Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot redeem Avios for trip to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; BA Executive Club; BMI Diamond Club; American Airlines
Cannot redeem Avios for trip to Canada

After many years as a faithful BA customer flying from Canada to the UK I am struggling to decide if it is worth having the account. We moved to the UK six years ago and due to the Home Office retaining various documents during that time have not travelled much. I just received British citizenship and wanted to fly to Canada to celebrate my mother's 85th birthday October which falls around the Canadian Thanksgiving as well visit an elderly aunt in Ottawa before flying to Victoria to see friends and subsequently fly back to the UK. BA's revamp of its rewards has made it impossible to use our household points to fly to Canada it seems.

I have spent the past ten hours trying to search ba.com's website to find flights that will fly to Ottawa from the UK but it won't list the Oneworld alliance flights that fly there. Tried to see if there were reward flight bookings from London to Toronto or New York then flying back to London from Victoria up-gradeable from WT+ to CW however none were available even with flexible dates or the web-site crashed or BA and One world don't fly to those cities. I have tried to use AA and Qantas sites to search availability however it seems the itinerary I need is rather obscure.

Anyone have any suggestions before I totally give up on BA? Looking forward to seeing insights from others.

Allison
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Allison, have a look at BA rewards through the BA App. Click on the hamburger (top right) and select Reward flights then touch Go under Reward Flight Finder. Failing that, try baredemptionfinder.com or others such as Awardnexus or ExpertFlyer. If you want to post some sample dates and cities I'm sure someone will take a look for you.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
As I understand things, you want a multi-city reward for LHR-Ottawa / Victorai or Vancouver-LHR. Is that correct? What class?

Flying from Ottawa to Victoria or Vancouver is not possible using a BA award because AA is not allowed to sell a routing between two Canadian cities with a connection in the US. And the Canadian airlines who could fly that route are not oneworld members. That willhave to be bought separately. Maybe try just the transatlantic flights and see how that goes as one way tickets so LHR-YOW and then YVR-LHR. Then when you find the flights as one ways, use the multi city feature to book or call in.

You might be able to fly from Victoria to Seattle on Alaska and then on to London on BA but you will have to call in for that routing since Alaska Airlines doesn't show up on the BA website offerings. Those flights do seem to show on AA.com.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Apr 27, 2019 at 4:37 pm Reason: add last sentence
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacline
I have spent the past ten hours trying to search ba.com's website to find flights that will fly to Ottawa from the UK but it won't list the Oneworld alliance flights that fly there. Tried to see if there were reward flight bookings from London to Toronto or New York then flying back to London from Victoria up-gradeable from WT+ to CW however none were available even with flexible dates or the web-site crashed or BA and One world don't fly to those cities. I have tried to use AA and Qantas sites to search availability however it seems the itinerary I need is rather obscure.
Trans Atlantic premium awards (x2) can be hard to get
Look at the airports to find out what airlines fly where.
Look for alternate airports
YYZ-YUL-NYC
SEA-VCR

Great Circle Mapper

Canada http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=YUL-YOW...A&MS=wls&DU=mi
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
As I understand things, you want a multi-city reward for LHR-Ottawa / Victorai or Vancouver-LHR. Is that correct? What class?

Flying from Ottawa to Victoria or Vancouver is not possible using a BA award because AA is not allowed to sell a routing between two Canadian cities with a connection in the US. And the Canadian airlines who could fly that route are not oneworld members. That willhave to be bought separately. Maybe try just the transatlantic flights and see how that goes as one way tickets so LHR-YOW and then YVR-LHR. Then when you find the flights as one ways, use the multi city feature to book or call in.

You might be able to fly from Victoria to Seattle on Alaska and then on to London on BA but you will have to call in for that routing since Alaska Airlines doesn't show up on the BA website offerings. Those flights do seem to show on AA.com.
Alaska will be offered on a very limited number of routings. There appears to be some weird married segment logic going on as I'm trying to get to YLW via SEA with the last leg on Alaska and it will only work with the morning Seattle flight. It might be better to call up for this one. Ottowa isn't served by BA, so you probably need to book to Toronto and make your way internally on separate tickets to Ottowa and Vancouver.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Alaska will be offered on a very limited number of routings. There appears to be some weird married segment logic going on as I'm trying to get to YLW via SEA with the last leg on Alaska and it will only work with the morning Seattle flight. It might be better to call up for this one. Ottowa isn't served by BA, so you probably need to book to Toronto and make your way internally on separate tickets to Ottowa and Vancouver.
My bad on Ottawa being served by BA. They fly to so many destinations in the US and Canada that I thought Ottawa was one of them. In that case, the OP will need to go via PHL (PHL-YOW can be done on AA) or to Toronto and then onward either by car or on AC. On the way back, either Alaska to SEA and then BA to LHR or make their own way to Vancouver and then BA home. And, as already mentioned, Ottawa to Victoria will have to be a cash ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
The easiest way is to fly LHR-YUL and then drive or take a bus/train to Ottawa. It's a <2hr drive. Ottawa is not particularly compact, either, so having a rental car is not a bad idea.

Within Canada, you have no option for domestic flights with avios, so you'll need to buy a one-way or return from YOW-YYJ. From YYJ, you'd have to fly from SEA or YVR back to LHR.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; BA Executive Club; BMI Diamond Club; American Airlines
Many thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. I will try again today using your recommendations and see what happens!
Old May 4, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by eefor jfp

I'd echo the above recommendation of flying to YUL (or YYZ) and then catching a train to Ottawa. VIA has some very nice services, and if you can get a discounted Business Class ticket it comes with a decent meal, drinks, etc., and the price can easily be down in the Ł50-60 range Montreal-Ottawa. There's a station a few minutes from Dorval, too.

Two other options to consider:
(1) You can always break a ticket somewhere in the US (so, for example, YUL-CHI/CHI-YVR), though this may involve a certain amount of inanity regarding baggage claiming.
(2) As far as going to Vancouver, the other option to put out on the table is to fly YUL/YYZ[/YOW]-SEA and then catch a train up to Vancouver. It's a beautiful train ride, and the evening train leaves late enough that traveling up there should be doable.

Price-wise this may not make sense (you might just be better off writing off an out-of-alliance ticket for a better fare), but the options do exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.