LHR - JFK BA113 - Equipment Change...

Old May 1, 19, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa
LHR - JFK BA113 - Equipment Change...

Hello,

To preface this post, I know booking flights far in advance always carry a risk of equipment being changed but I am hoping for some sympathy and commiseration... So I treated myself to a rare first class flight to New York, booked last year for a flight this July. Did all the research to make sure I'd get the 747, booked myself into 1K (K because last time I flew to New York the views from the right side of the plane were stunning), sat back and relaxed... Until I checked the flight yesterday and we've had an equipment change from a 747 to a 777. Nooooooooo!!! So instead of sitting in the nose of the 747, I'm now in the seat next to the galley and behind the toilets. Nooooooooo!!!! How gutting is this?

So, here's my dilemma - I don't really want 1K on a 777 because of the aforementioned reasons - toilet and galley. At the moment 3K is still available and I am very tempted to move myself there, but what do I do if they change the flight back to the 747? Is there any chance that this could happen? I realise this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but would the overall advice be that I move to 3K on the assumption that a further change is unlikely?

Thanks very much for advice and sympathy!
Old May 1, 19, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
They may or may not change it back to a 747, but this has no bearing on the seat you’ll get. Your best bet is to choose the seat you want for the 777 and then keep an eye out for the unlikely change back to a Jumbo.
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 3:39 am

Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer View Post

Thanks very much for advice and sympathy!
Lots of sympathy. As for advice, LondonElite is spot on. 3K is a pretty good seat on the 777 and it won't make any difference to whether you'd get Row 1 again if the equipment changes back. Probably worth setting up an Expertflyer alert for equipment change if you haven't already done so - this would give you the best notice to get Row 1 back if needed.
Inselhuepfer likes this.
Old May 1, 19, 3:58 am

I'd say you've been subject to a good change here. From cramped BA 747 F class to something more spacious

I can never understand the passion for 1A/1K on a 747 - they must be the most cramped F seats flying.
Old May 1, 19, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
Probably worth setting up an Expertflyer alert for equipment change if you haven't already done so - this would give you the best notice to get Row 1 back if needed.
Excellent advice.

Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I can never understand the passion for 1A/1K on a 747 - they must be the most cramped F seats flying.
Come on...no one ahead of you and you can almost see straight out of that first window!
pacenotes and TravelManBiz like this.
Old May 1, 19, 4:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Likelihood of further changes will depend as much as when the flight is. If sooner then it is less likely to change, although not impossible.
Old May 1, 19, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Come on...no one ahead of you and you can almost see straight out of that first window!
Actually I have never really got the appeal of 1A/K on the 747. I've done it a few times but wouldn't bother again, even when travelling with Mr W. I love window seats but the forward view didn't do much for me.
Old May 1, 19, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Actually I have never really got the appeal of 1A/K on the 747. I've done it a few times but wouldn't bother again, even when travelling with Mr W. I love window seats but the forward view didn't do much for me.
My comment was a bit more T-i-C. I've never really managed to satisfy my forward look and much prefer(red) 2A/K on the 747.
Old May 1, 19, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Agree with the swap to 3K for the B777.

I'm also of the view that this equipment swap is probably a bonus too, but of course we're all different (1K on the B747 if you are travelling alone is nothing special at all). Having said that, if I was in J and the swap was from a B747 to a B777 then I'd be really miffed!
Old May 1, 19, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I'd say you've been subject to a good change here. From cramped BA 747 F class to something more spacious

Snap. I appreciate the beauty of a 747 generally but you can't see that once you're inside anyway. It's touch and go if I actually prefer the BA F hard product on the 747 to the best upper deck seats on the same plane, there's really nothing in it.

I would consider a swap to a 777 to be an upgrade when in F.
Old May 1, 19, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa
Thanks very much for all the replies, I am probably a bit too hung up on the iconic 747, sitting in the nose and ahead of the flight deck, but overall you're obviously all right, once inside, you don't really notice and yes, you are very close to the person on the other side of the aisle. Although I did like the windows when I did this flight last year.

Anyway, I have changed my seat to 3K on the 777 and I've set up an alert on Expertflyer for an equipment change so that I can jump back into 1K in case it gets changed back to a 747. Thanks to ThatT1Feeling for that tip!
Old May 1, 19, 4:55 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by where2travel View Post
Agree with the swap to 3K for the B777.

I'm also of the view that this equipment swap is probably a bonus too, but of course we're all different (1K on the B747 if you are travelling alone is nothing special at all). Having said that, if I was in J and the swap was from a B747 to a B777 then I'd be really miffed!
In which case, feel miffed for me and many others! A few months ago there was a swap from 747 to 777 which swept a number of early May JFK-LHR flights up, then later the balance got moved over (at least on 6th May when Im flying). Upper deck row 62 to row 11 in the dorm ... .

None of those flights have swapped back to a 747, so Id agree with others that expectation of a return to row 1 in the nose should be severely tempered.