BA Marmite

Old Apr 28, 19, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA, LY
BA Marmite

To be clear, Marmite is an abomination. Vegemite on the other hand is totally delicious and has significant nutritional value.

I now welcome religious debate and/or jokes on this topic.

Old Apr 28, 19, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've got Marmite with me in Buenos Aires, just to intrigue the breakfast catering team in my hotel.

This is clearly in New York, how is it different to proper Marmite?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:19 pm

Still makes me chuckle now.

I was in the Galleries Lounge at LHR last year and an elderly Chinese lady was helping herself to toast and spooned a large dollop of marmite onto a slice and tucked into a large bite.

She was expecting a chocolately taste and when the marmite experience exploded on her tastebuds the look on her face and the noise she made was pure total disgust.

She kept looking at the culprit substance with her tongue out making the strangest sounds.
enggeol, origin, Stez and 15 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:23 pm

I am a Marmite fan; where can I get this 100th anniversary edition?
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I often travel with a handful of the mini Marmite portions with me. And in longer trips will often take a small jar too. I am intrigued to learn more about this marmite, maybe it is along the lines of the XO Marmite limited edition from a few years ago.
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Apparently at LCY anyway, Marmite is the most confiscated item from hand luggage and it’s sold in 75g jars at the airport. pretty sure I’ve seen Boots in T5 sell them too at landslide and airside outlets.
Stez likes this.
Old Apr 28, 19, 7:29 pm

I had my jar of Marmite confiscated by Saudi customs. Because it said yeast on the outside they were of the opinion it could be used for wine making purposes.
Old Apr 28, 19, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Why is marmite a matter for religious debate?

Old Apr 28, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF WP
If you’d like to make it a matter of secular alcohol control policy debate, in many prisons and some Aboriginal communities in Australia Vegemite banned (in the misguided belief that “yeast extract” is useful for making alcohol)

(marmite being vegemite’s poor relation, associated with a lower class of prisoner/community)
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
If you’d like to make it a matter of secular alcohol control policy debate, in many prisons and some Aboriginal communities in Australia Vegemite banned (in the misguided belief that “yeast extract” is useful for making alcohol)

(marmite being vegemite’s poor relation, associated with a lower class of prisoner/community)
So can potatoes. And rice. Are they banned too? Won't anyone think of the carbs?!?!

And Vegemite is an exceedingly poor rip-off of the original savoury lusciousness that is Marmite.
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
So can potatoes. And rice. Are they banned too? Won't anyone think of the carbs?!?!

And Vegemite is an exceedingly poor rip-off of the original savoury lusciousness that is Marmite.
i never said it wasn’t an exceedingly stupid policy, just that it isn’t necessarily a religious madness!

(also marmite won’t protect you from drop bears so yet another win for vegemite &#128521
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Vegemite is an exceedingly poor rip-off of the original savoury lusciousness that is Marmite.
Thanks for respecting the spirit of the original post! Naturally, you’re wrong - Vegemite is obviously the corrected version of the clearly inferior Marmite.
Old Apr 29, 19, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by expataus View Post

Thanks for respecting the spirit of the original post! Naturally, you’re wrong - Vegemite is obviously the corrected version of the clearly inferior Marmite.
But as Vegemite is a rip-off of Marmite, it wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Marmite.

Old Apr 29, 19, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
There are Religious Wars and there are Marmite Wars. They share some characteristics, including fanatical views.

We are broadminded, and our larder contains both Marmite and Vegemite. When dealing with the quasi-religious fervour relating to those products, it seems wise to have a foot in both camps.
Cris L, nancypants and TedToToe like this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 12:29 am
Original Poster

... and no-one even made a good joke about how BA Marmite tastes just like regular Marmite, but with a hint of IT failure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: