Wiki Posts
Search

Passport check HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

You can OLCI if you want, I do not recall it making a difference.

Regards

TBS
I was caught out once at HKG on a BA flight sitting around nursing a Starbucks longer than necessary until check-in opened landside at about T-3h, I had the missus with me so we had hold baggage, she doesn’t do HBO. Ever.

ISTBC, at the time I think there was a Oneworld perk where you could check-in at any OW counter. So I tried using a Cathay counter to check us in, but computer said no of course.

As far as I’m aware if you’re HBO and have OLCI’d, you can just go directly airside at HKG. I’m not aware of any maximum time before you can go airside either, assuming it’s the same day. Perhaps someone will correct me if I’m wrong. I have to say out of habit I go to a check-in counter though, I’m a bit old school in that respect and a bit too spoilt using the F check-ins.

One data point for you is that I have been pulled over at the gate for a passport inspection at HKG, although I think that might have been when I was connecting.

Last edited by Howard Long; Apr 30, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxc
I thought online check in in HKG gave you a mobile boarding pass that would let you enter the airport if no check in baggage?
Correct, that works fine in HKG and you can enter airside any time on the day of travel if HBO. I suspect the OP was having some problem with the booking / App for this to inhibit the App from doing a boarding pass. The usual cause would be missing or invalid API data, or some complex ticketing involved (e.g. Cathay plated where some people have selected British Subject rather than Citizen....). Usually UK passport holders shouldn't face issues on a return to the UK. Other reasons are explored in the main "Why can't I check in" thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
To confirm, I have just been on a very short trip to HKG, and, armed with my boarding pass that was printed in LHR, and HBO, at HKG I proceeded directly from the curb drop off to the electronic security at departures at T-4h. The physical check-in hadn’t opened yet.

Furthermore, I can also confirm that, in the interests of everyone’s future wellbeing, this gave me the opportunity to try five Espresso Martinis in five different airline bars. The best by some margin was made in the American Express Centurion Lounge, followed by Qantas, then Pier F, with the Bridge and Wing F a tie for bottom place. They were all drinkable, but the chap in the Amex lounge was definitely a pro. The bartender at Pier F needed a cheat sheet, but it wasn’t bad. I may be wrong got the impression the Bridge and Wing F might’ve used a pre-mix of some sort.
fluffymitten and stuart_f like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Will be using this facility in July, thanks for the info all. Our flight (on Swiss!) is late so to be able to drop off our stuff and enjoy our last day in town will be so handy.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:50 am

One weird thing I found (at least for transit passengers) is that you must have a paper boarding pass.

I flew into HKG and was refused when attempting to transit as I only had the e-boarding pass. The check-in counters at transit area were already closed so I had to clear immigration and got it printed out at some airport desk...
Old May 5, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct, that works fine in HKG and you can enter airside any time on the day of travel if HBO. I suspect the OP was having some problem with the booking / App for this to inhibit the App from doing a boarding pass. The usual cause would be missing or invalid API data, or some complex ticketing involved (e.g. Cathay plated where some people have selected British Subject rather than Citizen....). Usually UK passport holders shouldn't face issues on a return to the UK. Other reasons are explored in the main "Why can't I check in" thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
was travelling HBO, API was correct (BA agent on phone even confirmed my details). No connecting flight either

not sure what the issue was, but it was sorted at Kowloon
Old May 5, 2019, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by strayersong
One weird thing I found (at least for transit passengers) is that you must have a paper boarding pass.

I flew into HKG and was refused when attempting to transit as I only had the e-boarding pass. The check-in counters at transit area were already closed so I had to clear immigration and got it printed out at some airport desk...
i am not sure I understand this? You weren’t able to use a mobile bp at the connection points in HKG to go through connection security?
Old May 5, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

i am not sure I understand this? You weren’t able to use a mobile bp at the connection points in HKG to go through connection security?
Yes, must have it printed out.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Very odd since I have gone through connections there many times with a mobile bp.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Very odd since I have gone through connections there many times with a mobile bp.
Definitely fine to go through HKG blue signed Transfer channel (to use the local terminology) with mobile boarding passes. So long as it has either a barcode or a QR code that can be read by the airport security staff, it is good to for that purpose. They were one of the first airports to accept them.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
was it a BA flight or.....
Old May 6, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
This sounds great!
We're wanting to see the Big Buddha at Lantau before flying home, and was wondering what to do with the cases if check in at the airport didn't open until later.
Problem solved!

I take it we don't OLCI, and just check in at the Express station?
If you're going to be on Lantau anyway, you'll be able to use local transport to go to the airport instead of the express.

Because access to the check-in area bills you for your 'express' journey to the airport, and you're not actually going to take that train: So only send one person take the bags to the bag drop. This will cost HKD 110 to drop your bags, instead of HKD 110 per person.

Something about Hong Kong brings out my frugal side: I was checking the price list, and found that under 12s only pay HKD 55 for a trip to the airport and I was thinking, "I wonder if I could have checked in my family's bags at 11". Probably a good learning experience!
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by jerub
Because access to the check-in area bills you for your 'express' journey to the airport, and you're not actually going to take that train: So only send one person take the bags to the bag drop. This will cost HKD 110 to drop your bags, instead of HKD 110 per person.

Something about Hong Kong brings out my frugal side: I was checking the price list, and found that under 12s only pay HKD 55 for a trip to the airport and I was thinking, "I wonder if I could have checked in my family's bags at 11". Probably a good learning experience!
If your ticket had sufficient baggage allowance for all the bags, then probably yes. In the OP's case they couldn't get a BP because BA occasionally randomly requires a human to perform the check in and physically see the passport. I suspect that if this applies to several passengers, they won't get a BP without all actually presenting themselves at the check in desk.

Anyway, last year I spent an hour waiting for some family members at HK station, and I observed no fewer than 20 people just pull open the gates to ITCI and walk through unchallenged.
kaka likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jerub
If you're going to be on Lantau anyway, you'll be able to use local transport to go to the airport instead of the express.

tell the staff you are accompanying your U12 son to check in. Just make sure you dont also take the train.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Need paper pass at Skypier

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Definitely fine to go through HKG blue signed Transfer channel (to use the local terminology) with mobile boarding passes. So long as it has either a barcode or a QR code that can be read by the airport security staff, it is good to for that purpose. They were one of the first airports to accept them.
Unless it has changed in the last 3 months - as we now use the bridge from Macau which is quicker and cheaper - and doesn't mean you need to wait for 4+ hours at HKG from the last direct ferry..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.