Wiki Posts
Search

5 of 21 CW seats going out empty?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
5 of 21 CW seats going out empty?

5 Seats in the first section of CW went out empty on Sunday’s flight 225 LHR>MSY. I heard a FA tell the purser there were 23 in the whole CW cabin so I assume there were vacancies in the second section as well. Is this normal? I would assume there were upgrades to be had.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
BA, unlike American carriers, will not automatically upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in premium cabins. They will only upgrade where there is a business need.
orbitmic, ajeleonard, GLA and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:20 am

All cabins will often have empty seats.
BA do not give out upgrades unless the lower cabins are over booked
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:21 am

This is totally normal for non-US based airlines. This is to do with long-term revenue protection, and training passengers to book into the cabin they wish to be seated. This is unlike US based carriers where upgrades are sometimes offered depending on how shiny your status card is.

I actually prefer the European model since it means that J or F cabins are not always completely full, meaning that service can be more personalised (YMMV, however, depending on the crew). In this case BA are willing to let a few seats go empty without destroying their yield.

The old adage of paying for where you want to sit comes into its own here, and not relying on luck to get into a higher cabin.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Totally normal - I've been in far emptier Club World cabins than that. As others have said, this approach protects BA's revenue and also makes for a more pleasant experience for those passengers who have booked and paid for premium seats from the outset.

What you do often see is that some award seats in Club World may be released again in the few days before departure, once BA figure out they won't sell too many more seats for cash!
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I dislike the way in which AA fills the First cabin by upgrading its status customers. It often results in an upgraded couple being in separate seats - or just one entitled customer not liking the seat he's been given - and putting pressure on other passengers to swap.
nancypants, Tobias-UK and Crismyth like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I dislike the way in which AA fills the First cabin by upgrading its status customers. It often results in an upgraded couple being in separate seats - or just one entitled customer not liking the seat he's been given - and putting pressure on other passengers to swap.
It can also mean that a passenger in paid F who misses a connection will have to be accommodated in Y or wait for some time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
On the other hand...

I would love if BA allowed Avios upgrades day-of-departure on a space available basis, even if at inflated Avios rates. Very useful for the occasions when it would make a big difference (e.g. last minute booking for unplanned event, when you have a cold(!) etc etc.).

e.g. Offering at 2x standard Avios for status-holders would effectively limit access to genuine FFers
stewaran, shefgab, TWCLAM and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Dambus; Apr 29, 2019 at 9:44 am Reason: (Added filter for status holder)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
I regularly see threads on the AA and DL boards (probably on the UA board as well but I don't go there) where people complain about how 'their' upgrade was 'stolen' and how dare they sell seats for money when they could have upgraded them!!

Some of the worst DYKWIA reports are from people who didn't make the cut or caused problems in the cabin such as wanting to switch seats.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dambus
On the other hand...

I would love if BA allowed Avios upgrades day-of-departure on a space available basis, even if at inflated Avios rates. Very useful for the occasions when it would make a big difference (e.g. last minute booking for unplanned event, when you have a cold(!) etc etc.).

e.g. Offering at 2x standard Avios would effectively limit access to genuine FFers
VS do on the day miles upgrades (for the usual price) but they still control the numbers so won't just fill out the cabin because there is space.

Also when they are overbooked they will go down the check-in queue asking if people want to upgrade using cash / miles rather than them having to do op-ups. Means they get some cash or reduce their miles liability instead of giving it away for free (which they still do if they get no takers)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
It is normal for US airlines to upgrade and fill F on DOMESTIC flights only

On any long haul TPAC or TATL they will absolutely follow the same procedure as BA and go out with empty seats in Business and Premium Economy if they aren't filled by paying passengers (Including paying with instruments)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There is some confusion here. AA and other US carriers do NOT give out complimentary upgrades on long haul international routes, unless it is a true op-up, while BA seems to be giving "taster" international upgrades more frequently. (I have gotten two upgrades from BA on TATL and none from AA as an Emerald).

As for the domestic upgrades, AA (and other US carriers) do give them out routinely as a matter of policy, but I would have thought that people would be hating on BA for not doing that, as opposed to the opposite, lol....
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
On the other hand...

e.g. Offering at 2x standard Avios would effectively limit access to genuine FFers
I agree more ways to use avios the better. But I'm not sure how offering it at 2x standard rates would limit access to genuine FFers? Surely to do that you'd need to also limit it to status members. Large amounts of avios (plus 2for1 voucher) can be built up with reward credit cards without ever taking an avios earning flight, as us Irish based fliers know all too well due to lack of such credit cards!
Dambus likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some misinformation in this thread which ought to be corrected.

None of the US carriers, especially AA, afford free upgrades on international flights. They do provide the occasional OPUP as does BA when necessary. But, all three will send their premium cabins out with empty seats if there are no takers and no operational need to fill.

While DL and UA provide free upgrades on domestic services to all elites, AA does not. It provides free upgrades to its two highest levels as well as its Concierge Key members. Others earn credits (called "stickers" because they once were) and may apply to use those on domestic flights >500 miles. AA does upgrade on micro-hauls (M500 miles) for all elites.

However, BA also offers all manner of upgrade "deals" at less than the posted fare difference. Thus, there really is little difference on international flights on a macro basis.
cjb666 and LondonElite like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
We flew out CW to Beijing in Feb and on the way out on the 789-9 twin cabin there were about 4 people in the smaller cabin (including us two) and I think about the same in the bigger cabin, chatted to the staff about it, they just said enjoy, its just like a private jet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.