Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dream

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
...Anyone else had the dream when you're flying, but as you look out of window the ground is really really close? Even though you're at 38k feet, you still see the ground close.
In my line of work I encounter dreams quite a bit, and feel drawn to saying a bit more here. I find it helpful to consider that dream meaning(s) lie within the individual, and there are not reliable set external interpretations for different dreams. Another important thing to bear in mind is that everything in our dreams is created by us, so what happens in them we do to ourselves - so, if we allow them to, dreams can cast light on our relationship with ourselves. Bion said that dreaming is one of the ways that we are making sense of ourselves and our lives on an unconscious level - all the stimuli and not-yet-understood content of our lives and relationships are being processed on a deeper level when we dream - often working through (or reliving) unresolved psychological conflicts. These conflicts include such as sibling rivalry (which evolves to adult competitiveness), the Oedipus complex, forces towards living vs forces towards dying, our potency, and the conflicts between what we want and how we feel we must fit into the world, and representations (projections) of parts of ourselves that we are not comfortable with/have not integrated.

So here, in this case what isn't said is what the meaning was for you about the ground being close - if it meant danger, or if it was a comfort for example, and how you felt at the time and after your dream - anxious, disappointed etc And what else what else happened or did you notice? Encouraging curiosity and remembering detail - what sort of ground was it, and who else was around? What airline was it? (I hope BA haha to keep this loosely OT ) And then thinking about the why. Seriously, these are rhetorical questions, no answers required, but how you feel and the details of your dreams and what the different elements mean to you can be fruitful in understanding. Fascinating stuff!
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

Well you're in good company HIDDY - after all it was Freud who said that dreams were the royal road to the unconscious mind, and he loved his cigars. I fear though, that he may have been disappointed if presented with your dream; such a meagre feast compared to the bounteous playground of phallic/yonic symbolism so generously given by jdsworld
Thanks....never understood a word of it.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
In my line of work I encounter dreams quite a bit, and feel drawn to saying a bit more here. I find it helpful to consider that dream meaning(s) lie within the individual, and there are not reliable set external interpretations for different dreams. Another important thing to bear in mind is that everything in our dreams is created by us, so what happens in them we do to ourselves - so, if we allow them to, dreams can cast light on our relationship with ourselves. Bion said that dreaming is one of the ways that we are making sense of ourselves and our lives on an unconscious level - all the stimuli and not-yet-understood content of our lives and relationships are being processed on a deeper level when we dream - often working through (or reliving) unresolved psychological conflicts. These conflicts include such as sibling rivalry (which evolves to adult competitiveness), the Oedipus complex, forces towards living vs forces towards dying, our potency, and the conflicts between what we want and how we feel we must fit into the world, and representations (projections) of parts of ourselves that we are not comfortable with/have not integrated.

So here, in this case what isn't said is what the meaning was for you about the ground being close - if it meant danger, or if it was a comfort for example, and how you felt at the time and after your dream - anxious, disappointed etc And what else what else happened or did you notice? Encouraging curiosity and remembering detail - what sort of ground was it, and who else was around? What airline was it? (I hope BA haha to keep this loosely OT ) And then thinking about the why. Seriously, these are rhetorical questions, no answers required, but how you feel and the details of your dreams and what the different elements mean to you can be fruitful in understanding. Fascinating stuff!
Haha. Wow what an answer. Curious stuff indeed. Not sure about the meaning, curious to know how many people have the same. I still wake up sometimes after dreaming I didn't hand in my dissertation. I left university 14 years ago. The mind is a wonderful thing
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Next time, don't order the cheese plate.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikem004
Next time, don't order the cheese plate.
There was no cheese plate, the dream came true and I didn't get the upgrade to Club
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
There was no cheese plate, the dream came true and I didn't get the upgrade to Club
You need to upgrade your dreams first !
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Haha. Wow what an answer. Curious stuff indeed. Not sure about the meaning, curious to know how many people have the same. I still wake up sometimes after dreaming I didn't hand in my dissertation. I left university 14 years ago. The mind is a wonderful thing
I sometimes have a similar one. I dream I have yet to take my maths final. Then in the dream I stress because I know I am no longer able to do the stuff I am supposed to do. Then later I realise, 'but I passed that years ago'...

I don't know what it means if anything, but I think it's common for others to have similar dreams, just like dreams of flying.
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
You need to upgrade your dreams first !
Haha. Flying CW this summer on the dreamliner. It's a sign.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Dreamed last night I got a three class upgrade from Y to F on my flight to NY next month. Here’s hoping.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightly less at the moment, But I still get scared about the exam period around May / June. All these years later still having nightmares about not working hard enough when I was younger.
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Many years ago when I was at Uni., there were some quite sane Medics. However, the weird ones all did psychiatry. So I've always avoided Psychiatrists. As a group, their most loyal customers are their colleagues.
origin and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by bisonrav
dreamed last night i got a three class upgrade from y to f on my flight to ny next month. Here’s hoping.
dream on ! :d
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Many years ago when I was at Uni., there were some quite sane Medics. However, the weird ones all did psychiatry. So I've always avoided Psychiatrists. As a group, their most loyal customers are their colleagues.
Oh really, wow, attitudes toward mental health were so different back then. Out of interest, when were you at university?

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 30, 2019 at 4:04 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
At the risk of going off-thread, 70 to 75. (U/G and P/G)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.