Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your lifejacket is underneath your seat (or is it?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your lifejacket is underneath your seat (or is it?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerkit
Some newer 737 store the life jackets in the ceiling to save cost and simplify seats
  • The overhead life vest location is readily visible to a seated passenger.
  • Accessing the life vests is simple and obvious.
  • The centralized location of the life vest stowage offers a means for passengers to assist other people with life vest retrieval if required, similar to oxygen mask installation.
  • It provides an additional means for passengers to recognize their life vest stowage location by observing other passengers.
  • This location is more readily accessible to the larger passengers.
  • This location is not subject to damage from luggage or other passengers.
  • This location will minimize pilferage due to compartment visibility.
  • In a ditching situation the life vests will be available even during rising water.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Spot on.

I'd rather a parachute under the seat.
Not much use over water if you didn't also have the life jacket ...
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
My standard procedure when sitting down is to check life vest (I've never had a missing one in nearly 200 segments) and have a row count to the nearest exit. I have no fears about flying but think being at least remotely prepared is worthwhile, that along with paying attention to the safety briefings.

Story familiar to many I think, last flight back from Tel Aviv there was a woman sat next to me who kept her headphones in, on a phone conversation, during the safety briefing. Crew asked her to hang up, turn the phone off, and listen to the briefing. She replied she flys every week and knows what to do, the cabin crew asked her "where is the nearest door and how do you open it". A rather embarrassed passenger removed her headphones. She was a special one, claiming to "forget" to tell the crew she has a severe nut allergy about 2 hours into the flight and then having a tantrum about them serving peanuts
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I too always check. I like to know.

I know on (some) Ryanair planes, (and presumably some other 737 operators - as mentioned above), have the life jackets above your head near the oxygen masks. So if they aren’t below the seat they could be above you!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:02 am

FTer: I paid for premium champagne. I don't see it. Where is it?!?!!?

FTer: I paid for a lifejacket under my seat. I don't see it. Where's the premium champagne?

Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Generally always check but not had one missing so far

Count the seats to the nearest emergency exit

Always watch the crew safety demonstration as much out of courtesy to them as anything else

Often wonder why some life jackets have clips and others rely on people to tie a knot!
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Thanks for all your responses. I didn't dare to think people would steal them but I guess that's that. Also mine might just have slipped away since the velcro tape was quite old.

My view on this is that it's just a good habit, as small of an impact as it may have. Just like checking the contents of the storage pocket in front of you before leaving the aircraft But I can understand that some wouldn't want to bother with that - with good reason.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BA
I think the light and whistle that comes for free with your life jacket purchase is potentially of greater value after you’ve exited the plane.

If the slides detach as they are supposed to then you should only be in the water for minutes. I’ve no idea if there are enough space on the slides to accommodate all passengers, but no doubt an informed FTer will.

I’d be more worried about passengers inflating then inside the plane (a la Ethiopian Airways) and contributing to a problem.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Can't recall if it was one of the Air Crash Investigations programmes, but there I think I recall seeing a reenactment where a pax put on the life vest and inflated it for an on land crash landing, the theory being that it offered extra cushioning during impact. He also covered himself with the airline blanket which protected him from the fireball that went through the plane.
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I always check by feeling under the seat or looking for the red tab when in premium seating. Always found one so far

I have wondered what I should do if I didn't find it there... just report it to the CC I suppose in the hope they have a spare?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I always check by feeling under the seat or looking for the red tab when in premium seating. Always found one so far

I have wondered what I should do if I didn't find it there... just report it to the CC I suppose in the hope they have a spare?
I did just that after the security demonstration. In the A321 they had a box of spares in the emergency exit row, under one of the seats. Seemed like it wasn't a huge hassle except for the fact the staff was a bit surprised.
nancypants and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've never checked and don't care whether it's there. When I fly BA it is over the North Atlantic. My prospects of surviving a ditching are near zero. Hypothermia will get me before rescuers do. The only benefit of the life jacket therefore is facilitating recovery of my corpse.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by RB211
I always check.

But there are other things you can do to improve your chances of surviving an "accident" that provide a larger "bang for the buck" and most have already been mentioned...

Knowing how to get to your nearest exits, both in front and behind, and on both sides (not something emphasized by safety demos/videos) with the plane in any orientation and without being able to see.
Knowing how to unbuckle your seat belt in any orientation and without being able to see.
Having near instant access to a smoke hood.
Wearing sturdy shoes and clothing that is not going to melt with extreme heat, during take-off and landing.

If your are actually in an "accident" YMMV!

rb211.
Are you suggesting passengers on a commercial flight should try to access a smoke hood? That’s not equipment supplied by airlines as a matter of course is it?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I might have checked if I'd spotted something hanging down from underneath my seat, however my mind is usually on other things. Like wondering if the immaculate brunette checking my groin area is PUCCI GALORE.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dddc
Can't recall if it was one of the Air Crash Investigations programmes, but there I think I recall seeing a reenactment where a pax put on the life vest and inflated it for an on land crash landing, the theory being that it offered extra cushioning during impact. He also covered himself with the airline blanket which protected him from the fireball that went through the plane.
You are correct, it was Aircrash Investigation (got a bit addicted to that, but learned a lot that re-assures me when I fly). Interestingly it was that accident that led to recommendations of not storing duty-free alcohol in the overhead bins due to the increased risk (or effect?) of fire, versus alcohol being on the floor. Who puts their duty-free under the seat in front 100% of the time, and do any airlines ever enforce it?
T8191 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.