old May 2, 2019, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cauchy
Perhaps the agent was frustrated that she could not do something nice for her customers (especially as there's no question of revenue seepage here). And saying the seats are not available would be a lie, they just aren't available for this specific customer.
It is not a lie - if it is not available to that passenger , then it is not available. Saying that they were taken would be a lie
Old May 2, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Wasn't quite how I thought the thread would go, thought it might have more anecdotes than GDPR breaches
Old May 2, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stuvoi
Wasn't quite how I thought the thread would go, thought it might have more anecdotes than GDPR breaches
Yes. What a shame.
Only anecdote I know is that Sean Connery hated BA and publicly voiced his desire to only fly VA. Based on this, the BA board made him a Premier.
​​​​​​If complaining was what got a Premier, some people on FT would be offered the black card in no time.
stuvoi likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you look at post 7 again, the following is mentioned:

[Emphasis mine]

The crew member is claimed to have commented that they were all GGL. You are right that if the crew member said "some passengers in the cabin are GGL" that would not constitute identifiable private data, but "all passengers" does because it means all of 1A, 1D, 1E, 1K, etc.

In other words, based on the information provided (as reported), you could look at any of the passengers in the FLUB cabin and know/believe that he/she individually is GGL.
Assuming someone in CLUB could *personally identify* each person in FLUB by facial recognition equipment, yes, the information constitutes a personal data leak. One exception would be someone famous sitting in FLUB. For example, you see Boris Johnson in FLUB and crew then tells you that everyone in FLUB is GGL. Then you are effectively told that Mr Johnson is a GGL.

Are you famous? ;-)
Old May 3, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
This thread has become a farce with some really silly arguments being thrown around.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by SKRan
Assuming someone in CLUB could *personally identify* each person in FLUB by facial recognition equipment, yes, the information constitutes a personal data leak. One exception would be someone famous sitting in FLUB. For example, you see Boris Johnson in FLUB and crew then tells you that everyone in FLUB is GGL. Then you are effectively told that Mr Johnson is a GGL.
err... I think you might wish to revise your understanding of the current data protection regulation (at least if you handle any data or are responsible for people who do, otherwise I can certainly see why this could feel like more trouble than it’s worth). The above is simply incorrect.

anyway enough on privacy for me, I think it’s high time the thread refocused on the op’s hopes to know how many ggls and prems can be on a given flight.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 3, 2019 at 3:14 am
Old May 3, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I don't think I've ever met a GGL who wanted their status to be kept a closely-guard state secret under penalty of a GDPR lawsuit... usually quite the opposite! :-)

As to the Madrid flight, do we think it is more likely that:

1. There were _actually_ at least 14 GGLs aboard, _and_ the outsourced Madrid ground staff had the willing and ability to prioritise strictly by CIV and move them all into F, or;

2. The crew actually told a small white lie to explain why Mr Gold hadn't made it into F.

As a non-GGL Gold who got his (BA Blue) partner into F on MAD-LHR, while GGL friends have remained in J on the route, I'd think latter more likely.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by TTmex
Yes. What a shame.
Only anecdote I know is that Sean Connery hated BA and publicly voiced his desire to only fly VA. Based on this, the BA board made him a Premier.
​​​​​​If complaining was what got a Premier, some people on FT would be offered the black card in no time.
For someone so recognisable, what would Premier give over and above being a famous person?
Old May 5, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sahajesh

For someone so recognisable, what would Premier give over and above being a famous person?
Good publicity for BA in way, I guess. Plus I don't know the full facts, but I believe Premier does come with some certain perks which start way before you arrive to the airport. But I'm not going to speculate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.