Sometimes Ba cabin crew are wrong!

Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes Ba cabin crew are wrong!

I was on BA 189 (LHR-EWR), the cabin crew announced that the blue US customs forms were no longer needed at US immigration and none would be given out. At immigration my travel documents credentials were not accepted by the machine and I was directed to the (long) line to see an immigration officer. When it was my turn he would not process me as I did not have a customs form! Eventually a form was found and once completed I was able to enter the USA. I was not the only person in this situation. I think the whole mixup added an hour to trying to get through immigration.

After I retrieved my luggage I went over to the BA checkin desk and spoke to a manager who said that an email had been sent to all crew that week to tell them they must distribute the forms, somehow my cabin crew had the wrong information.

So just a heads up, if going through Newark have a customs form handy.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Haven't had to fill the forms for some time now. If you're using the APC kiosks, forms are not required.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I have had the opposite where I was told one week the forms were not required at MIA. They weren't. The following week we were issued with the forms. I explained that they were not required (based on previous experience) but was ignored. They were not required.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:25 pm

A lot of US stations need them; a lot don’t. Sometimes some do and sometimes the same ones don’t.
There’s a piece of work ongoing to try and get accurate information from all the outstations in the States as to whether they are or aren’t required but until then the crew rely on out-dated information.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
If you use the kiosks the forms are no longer required as the printed receipt acts as the form. If however you do not wish to use the kiosk the forms should be available at the airport on arrival in the immigration hall.

That is my understanding of the new procedure and also what was announced on my recent flight.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonours, IHG, Bonvoy, KFC Colonel's club
I thought forms aren’t required anymore as you answer the questions on the APC kiosk.

I asked for a form too last year but was informed of the new rule - this was on AA
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
A lot of US stations need them; a lot don’t. Sometimes some do and sometimes the same ones don’t.
There’s a piece of work ongoing to try and get accurate information from all the outstations in the States as to whether they are or aren’t required but until then the crew rely on out-dated information.
Perhaps we should use FT to crowd source the information?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Not all ports of entry are equal, I can see why the crew have problems.

US Customs forms not handed out BA279 yesterday
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I always need to see a manned immigration desk due to the type of my visa. I always ask for an immigration form during the pre-arrival service ( if they haven't distributed yet ) and they simply hand an immigration form to me after the service is completed.

I also had an experience at JFK ( not BA Terminal 7 ) where the immigration officer asked the same "yes no" and "do you have anything to declare" questions as a conversation instead of an immigration form which wasn't distributed by the airline that I've flown.

In addition to this in all BA flights to IAD that I've flown in the last 6 months ( 2-3 times ), the crew had announced that passengers could use the kiosks if they have a valid ESTA or holds a visa that has been used before to enter the USA; however in IAD, there is no kiosks except for the Global Entry and Mobile Passport lane. All residents and visitors without Global Entry and Mobile Passport are asked to process at an immigration officer at IAD where an immigration form is required.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I haven’t seen anything saying we should give them out on EWR flights and personally I cannot see the point in giving them to everyone and then only one or two needing them. If your passport is not accepted by the APC kiosks a form should be available for you to complete there.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Sounds more like EWR customs need to sort their process out rather than the CC being wrong, I too had a message of if travelling on an ESTA no need for a form when I fly through JFK a fortnight ago, and I didn’t.

The ground crew however sound like they work for Pinocchio Air not BA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I haven’t seen anything saying we should give them out on EWR flights and personally I cannot see the point in giving them to everyone and then only one or two needing them. If your passport is not accepted by the APC kiosks a form should be available for you to complete there.
So 50 people can pass you in line? Hell no. Give me a form I don’t need and I wouldn’t care. Fail to give me one that I might need and I’ll hold the airline liable. I bill well over a thousand dollars an hour. Ever minute counts.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:31 pm

Ever thought of just ASKING for one? Or did I misunderstand your preference for EVERYONE to be given a form that the vast majority won't need?
SpeedbirdLHR and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
So 50 people can pass you in line? Hell no. Give me a form I don’t need and I wouldn’t care. Fail to give me one that I might need and I’ll hold the airline liable. I bill well over a thousand dollars an hour. Ever minute counts.
And still fly commercial. Lame
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound

Really!
JFK is the only station that I know that we do not give out the forms at all otherwise we come through the cabins with forms for those who cannot use the APC kiosks, I do hope that you take a form then as every minute I waste on idiots is a minute of my time wasted.
DYKWIA, Airprox, toothy and 13 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.