Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

M&S Onboard Menu Summer 2019 (shorthaul buy on board)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&S Onboard Menu Summer 2019 (shorthaul buy on board)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I do miss the bacon roll.. with brown sauce that was quite tasty.

Despite having lounge access, I do like the buy on board.. clearly would prefer it to be free but having Tanquaray and Pink Gin is an improvement.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Disappointing that the kids activity packs are being charged for. They used to give out free packs to kids, It's just getting more and more like Ryan air... next they will be selling scratch cards? When will they come to their senses and give us a free drink + snack, and give the brand a bit of a premium feel again?
florens and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Still very uninspiring. The brochure looks more appealing than its content. But I guess it is a menu that is more to the taste of Brits that consider a sandwich and some crisps as a meal. Nothing really suitable for breakfast services nor for longer routes. It is bread, bread and more bread. Still waiting for Alex Cruz’ revolutionary’s BoB that will make us change the way we think about airplane food.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Pickering's Gin sounds interesting, not so sure about the other one especially not with Gin Jam

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by zappomatic
Note these mixers are Schweppes 1783 so it's their premium range - essentially their response to losing market share to the likes of Fever Tree.

But it looks like they'll only have the light version...
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Note these mixers are Schweppes 1783 so it's their premium range - essentially their response to losing market share to the likes of Fever Tree.
And that means it is NOT Schweppes Slimline tonic (sugar-free and calorie-free) but 'Light' which is roughly half the sugar and calories, but just as frustrating to a diet-controlled diabetic as was Fever Tree Light.

Pickerings Gin from Edinburgh is a most likeable gin, incidentally.
Ciroc likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
I decided to see how BA was getting on on its own price comparison metric. This is from the press release introducing Buy On Board in September 2016, ahead of its introduction in January 2017:

An Easyjet sandwich is £4.50, whereas British Airways’ Marks & Spencer sandwiches cost £3 for nine month aged farmhouse cheddar cheese ploughman’s. A packet of crisps on Ryanair costs £2.16 whereas a packed of hand-cooked crisps on British Airways will cost £1. A cup of tea on Norwegian costs £2.50, and on British Airways will cost £2.30.
Now the Cheddar Cheese Ploughman's is £3.60, up 20% but still cheaper than Easyjet which is still £4.50. Crisps are up 15% to £1.15, while Ryanair's remain both more expensive and the same price as two and half years ago. Tea is up 8% to £2.50 (£2.35 in your own cup), Norwegian seems to be up as well though to €3 (£2.60).

So it seems on BA's chosen comparison they are still somewhat cheaper than the LCCs, however BOB inflation Jan 2017 to May 2019 is running somewhere from a bit to a lot ahead of CPI.

It is worth noting as well that BA is the only one of these 4 not to offer any kind of meal deal, which may change the real life prices a little, I will leave that number crunching to someone else though!
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Explains why I had both Harrogate and Highland Spring water on Sunday's flight to Las Vegas

Have the Avios prices changed too? I was charged 350 Avios for a cup of tea on the flight from NCL down to LHR on Sunday (or should that be "up" to LHR as one was flying to the capital?) but as that was probably only my second BoB purchase I don't have much to compare it with.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Percy Pig still available so all is right with the world
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In addition I will highlight

- price reduction of 15p per hot drink in return for using reusable (passsenger supplied) cup
- reusable and compactable cup for sale at £10, made by Stojo. I've been told they are also on sale in Waitrose.
So if a passenger brings onboard a paper cup from a retailer in the airport, will that count? If you cleaned out a paper cup, it would be reusable.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
Disappointing that the kids activity packs are being charged for. They used to give out free packs to kids, It's just getting more and more like Ryan air... next they will be selling scratch cards? When will they come to their senses and give us a free drink + snack, and give the brand a bit of a premium feel again?
SkyFlyers packs are still loaded, but to be honest it's really just a shoe bag with some crayons and colouring sheets.

Oh, turns out this is a CityFlyer thing!
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by EJetter; Apr 30, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The sandwiches are a cheese sandwich, another cheese sandwich, a cheese and meat sandwich, and a meat sandwich. Non-cheese-eaters are not going to be able to rely on getting a sandwich then, I don't fancy my chances from 1/4 of the menu.

Teapigs tea is OK.

Their most direct competitor, Easyjet, has 6 out of 9 sandwiches being some sort of cheese sandwich but do offer a vegan alternative (felafel and humous wrap, though when I last had their previous vegan wrap it was disgusting). They also still have bacon rolls. Easy have noodles and porridge, both reconstructed with water. I think BA are missing a trick there especially for mornings since these are shelf stable so should have low wastage rates.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 30, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:49 pm

SkyFlyers packs are still loaded, but to be honest it's really just a shoe bag with some crayons and colouring sheets.
We haven't had sky flyer packs on short haul at LHR for quite a while now. I don't know about LGW.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
My flight tonight had the new menus but the old selection. New service starts tomorrow but they refreshed the menus on board my flight a day early.

I was gutted when I read the menu, but elated to find that the Rhubarb and Ginger gin (my favourite) was
​​​still available: for one day only.

​​​​​ I'm just going to have to buy my own bottle to drink at home, and experiment with the berry flavoured one next flight and see if it's any good.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
We haven't had sky flyer packs on short haul at LHR for quite a while now. I don't know about LGW.
Ah this must be a CityFlyer thing - they're loaded in with the blankets, pillows etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.