Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Worse, it almost feels like some directors in the company called a trainee on 26th April and said: We are going to change partner redemption rate on 30th May. Here is some information and go to write emails over the weekend to every BA EC members and send before 30th April so we made our efforts to inform the suckers one months in advance.

The trainee asked: there is not much detail about changes, sir.

The director said: we will decide on 29th May. Just send the emails first. Ask questions later.
‘Almost feels’ ?

That’s pretty much exactly it.
84fiero and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:38 pm

Have to say, apart from the odd Cathay Pacific business class hop SIN-BKK / SIN-HKG I never see any value in Avios on partners for myself - the value is in RFS in Europe or long haul with a 2-4-1 - no changes coming there (yet!)

Some specific sweet spots (e.g. Japan, South America, Qantas J trans cons) will be less sweet but I imagine most of us will be unaffected by this

Ridiculous they sent out an email without at least some examples to gauge the size. Could be a Malaysian style gutting or an SQ style +5% and nothing to worry about?!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K
a follower in one of the major blogs posted the following comment below. Not sure how true his data point is, so obviously, we should take it with a grain of salt. But if that's the case it's not too bad of an increase for Y bookings. However, i wonder how much J redemptions will go up by. I always thought J redemptions for flights up to 2000 miles was a great deal since it's just twice the cost of a Y award. I'm fearing that these J redemptions will go up dramatically. maybe 3x instead of 2x the Y rate.

======================
CashIsBetter says:April 29, 2019 at 2:32 pm I have at least one confirmed data point that prices are increasing. DFW-ORD on AA increasing from current 7500 to 9000 miles.Agents are not able to share full details of new award chart yet, but they can at least quote you what the new mileage will be if you call them with a specific route in mind.Agent strongly implied it is not dynamic pricing, but rather a categorical (and “relatively” modest) increase across the award chart.
======================
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Am I too hopeful that Cathay Dragon isn't listed (but Air Italy is)?
KA isn't listed as staying the same either, so guess which way they'll go...

Originally Posted by wiivile
It is not really acceptable to say 'changes will be happening from May 30th' but not announce what the changes are. So they MUST either:
Don't hold your breath. If we're lucky, we'll get advance details, but we could potentially only find out on the 30th, just like increases for cash bookings. It'll be nice, and useful, to know in advance, but they don't have to do anything.

The lack of information in today's communication is annoying, but it's slightly better than getting no notice at all. Slightly.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Come on folks. Many of you were glued to the forum in 2011 when BA announced the last major change to airline partner redemptions, so you know the drill. Pricing details will be released once all the contracts with the individual partners are agreed and signed.
Wouldn't a business usually agree and sign contracts before announcing changes?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I can see CX F JFK-HKG, for example, going from 140k to 200k here to possibly match QF LHR-SYD (or 160-180k if not too bad). Bad enough when that one went from 105k to 140k.
12.5 Avios for LAX-JFK in AA Y works very well for me. Less so when it's 7.5k for something like LAX-SFO. Who knows what they'll become?
I already won't spend 50k on AA transcon F and begrudge 37.5k for business. Not worth it for what there are, and I at least get the QF F lounge at LAX to ease the pain of Y, although that's not at all bad if you get a MCE seat.

The 7.5k to 9k for DFW-ORD mentioned earlier doesn't seem too bad. Would definitely need a bit more looking at to see how cash fares compare before making a booking.

As per usual though, BA have chosen not to inform me. Other than 3 emails about bookings I made (should have had loads more), I've had nothing from them since Dec when I filed a CEDR case against them.

Last edited by xenole; Apr 29, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
By asking the right way, I was able to figure out what the changes are. They are loaded up into BA reservation agents' computers so I just had to list out some specific routes in order to get the pricing, and cross-check them on multiple airlines.

Here's the new chart - you saw it here first.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TProphet
By asking the right way, I was able to figure out what the changes are. They are loaded up into BA reservation agents' computers so I just had to list out some specific routes in order to get the pricing, and cross-check them on multiple airlines.

Thanks, fantastic work!

For comparison then it looks like:

New Partner Rates

Assumes multipliers for W/J/F remain the same as noted below the table.

Existing Rates from the spending avios sticky

fishball likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by TProphet

Why would BA agents' computers be pricing under new rates before May 30..?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Depending on how you spend your Avios, looks like about a 10-20% devaluation.

Time to transfer a chunk of Avios over to IB?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
If these really are the new redemption rates, why were BA so reluctant to publish them? With the exception possibly of Band 1, are any or the increases so big they would become deal breakers for future travel? The announcement of upcoming changes has resulted in much negative reaction, most of which could have been avoided with a better managed PR machine.
84fiero and flyingeph12 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wb1969
If these really are the new redemption rates, why were BA so reluctant to publish them? With the exception possibly of Band 1, are any or the increases so big they would become deal breakers for future travel? The announcement of upcoming changes has resulted in much negative reaction, most of which could have been avoided with a better managed PR machine.
I echo this sentiment. If the new prices are such that they've already been programmed into agents' computers, there's no dynamic pricing being introduced, and the changes are not that bad, I don't understand why they wouldn't just publish the rates instead of keeping everyone guessing.

I wonder if the devaluations for J will be more drastic.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I don't get why they are not publishing it either.

As soon as e-mails go out announcing "changes", everybody naturally (and usually correctly) assumes the changes will be negative.

In this case, whilst the changes are undeniably negative, they don't seem to be as bad as many had feared.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks, fantastic work!

For comparison then it looks like:

New Partner Rates

Assumes multipliers for W/J/F remain the same as noted below the table.

Existing Rates from the spending avios sticky

If zone 1 is now priced according to this chart for flights in the USA (AA, AS), this would be an improvement!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Depending on how you spend your Avios, looks like about a 10-20% devaluation.

Time to transfer a chunk of Avios over to IB?
I bet they are going to change the IB chart too, with or without "warning"
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.