Schedule changes

Old Apr 30, 19, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Schedule changes

Hi there, looking for some advice. Family is due to fly INV>LHR>CLT>LAS and just received a note the connection in CLT has been moved forward by 50 minutes reducing the window to 1hr 50min which in reality should be fine but they are concerned as we have a family gathering that evening.

Would a 50 minute schedule change involving customs clearance be grounds for changing the routing for them ?

And if so, would their journey still need to start in INV or could they request GLA>LGW>LAS ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by dolfinco View Post
Hi there, looking for some advice. Family is due to fly INV>LHR>CLT>LAS and just received a note the connection in CLT has been moved forward by 50 minutes reducing the window to 1hr 50min which in reality should be fine but they are concerned as we have a family gathering that evening.

Would a 50 minute schedule change involving customs clearance be grounds for changing the routing for them ?

And if so, would their journey still need to start in INV or could they request GLA>LGW>LAS ?

Thanks in advance.
Depends if it is on a BA ticket or AA ticket. With the former, I very much doubt it as I believe this still meets minimum connection time at CLT. With the latter, possibly but stretching it with regards to starting from GLA.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Plenty of positive reviews on here about the speed / efficiency of CLT - I wouldn't worry and on one ticket you are protected
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:50 am

I fly to CLT several times a year and it's always super quick to clear. I wouldn't be unduly concerned about this, but of course anything can happen on the day.
Old Apr 30, 19, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For Charlotte, that's an ideal connection time, you could be about 45 minutes late arriving and still make the connection, it's one of the best places in the USA to do this sort of connection, if not the very best.

But to answer the question assuming it was a BA ticket, I don't think you could move the INV service, but they would be OK to move the CLT - LAS service, or they may look at other routing to LAS options too. But frankly I wouldn't bother, it looks nice to me as it stands. If the family gathering is the reason for travel then you could depart 24 hours earlier for example, but then I guess you would have booked it that way in any event.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:47 am

I admire your stamina in going to a family do straight after that itinerary! Hope it all works out for you.
Old Apr 30, 19, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has not provided the timings so hard to discuss backups. But, he does point out that there is an essential function that evening so the issue is not protection, but scheduling.

Depending on exact date, AA operates five nonstop frequencies: 11:35, 16:10, 18:30, 20:31, and 22:28. Whether later arrivals still permit the function to occur is for OP to determine.

In the event that there are enroute delays known by the time OP is at LHR, some consideration should be given to rerouting via almost any other BA/AA gateway as AA serves LAS from pretty much all of them. Best to have those options written down to specifically request rather than expecting staff to look them up (and not get it done correctly).
Old Apr 30, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I will speak with my neice to see what she wants to do. Im thinking it will be fine but its important they are at the family do that night so just a small state of panic when it moved. Ive had a few scares clearing customs in the US in the past and 1 missed connection.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dolfinco View Post
... its important they are at the family do that night...
That's going to be a really long day for them! Even as a seasoned traveller I'd prefer not to attend a function on the night of arrival. Assuming they are on the 5:45pm arrival into LAS that means getting to their accommodation then out to a function that probably starts close to 24 hours after they woke up*. Do they know what they are in for??

*Assuming they are on the 0705 INV-LHR requiring a wake up of 5am or earlier.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
For Charlotte, that's an ideal connection time, you could be about 45 minutes late arriving and still make the connection, it's one of the best places in the USA to do this sort of connection, if not the very best.
In my last connection through CLT, my flight was delayed and, despite very quick immigration, I arrived at the counter to drop my baggage 29 min before the departure of my ongoing flight (to SYR). I was certain it was not going to work but I (barely) made it to the plane, for an on time departure, and my bag was there ahead of me!

My itinerary was MAD-CLT-SYR, with scheduled arrival at CLT at 15.25 and departure for SYR at 16.40 (extremely tight, but it was itself a rebooking due to a storm in PHL). Eventually, doors opened in CLT at 15.57, I had my luggage at 16.11 and just made it to my next flight (they allowed me to jump to the front of the TSA line as my phone was ringing with a last call to board). Luckily, it was the nearest gate to the security checkpoint. The CLT-SYR flight pushed back with me and my luggage onboard at 16.41. I was very impressed.

It's the most efficient OW airport to connect from a transatlantic flight, if not the best airside experience.

[Edited because I mixed up two itineraries]

Last edited by Yllanes; Apr 30, 19 at 1:22 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: