FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wi-Fi in the Lounge at DME (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1967269-wi-fi-lounge-dme.html)

Buzzz Apr 28, 2019 6:13 am

Wi-Fi in the Lounge at DME

They've got a new system implemented that is so ridiculous it would be comical if I didn't have so much work to do. A free telephone call is now required from your mobile phone to ping your device onto the internet. Works a charm. The problem? The same system is in place for your laptop. You get a screen - yes, your computer screen - with a phone number that you click to "place a call". I know that there are computers out there that make phone calls, but come on. Access the wi-fi in the business lounge of an international airport.... with a phone call?!

My only choice was to get my phone on the wi-fi and use a hotspot tether to get my laptop on the internet.

Seriously?

golfmad Apr 28, 2019 6:39 am

I didn't think it was possible to tether your laptop to your phone using the WiFi connection established on the phone. How did you do that? When needed, I tether machines using the cellular data from my phone. I'm interested if there is indeed a way to pass the WiFi connection established on a phone to a tethered device but I don't think there is. If so, are you perhaps tethering your computer through your cellular data connection which might be costly?

armouredant Apr 28, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31045122)
I didn't think it was possible to tether your laptop to your phone using the WiFi connection established on the phone. How did you do that? When needed, I tether machines using the cellular data from my phone. I'm interested if there is indeed a way to pass the WiFi connection established on a phone to a tethered device but I don't think there is. If so, are you perhaps tethering your computer through your cellular data connection which might be costly?

You can do this via bluetooth or the USB cable on an iPhone, iirc.

golfmad Apr 28, 2019 6:45 am

Originally Posted by armouredant (Post 31045128)
You can do this via bluetooth or the USB cable on an iPhone, iirc.

That's my point though. I don't think you can share anything other than the phone's cellular data connection regardless of whether you use a cable, bluetooth or a persona hotspot.

skywardhunter Apr 28, 2019 7:00 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31045136)
That's my point though. I don't think you can share anything other than the phone's cellular data connection regardless of whether you use a cable, bluetooth or a persona hotspot.

Nope you can do it with WiFi, on Android at least. Works well for inflight WiFi where one logs in with FFP account and can only have on active device

DaveNCL Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am

Once you are past that screen (when the call doesn’t work) it should give you the SMS or email option for accessing a code.

Same system as SVO and it worked for me on Monday.

DYKWIA Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 31045171)
Nope you can do it with WiFi, on Android at least. Works well for inflight WiFi where one logs in with FFP account and can only have on active device

Yep, it's been available on some Android phones for a while. Great when you are in a hotel that has a limit on devices

Buzzz Apr 28, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by DaveNCL (Post 31045290)
Once you are past that screen (when the call doesn’t work) it should give you the SMS or email option for accessing a code.

Same system as SVO and it worked for me on Monday.

I tried desperately to get past that screen. There's even a button that says "use alternate method" that takes you back, each and every time, to the phone call button.

Saltire74 Apr 28, 2019 11:24 am

That must be fairly new then because it wasn’t like that 4 weeks ago (although they had actually changed the password after 2 years)

S

MrSimonR Apr 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Are you may be talking about the airport-wide WIFI - the network is called DME FREE. This does require a call. or a code by text.

The Navigator Lounge WIFI is called WiFi Business and until recently had the password businesswifi, which has just been changed (after 10+ years). I logged on simply with the new password 2 weeks ago.

Buzzz Apr 30, 2019 8:49 am

When I approached the dragons at reception for any possible advice, they were highly apologetic; said that it was all new and that they had no control over any of it.

I thought it might be good to provide a warning here; I spent 30 minutes trying to find a work-around and never could.

CPH-Flyer Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am

It is a very common methodology in Russia, it does normally work by keying in your mobile number on the screen on your laptop, and then call from your mobile to activate the WiFi

Though admittedly I have not tried to do it for phone and computer at the same time, as I always run dual SIM for phone data connection in Russia.

Behindthecurtain May 1, 2019 3:16 am

You were using the free WiFi in the airport not the navigator lounge WiFi which they give a password for.

the reason this is done is not BA. Russian Law requires a person using (public) WiFi to be identified unless it’s a private WiFi. Navigator is private and requires no password, airport WiFi is public and therefore an ID is needed.

this has been the case for a number of years and all public WiFi now requires this.

there is a second option you must have missed which is the SMS option where you enter your number and receive an SMS. Most Russians don’t use this as the call cost is basically zero to them, hence why the call
option is presented first.

Buzzz May 1, 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain (Post 31055378)
You were using the free WiFi in the airport not the navigator lounge WiFi which they give a password for.

Actually, I was using the Navigator lounge WiFi, which is called "Wifi Business", not the free airport WiFi. There was no password offered for WiFi business. As stated before, the lounge attendants indicated that the changes were very recent. They were armed with nothing more than a new desktop sign with instructions, which provided no help for anybody attempting to log on with a laptop.

MrSimonR May 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzz (Post 31055585)
Actually, I was using the Navigator lounge WiFi, which is called "Wifi Business", not the free airport WiFi. There was no password offered for WiFi business. As stated before, the lounge attendants indicated that the changes were very recent. They were armed with nothing more than a new desktop sign with instructions, which provided no help for anybody attempting to log on with a laptop.

It's actually because the Navigator Lounge WIFI has been switched off, as everyone is now required to connect using the airport wifi.

The network "WIFI Business" does not exist any more. The reason - according to the lounge agents - "new Russian rules".

The instructions on the lounge desk are to connect to the network "DME Business". This does not require you to call a local number. It then calls you back to verify it is you. And after this call back, you are connected.

There is also a network "DME Free". I managed to connect my laptop to DME Free without any call back, as far as I am aware (I have a SIM in the laptop), but it didn't ask for the number. So next time try DME Free if DME Business does not work.