Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport check HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Excellent - thanks again. Just need to bookmark this thread for future ref!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by pythonisman
In town check in in HKG is basically the best thing since sliced bread ����
In town check in saves so much stress at the airport. I miss the Paddington check in desks which were very hany for me working nearby. I'm sure I was even able to check my bag in before going to work and then coming back and hoping on the (cheap at the time) HEX. Gatwick I think used to have a service from Victoria station too I believe. I'm sure the accountants killed it off along with security concerns.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by MrPie
off the top of my head I don't recall needing a ticket to check bags in........

but then again its been a while since I've been home to HKG.
You do need to have a ticket or valid octopus card with enough balance to enter the in-town check in area.

If you use an octopus card the fee will be deducted once you enter the check in area. You can take the train later in the day and it won’t be deducted again when you enter the station. If you use a valid ticket the same principle applies on the remaining sectors on that ticket.

i love the in-town check in in HK, CX has dedicated desks and Y, C and F desks. Other airlines have shared desks but if not staffed anyone from another desk could walk over to work that desk.

Globalist

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
This sounds great!
We're wanting to see the Big Buddha at Lantau before flying home, and was wondering what to do with the cases if check in at the airport didn't open until later.
Problem solved!

I take it we don't OLCI, and just check in at the Express station?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
This sounds great!
We're wanting to see the Big Buddha at Lantau before flying home, and was wondering what to do with the cases if check in at the airport didn't open until later.
Problem solved!

I take it we don't OLCI, and just check in at the Express station?
Hi,

You can OLCI if you want, I do not recall it making a difference.

Regards

TBS
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk

Is there a BA desk with a BA computer?

Or is check-in done by a generic desk that serves all airlines?

I used this with Cathay about 15 years ago but I’ve forgotten.
Last I knew ground services for BA at HKG are provided by Jardines, and they'll staff the desks at in-town check-in for BA and the other airlines they serve. They should be able to provide help such as seat-change requests and such, although I don't know if the in-town staff are trained for things such as AUPs or more complex problems.

One thing the OP could have tried at the airport before heading back into town: I wonder if the BA ticketing desk at the airport could have helped with this, provided traveling HBO and only needing the passport scan. There should be a ticketing service desk that's staffed even before BA check-in opens at the airport, again provided by the ground agent. Has anyone tried handling this sort of request there?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Make sure you get the same day return ticket on the Airport Express Train as it is the same price as one-way. In town check-in will be able to issue you your boarding pass.
You don't need to purchase a ticket at the airport to get on but will need a paid fare to exit the station in Kowloon or Hong Kong.

I purchase discounted fares (one-way or return) at www.klook.com while on the 25 minute ride. They email you a pdf that you scan when you get off.

If you don't have data on your phone there is free wifi on the train and the first & last car (1 & 7) have usb charging stations.

A quick look at klook shows a one-way fare of USD $5.60.

James in Capetown
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
This sounds great!
Problem solved!
When you come down after to Tung Chung you can take the S1 shuttle bus between Tung Chung Bus Terminus to the airport. It takes about 5-10 minutes and the bus station is adjacent to the cable car terminal. Cost is about HK$3.50 per person.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Last I knew ground services for BA at HKG are provided by Jardines, and they'll staff the desks at in-town check-in for BA and the other airlines they serve. They should be able to provide help such as seat-change requests and such, although I don't know if the in-town staff are trained for things such as AUPs or more complex problems.

One thing the OP could have tried at the airport before heading back into town: I wonder if the BA ticketing desk at the airport could have helped with this, provided traveling HBO and only needing the passport scan. There should be a ticketing service desk that's staffed even before BA check-in opens at the airport, again provided by the ground agent. Has anyone tried handling this sort of request there?
BA ticketing was unable to help. Indeed the lady on the desk was quite curt when she told me to come back at 19:30
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can the in-town check-in staff help with IRROPS, e.g. rebooking in case of a plane going tech?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:09 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to check in Town at 19.00 for next day flight at 8.00 in town? Philippine Airlines
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by p78
Is it possible to check in Town at 19.00 for next day flight at 8.00 in town? Philippine Airlines
No. See MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services and click where it says "Please click here for the contact numbers of airlines providing an In-town Check-in service." for details of which airlines allow day before check in.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You don't need to purchase a ticket at the airport to get on but will need a paid fare to exit the station in Kowloon or Hong Kong.

I purchase discounted fares (one-way or return) at www.klook.com while on the 25 minute ride. They email you a pdf that you scan when you get off.

If you don't have data on your phone there is free wifi on the train and the first & last car (1 & 7) have usb charging stations.

A quick look at klook shows a one-way fare of USD $5.60.

James in Capetown
yes and no. OP needs to return to the airport the same day. cheapest for this legally is to buy a day return ticket. at an AEx station (airport or the exiting station station eitherway will work)
if you want a 1-way ticket or a month-return ticket, klook is the way to go (there are referral codes!)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I thought online check in in HKG gave you a mobile boarding pass that would let you enter the airport if no check in baggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.