Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA2671 AMS-LGW 29.04 - I Just Want You To Know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2671 AMS-LGW 29.04 - I Just Want You To Know

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:28 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I inferred that the OP had some notion that this dreadful individual actually read FlyerTalk. I couldn’t quite see why this was an open letter rather than s simple relating of events. It was a unique way of posting and it clearly disturbed some. If I’m honest, I think it was far too long, far too emotive, and very credible.

What I do find appalling is that he was not offloaded there and then. I feel sorry for the poor crew having to deal with this nonsense.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
What did he then do with his iPad that was so important? I once sat down behind a man in 1A looking ostentatiously stressed and busily tapping on an iPad, who told his child (1C) to speak to its mother across the aisle instead because he didn't have time right now. I peered around the side of the seat to see what was so important on his iPad and.... he was mid-way through a game of solitaire!

I almost said something, but you know, it is *British* Airways...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
When people are asked to gate-check a bag, what steps are normally taken to check if devices in the bag are off or in flight safe mode?
i know qantas specifically asks if there’s any laptops, power banks etc before gate checking bags. Not sure what other airlines have in place
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Op does not work for BA or LGW. However his wife is a very senior member of LGW security, possibly even the most senior.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just for a clarification you are absolutely allowed to transport laptops in the hold with Lithium Ion batteries in the devices. I regularly fly with around 36 Macbook Airs in the hold on BA, QF, QR, CX & SQ.

You are not allowed spare Lithium Ion batteries (i.e. loose) nor power banks.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
Op does not work for BA or LGW. However his wife is a very senior member of LGW security, possibly even the most senior.
Does that border on too much information?
Old May 1, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Does that border on too much information?
Don’t think so, considering the OP manages to slip in such details in nearly every post he makes.
IAMORGAN and WickedStepMother like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by rossmacd

Don’t think so, considering the OP manages to slip in such details in nearly every post he makes.
You’re right! That’s how I also know that Mrs CLAM is friends with one of BA's LGW Senior Team as they have a lot of interactions (as she's high up in GAL's Security Team).
Old May 1, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by V10
Difficult to know where to go with this one. Undoubtably the guy involved was an idiot of the very highest order (pity the children), but I'm not sure that the crew can overlook the issue of a device that is potentially not in the required flight safe mode being in the hold.
I feel for all the passengers delayed by these DYKWIAs and in now way do I criticise the OP for the rant... I would have done the same!

However, there are a couple of issues here that IMO should be addressed by the airline if they are to reduce/eliminate this kind of behaviour.

HBO fares seem a sensible way to allow a cheaper fare for those that can do without checked baggage but this will only ever properly work if the hand baggage rules are consistently enforced. I have travelled on two TP runs recently HBO and there wasn't a flight when it was obvious that people had hand baggage that was oversized or with too many items. While people can get away with getting on board with hand baggage that simply should have been checked then they will always try it on.

The issue of a single iPad being not in flight-safe mode delaying the aircraft at all is laughable IMO. On a few occasions I have accidentally left my phone in normal mode (I am normally very good at turning them off BTW!) and I have seen people actually using their phone to make calls whilst we take off. I am 100% convinced that on every flight it is highly likely that there will be some phones or tablets not in flight safe mode both in the cabin and in baggage. I am not convinced that the captain would have been too bothered by one iPad and I suspect that there is more to this delay than meets the eye... Just my opinion - or am I wrong about how electronic devices can or cannot affect on-board systems? If it was that important there would be a way that the flight crew could determine if there is any devices not in flight-safe mode. It seems to me not to be so important nowadays.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I feel for all the passengers delayed by these DYKWIAs and in now way do I criticise the OP for the rant... I would have done the same!

However, there are a couple of issues here that IMO should be addressed by the airline if they are to reduce/eliminate this kind of behaviour.

HBO fares seem a sensible way to allow a cheaper fare for those that can do without checked baggage but this will only ever properly work if the hand baggage rules are consistently enforced. I have travelled on two TP runs recently HBO and there wasn't a flight when it was obvious that people had hand baggage that was oversized or with too many items. While people can get away with getting on board with hand baggage that simply should have been checked then they will always try it on.

The issue of a single iPad being not in flight-safe mode delaying the aircraft at all is laughable IMO. On a few occasions I have accidentally left my phone in normal mode (I am normally very good at turning them off BTW!) and I have seen people actually using their phone to make calls whilst we take off. I am 100% convinced that on every flight it is highly likely that there will be some phones or tablets not in flight safe mode both in the cabin and in baggage. I am not convinced that the captain would have been too bothered by one iPad and I suspect that there is more to this delay than meets the eye... Just my opinion - or am I wrong about how electronic devices can or cannot affect on-board systems? If it was that important there would be a way that the flight crew could determine if there is any devices not in flight-safe mode. It seems to me not to be so important nowadays.
I believe it was that the Li battery powered device was on at all in the hold that was the perceived issue not that it was in flight safe mode which will not have bothered the crew.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
I believe it was that the Li battery powered device was on at all in the hold that was the perceived issue not that it was in flight safe mode which will not have bothered the crew.
Yes, that does make sense but again, I can't imagine that many flights leave the stand with no Li-Ion powered devices turned on in checked baggage... especially tablets and eReaders, which often only go into a low-power state when not in use and are seldom, or ever, powered down completely. I think you are right that it probably was the fact that there was a Li-Ion powered device powered on that was there issue here but isn't it really only paying lip-service to it when there were, in all likelihood, many such powered-on devices in the hold already and not declared.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
What's the flight time from AMS-LGW?
It's a pity people cannot do without iPads and such like for such a short flight.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, that does make sense but again, I can't imagine that many flights leave the stand with no Li-Ion powered devices turned on in checked baggage... especially tablets and eReaders, which often only go into a low-power state when not in use and are seldom, or ever, powered down completely. I think you are right that it probably was the fact that there was a Li-Ion powered device powered on that was there issue here but isn't it really only paying lip-service to it when there were, in all likelihood, many such powered-on devices in the hold already and not declared.
The crew surely can’t just ignore the fact they had been told there was a powered on device in the hold which could pose a fire risk? It doesn’t matter how many others may or may not have been in there, the fact here is they knew for sure there was one and where to find it.
navylad likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SHT88T
The crew surely can’t just ignore the fact they had been told there was a powered on device in the hold which could pose a fire risk? It doesn’t matter how many others may or may not have been in there, the fact here is they knew for sure there was one and where to find it.
Well, I don't exactly follow that logic when they don't check at all whether there are any others. If it really doesn't matter to the point where they don't check for any in hold baggage as a matter of routine then it isn't important enough to worry about that one IMO.

If it mattered that much they would check, as a matter of routine, that there are no turned on devices in hold baggage. They don't.

Personally, I feel that to delay the flight in this way for a turned on iPad (if that was the real reason) was unnecessary at best...
Old May 1, 2019, 11:59 am

Well, I don't exactly follow that logic when they don't check at all whether there are any others. If it really doesn't matter to the point where they don't check for any in hold baggage as a matter of routine then it isn't important enough to worry about that one IMO.

If it mattered that much they would check, as a matter of routine, that there are no turned on devices in hold baggage. They don't.

Personally, I feel that to delay the flight in this way for a turned on iPad (if that was the real reason) was unnecessary at best...
I tend to agree. One shouldn't have "don't ask, don't tell" policies when it comes to safety. They either do care or they don't. One shouldn't only care when one knows, that makes no sense if it is safety related.

rb211.
snaxmuppet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.