Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Theoretically speaking, if you were stuck at Heathrow...

Theoretically speaking, if you were stuck at Heathrow...

Old Apr 29, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I had this a few years ago at T5 because of snow - domestic connection cancelled before we departed SIN, rebooked service also looking dubious when we landed at LHR, so we were given a hotel voucher at landside check-in and it was then suggested to us by check-in staff that we could feed / watee ourselves in the Flounge before heading back out to get our taxi to hotel. Both GCHs. With hindsight I think we had recently moved to BA so maybe this was special treatment!
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

you will be moved landside

Totally not relevant to most here including myself, but if you don't have a UK visa, will you be a guest of the UK Border Force overnight?

Not ideal but at last you would have a small (locked) room and a matrass.

Globalist
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Malaysian cancelled an A380 late night at LHR a couple of years ago due to an air con issue.

I collected my bag and got a taxi home
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mjack99 View Post
After a long day of going almost nowhere, sitting at Carluccios for dinner, my daughter has an interesting question: if we were in the lounge and our flight got canceled and the next one was only the next day (the actual situation almost), would we be forced to leave the lounge and/or the airport? You often see people sleeping in airports but I can't imagine they let you do that at Heathrow.
HA ! That happened to me during a minor snowmaggadon at LHR. Went to the Arrivals lounge, was grudgingly allowed in. Since literally no one knew what was going on I asked the dragon lady what time do you close ? Her reply left me speechless. She said we will be open all night but you cannot stay in beyond 12 midnight as it will be the day after you landed ! Had a departing connection boarding pass on me, All I could muster was,"look at me, mark my name and by all means call the police to evict me after midnight". Never heard from anyone.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Tried sleeping overnight in an airport just once

it was the vacuum cleaners that kept me awake
I never quite slept at an airport as far as I can remember. The closest I got to was arriving on the "night ATH" on BA (which arrived at 2 or 3 am) with the intention of catching the first ferry to one of the islands from Piraeus, which was at around 8 or 9 am. Just too short to justify paying for a hotel room as I would only have had use for it for about 2-3 hours.

My logic was then that it would have been better to spend time at ATH than at Piraeus where there is basically nowhere to even sit at that time of the night.

After doing it, I decided that I'd pay for Sofitel at the airport next time, as I got no sleep at all.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globalist View Post
Totally not relevant to most here including myself, but if you don't have a UK visa, will you be a guest of the UK Border Force overnight?

Not ideal but at last you would have a small (locked) room and a matrass.

Globalist
You wouldn't be detained. There are procedures in place to allow people under such circumstances across the border where they wouldn't have any right of entry otherwise as they were expecting to connect airside.
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
You wouldn't be detained. There are procedures in place to allow people under such circumstances across the border where they wouldn't have any right of entry otherwise as they were expecting to connect airside.
That definitely didn't happen to a colleague, he was shunted to an area airside where he and others were expected to remain until morning.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bluemoon68 View Post
That definitely didn't happen to a colleague, he was shunted to an area airside where he and others were expected to remain until morning.
Very odd. Airside is closed overnight. Would your colleague need a visa to enter the UK?
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If they need a visa for the UK, and they are from a high risk country, and their circumstances were considered risky, then the Chief Immigration Officer may take the decision to deny admission. It doesn't result in a black mark, so they aren't considered deportees or some such. In which case if it is just a few people they may be given use of an office area at the back of the UK Border. If it's a lot of people then they'll have to use the seating in front of the UK Border, which is kept open 24/7. Generally though the Border Force will grant entry if it was clearly an unfortunate irrop that caused the problem, they liaise with BA to check the circumstances. T5 can go for weeks on end without anyone having a problem here. It's children that cause the biggest headaches since this sometimes requires Hillingdon Social Services to attend / assist at some crazy late hour.
Globalist, LondonAndy and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by NC Flyer View Post
........ - assuming any Emeralds would be camping out in the first place :-)
How do you think I afford the airfares??

It can be ok(ish). In recent years I've done:
HEL half a dozen times but too cheap to pay for a pod
HNL once, landside in designated area with a security guard; only people with onward flights allowed
LAX T4 where it was cold
OTP landside, twice with luggage so could not get through security til check in opened, ferociously hot
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold

Very odd. Airside is closed overnight. Would your colleague need a visa to enter the UK?
He would have needed a visa, I thought it was at the time of a major IRROPS eg snow, but I may be wrong. He claimed that airport staff directed him to an area airside and he didn't go anywhere near the border staff, but he or I may be confused.
Old Apr 30, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I never quite slept at an airport as far as I can remember. The closest I got to was arriving on the "night ATH" on BA (which arrived at 2 or 3 am) with the intention of catching the first ferry to one of the islands from Piraeus, which was at around 8 or 9 am.
We did that before after tagging on Greece to an ex-EU. Retuning from SIN via DOH, OSL and then LHR on the way to ATH. Got the bus to the bus station and then slept at the front of the queue for the Kalamata bus for 3 hours. I slept like a baby on that floor.
Old May 1, 19, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, BA CCR, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GFL, Qantas, Flying Blue, Miles and More
Originally Posted by origin View Post
I am not sure how old your girl is. But I suspect at some stage in life your comment might come back to haunt you. As I get older the only thing I have learnt is karma is a fact of life..
Too late I'm afraid. Its not the drinking I am proud of btw, its the quick wit :-)
Old May 1, 19, 8:26 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver

Sleepinginairports has several reports of passengers staying around T3 Gate 7 overnight.